Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Logic In Getting A Car With A More Powerful Engine?

Perhaps Lexus IS models aren't a good example as the engine range is limited but suppose you take a 3 series model range, you can have a 318, 320, 325, 330, etc I've never quite understood why one would actually need to buy a 330? If you stick to speed limits, etc, defensive driving surely that extra power over say a 320 (as a standard size) would never be used unless you were on the run from the police!

What's the point of the extra money for that size engine and lower mpg, higher insurance premium/insurance group, etc.

Perhaps Lexus IS models aren't a good example as the engine range is limited but suppose you take a 3 series model range, you can have a 318, 320, 325, 330, etc I've never quite understood why one would actually need to buy a 330? If you stick to speed limits, etc, defensive driving surely that extra power over say a 320 (as a standard size) would never be used unless you were on the run from the police!

What's the point of the extra money for that size engine and lower mpg, higher insurance premium/insurance group, etc.

thats not always true a few of my friends have bm's and the boy with the 330 is getting better mpg than the boy with the 318 bm's are heavy cars and its harder on the small engines their for poor mpg dont get me wrong on the 330 if he puts the foot down you can almost watch the fuel go down.

Years ago (the 1960's I think) Rover used to sell their cars (which were classy and high tech at the time) with the slogan of "power in reserve".

It's all about having the power when you need it, having quick acceleratation, effortless drive, and being able to cruise on the motorway with low revs. Plus with the BMW if you get a 318 or even the 320 on the new shape you don't get a 6cyl engine so it doesn't sound as nice.

Years ago (the 1960's I think) Rover used to sell their cars (which were classy and high tech at the time) with the slogan of "power in reserve".

It's all about having the power when you need it, having quick acceleratation, effortless drive, and being able to cruise on the motorway with low revs. Plus with the BMW if you get a 318 or even the 320 on the new shape you don't get a 6cyl engine so it doesn't sound as nice.

I've had everything from a 1.3 to a 3.0 both petrol and diesel. For me, the 3.0 (of which I am now on my third) it's all about the drive. My present GS - with the auto box - is just SO nice to drive. In fact, I would go so far to say it is one of the most relaxing drives I've had.

It is comforting to know you have power on tap and when tootling along 'its oh so quiet'! (wasn't that a song?) There is no way I would want to go back down the cc chain...

Generally speaking a larger engine is less stressed so smoother and you have plenty in reserve when you need to overtake. I love the feeling of reserve power and the wave of torque with a larger engine. You can also accelerate up to the speed limit quicker which is handy. I also like having power to push you out of corners.

If it was my own car I'd never want to get a low powered engine again!! :)

In my opinion, when it comes to engines, size is everything. You can have as much power as you want to but just remember, it will only go as fast depending on how far you push that pedal down. I do exactly the same speeds in my LS430 that I do in my automatic 1.2 litre Nissan Micra driving school car. I just don't push my foot down any where near as much in the LS.

There is somthing I really like about doing 70mph and seeing the rev counter showing 1,700 rpm. It is just so lazy compared to the Micra doing the best part of 3,000 rpm at 70 mph.

If I could afford it I would have a Mercedes S65 AMG on the drive. Now that has some serious grunt.

Cant speak for a BMW

have you tried an IS300 or GS300? .....the smoothness of the engine and the knowledge that when on the odd occasion :whistling: you need to floor it, well it will go and without too much effort

There is somthing I really like about doing 70mph and seeing the rev counter showing 1,700 rpm. It is just so lazy compared to the Micra doing the best part of 3,000 rpm at 70 mph.

Dammit my IS200 is doing about 3250rpm at 70mph, a bit too low geared for me on the motorway. Lower geared than a Micra by the sounds of it?!!?

i see the point because I like fast cars and powerfull engines, think this is where the "each to their own" comes into play, not having a dig at you japthree but by your logic stavs/yeldarbs/matt's engine conversions in their is200's are a waste of time?

I like the 'ease of driving' that the extra power of a bigger engines brings.

The engine in my current car is 1.8 supercharged and i love the extra low down grunt it has over the IS200. I'm by no means one of those drivers hes pedal to the metal all the time, but its good to know you have the power in reserve as and when you need it, without having to drop gears and what not (maybe im just a lazy driver).

When i change my car at the end of 2010, ill be 25 and providing i still have all my no claims (touch wood), i can't wait to get an even more powerful car.

In the words of Clarkson "POWAAAAAAAAAAAR"

No logic, no real point, both will get you around. But getting around isn't all some people want from a car, you included, you could have toyota yaris for far less than the price of your Lexus...it'll carry 4 people to speed limit too...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links