Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Drove about a mile before it dawned on me what I'd done.

I had just been to a pretty hectic business meeting and my mind was elsewhere when I pulled into the petrol station and absent mindedly filled up - wife has a petrol car which she always manages to run practically dry when I need to use it for a trip down the tip (it's a hatchback).

RAC couldn't really help other than tow the car to the Lexus dealer in Cheltenham (the nearest to where I was) and the Lexus dealer wanted over £350 plus vat to look at it and he couldn't do it there and then.

I remembered that I am also a member of the AA so tried them. They have AA Fuel Assist.

I have to say, AA Fuel Assist are just brilliant.

Emptied the tank, flushed it through, stuck in 10 litres of diesel and Bob's your uncle - all at the roadside. Can't praise the service high enough.

Patrolman says he does this 4 of 5 times a day. If you're a member it costs a smidgen under £200 including vat. A bargain in my opinion.

Glad it wasnt to serious was thinking you weere going to post up the engine was stuffed or something good thing the AA offers such a good service for those of us that do make silly mistakes

Do the RAC not offer some service like that seems dafft if they dont maybe i need to change to the AA just incase as i drive all sorts of vehicles aome close many times lol

Rabs

Do the RAC not offer some service like that seems dafft if they dont maybe i need to change to the AA just incase as i drive all sorts of vehicles aome close many times lol

It does sound like a good service. The RAC are apparently planning to launch something similar, story here (very briefly).

Found this picture, which is kind of amusing :lol:

031racDM_468x351.jpg

Reminds me of a kinda funny story...a friend of mine was in the USA recently and hired a town car...he fills it at at self service station and then an attendant asks him in a drowl american accent "Sir..does that car take Diesel?"..."no"...he says..."well it does now " says the attendant...its cost him about $400!!!!

Patrolman says he does this 4 of 5 times a day. If you're a member it costs a smidgen under £200 including vat. A bargain in my opinion.

Wow, thats £250,000 per year for one man and his van.

I think I could do the job for £100 each and £125,000 per year. Looks like now would be a good time to knock up a business plan.

Wow, thats £250,000 per year for one man and his van.

I think I could do the job for £100 each and £125,000 per year. Looks like now would be a good time to knock up a business plan.

LOL - If you need an investor give me a nudge! ;)

Drove about a mile before it dawned on me what I'd done.

I had just been to a pretty hectic business meeting and my mind was elsewhere when I pulled into the petrol station and absent mindedly filled up - wife has a petrol car which she always manages to run practically dry when I need to use it for a trip down the tip (it's a hatchback).

RAC couldn't really help other than tow the car to the Lexus dealer in Cheltenham (the nearest to where I was) and the Lexus dealer wanted over £350 plus vat to look at it and he couldn't do it there and then.

I remembered that I am also a member of the AA so tried them. They have AA Fuel Assist.

I have to say, AA Fuel Assist are just brilliant.

Emptied the tank, flushed it through, stuck in 10 litres of diesel and Bob's your uncle - all at the roadside. Can't praise the service high enough.

lets get this right...it cost you £200 plus the cost of the fuel you put in.... say £60 :o so thats £260 odd... did they give you the fuel back?

and thats a bargain ?/? thats a 7 day holiday to mallorca... :whistling:

the same happened to my wifes friend. My father in law turned up with a pair of pliers, a bucket and a jerry can. He got a tank full of fuel for nowt.

Well yes, I would have much preferred to spend the money on a holiday but I was over 200 miles from home and had to get to London that evening for an early morning meeting the following day before returning to Leeds.

If it had happened whilst I was nearer home without the time constraints I might have sorted it out a different way.

I still think 200 quid isn't that bad, especially when Lexus were quoting me a lot more.

No, the RAC don't offer this service so I was really glad that I'd kept my AA membership as well.

My concern would be if the Lexus Dealership you contacted have logged this issue on the system...so in the future if you go in with a fuel system related issue, they will use this as a get out clause - I would always stay quiet until I absolutely needed to talk to my Dealer. VAG and BMW are very unforgiving on this issue and meticulously log any such instances for future use.