Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi. No doubt about it. My wheels are in a mess. I've been looking around at wheels on the net. I have now discovered the tyre\wheel size. My first question is.. how can I be sure the wheels that I buy...perhaps second-hand ...will fit the car? I'm thinking here about the studs.

I've discovered that I need 225, 60, R16, 97, W/7.5j's, but as far as I know that has no bearing on the "fitting of the wheel" So is there a way to be sure of a certain wheel fitting my car?

Also, what are the different possibilities with regards to sizing. Can i go up in any sizes?

Can I help make my car drive around corners instead of navigating corners like a P&O ferry? Of course I understand that I can’t expect too much, but as the man from Tesco’s says. Every little helps!

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The PCD (stud diameter) of the Ls400 is 5x114.3

Usually when you go up in wheel size you go down in tyre size to prevent speedo misreadings. ie. if you would put on 18" wheels and you also want wider tyres the tyre size would ideally be 235 45 R18. this will only effect the speedo by 1.13%. (Of course the stock speedo is't dead accurate as it isn't calibrated)

As far as the cornering goes, lowering the car always makes it handle more sporty and in my opinion if you fit wider, lower tyres the car has to be lowered for cosmetic reasons :)

I've refurbished my wheels myself last year. Some sandpaper (incl wet & dry), about £15 of paint and they still look like new.

Hi and thanks to all respondents. Interesting about the sizing. Looks like a bit of a maze when you start mixing sizes and profiles. I always thought the wheels on this year model let the car down badly making the car look heavy and drab.

If someone reading this thread has a set of wheels, tyres or both, please drop me a line.

Thanks

Jeff

The other thing that you need to check is the "offset" of the wheel. This will usually be specified as a number preceded by "ET", e.g. "ET40", "ET50". See here for an explanation of why this is important. Although what that thread doesn't mention is that if you get the offset wrong, then the tyres may either stick out of the arch too far and/or rub the outer or inner of the arch.