Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Supercharger Ceased!

Hey guys just a quick one!!

I was driving along yesterday and all of a sudden i heard a grinding noise, smelt burning rubber! when i pulled in the car lost all power and refused to turn over! at first it sounded like the engine had given up but after letting it cool down and turning over again sounded like the charger was struggling to turn!

I cut the belt off and the engine turned over fine! i wrapped the belt round the pulley and tried to spin it but no luck!!

I took it all apart today and have some pics for you to look at!

Not good :(

Seems that for some reason one of the rotars inside has ground against the bottom of the case where the bearings are and the metal has welded itself onto the case :(

ROTARS

chargerinternals.jpg

CASE

metalatthebottomofcase.jpg

CLOSER CASE

metalweldedatthebottomofcase.jpg

The bearings at the bottom of the case still move fine but my question is.......

Will i need to replace the case or can a good machineing/ engineer take off the metal that has transfered to the bottom of the case??

Will i need to replace the internal Rotars and where is the best place to get these from???

While its all off i will prob end up painting it all.... but most important thing is to get it fixed!! I think i will replace the bearings seeings as tits all apart! just not sure on where to get them from??

Any help or advise would be great.

very unhappy Tom.

A good machine shop should be able to help. i will show some pics to my brother, he is a machinest to see if he can help.

True gent!!

I have found some bearings and replacement oil on this website

http://www.darossi.com/catalog/index.php?c...e393cef72b70cea

Mine also doesnt seem to have an oil seal on the drive shaft?? can anyone confirm if this is the right on??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EATON-SUPER...sQ5fAccessories

+

How is it best to clean and smooth all the inside of the case.... easy to do yourself or best for a bachineist to hone it out??

Tom.

Gutted for you mate.

Your best bet will be to pm Rob as he rebuilt his charger unit and should have all the specs needed. but a good machinist should be able to clean it up for you.

Stav

Well just been down to my local machineits! He said i need to have it milled out and he doesnt have a milling machine to do it on :(

i do have a question regarding the Lobes/ Rotars. Is it possible to machine the ends flat again where the metal has been lost or do the ends of the lobes need to be close to the end ov the case? or do the shafts sit in the end of the bearings and dictate where it sits??

Tom.

it is scrap - throw it in the bin or send it to somewhere that will offer you a core exchange - mainly in the USA, i am unaware of anywhere in the UK that offers this service.

dont bother machining anything because u will loose the internal clearance between the rotor and the case and this low clearance is what a allows the air to be "pumped" and results in the pressure in the intake manifold.

looking at your pictures u also have a large amount of scoring on the internals of the case which i would also look at - how are the edges of the lobes? in normal operation there will be very very light scuff marks on the piant covering the edges of the rotors - im guessing u have no paint on the lobe edges??

it looks that the rotor lobe has moved on the shaft (shaft is pressed into the lobe) or see below... the rear bearing are only a support they do not provide any lateral stability.

dont attempt to repair the front bearings as the oil seals and bearings are a very unique size...

the only bearings i would attempt to replace at home are the rear bearings, i have ordered from darossi before and he is good to deal with.

yes u do have an oil seal but it is inside the nose section with the gears - the SC is in 3 parts the case, gear section with the rotors and the nose which goes over the gears and also retains the oil.

remove the nose section - u need to remove the pulley. and you will see the seal - it is a cheap and nasty looking aluminium housing wih a black rubber flap - if this is not there you had no oil in the gear drive unit which prob means the bearings have run dry, broken down and allowed the shaft to move backwards resulting in the mess u have today.

unless u can find somewhere in the UK that does overhauls or somewhere in the US that will do an exchange i would start looking for a new supercharger unit.

you are in luck - someone in the UK that does repairs -send them the pics and see what they say......

http://www.bennettracing.moonfruit.com/#/s...aton/4530011439

all may not be lost!

Cheers rob have sent them an e-mail and the pics.... just awaiting there reply!

Is it possible to get a M62 off an olk CLK remove the snout and replace it with mine???

Tom.

looking at your pictures u also have a large amount of scoring on the internals of the case which i would also look at - how are the edges of the lobes? in normal operation there will be very very light scuff marks on the piant covering the edges of the rotors - im guessing u have no paint on the lobe edges??

....There are only light scuffs on the egdes of the loves as you descrive.... no excessive wear or paint missing?

yes u do have an oil seal but it is inside the nose section with the gears - the SC is in 3 parts the case, gear section with the rotors and the nose which goes over the gears and also retains the oil.

....I had a look at the pics you have of your refurbishment and i have no oil seal where yours is??

remove the nose section - u need to remove the pulley. and you will see the seal - it is a cheap and nasty looking aluminium housing wih a black rubber flap - if this is not there you had no oil in the gear drive unit which prob means the bearings have run dry, broken down and allowed the shaft to move backwards resulting in the mess u have today.

....Removed it and took it all apart to inspect it and there is no oil seal yet when i removed the oil plug plenty came out??

you are in luck - someone in the UK that does repairs -send them the pics and see what they say......

http://www.bennettracing.moonfruit.com/#/s...aton/4530011439

all may not be lost!

Cheers rob have sent them an e-mail and the pics.... just awaiting there reply!

Is it possible to get a M62 off an olk CLK remove the snout and replace it with mine???

Tom.

yes mate - the old version of the M62 on the merc is exactly the same except our version uses the 3 screws to lock the drive mechanism so its always driven.

some had a conversion to a smaller pulley on the front but as long as its a m62 and the same shape as ours then u can just swap the drive pulley over.

any idea why it failed?

how many miles has it done??

its a but worrying that afterspending 2k on a unit this can happen! by the way, im not pointing any fingers here just being cautious as i may be in th market for one soon..

any idea why it failed?

its a but worrying that afterspending 2k on a unit this can happen! by the way, im not pointing any fingers here just being cautious as i may be in th market for one soon..

The reason it faild was it was running stupidly hot and the car was at a stand still.....

not sure on the mileage.... but i do abuse my car as i dont care that much about it tbh lol

Tom

any idea why it failed?

The reason it faild was it was running stupidly hot and the car was at a stand still.....

not sure on the mileage.... but i do abuse my car as i dont care that much about it tbh lol

Tom

O well never mind, maybe that defeats the object of being part of an owners club too

O well never mind, maybe that defeats the object of being part of an owners club too

Dont see how it does??? im still an owner of a lexus? Still update people on my car like others do in the way of when i clean it, modify it, ect..? Still need/ ask for help with my car the way others do when a commomn fault or otherwise arises?? Offer my advise or help other people best i can with there problems or learn from it and apply it to my car if it ever happens to me!!

Dont get me wrong i love my car to bits, but after crashing and riting my last one off its just not the most important thing..... when i say i dont care about it i mean in the way im not one of these people who has a cry/ nervous breakdown over a scratch, dent or tiny bump! Its just a piece of metal at the end of the day and a bit of fun...... if anything brakes i'll fix or replace it!

As it happens on my way home last night the dif decided to give up on me! nothng i can do, no point gettin upset about it and with it under warranty it means Lexus are replacing it and taking on the £1600 for a new diff and the labour charges! So dont bother me just means i dont have a car till next wednesday??

Tom.

update so far is i dont have the cash at the mo to have it fixed but will be giving it to the guys at Bennet Racing to look at as there not too far fromme! has roughly quoted me £250-300 for the work +£££ for bearings/ anything else i want doing! should have it there at the end of the month!

Tom.

• 1 month later...