Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Installed My Tte Bumper Today, Should I Tell My Insurance About It?

Got my TTE bumper painted and installed today. Took a good few hours but it's worth it. Didn't bother to install the headlight washer though. Now, should I declare it to my insurance?

In a word, yes...........:)

Should make pretty much no difference to your premium (think it added £20 to mine for the whole TTE bodykit) but if you don't declare they could decline your insurance if you had an accident and they discovered an undeclared mod.........

On a side note, any pics of the install? :winky:

In a word, yes...........:)

Should make pretty much no difference to your premium (think it added £20 to mine for the whole TTE bodykit) but if you don't declare they could decline your insurance if you had an accident and they discovered an undeclared mod.........

On a side note, any pics of the install? :winky:

Thanks mate. I'll ring my insurance first thing in the morning. Sorry, couldn't take any pics because it was almost 9:30PM when I finished. Maybe tomorrow.

Is £60 plus £20 delivery (brand new bumper with used mesh) and £120 for painting a good price? Also, anyone got the part number for the L badge for the TTE grille? Mine doesn't have one and I like it badged. Thanks.

Richard

Dont think you would need to tell your insurance mate, because it was a factory fit option.

So thats the way it came out of the garage new :winky:

And the price you paid is a good one if its an original bumper and not a copy.

The TTE bumper was not a factory fit option, it was dealer fit, so it was a modification even for those who had it fitted from new.

Not sure how all insurers work, but Admiral ask you though whether the modification is an optional extra or aftermarket part, optional extras are much cheaper to insure :)

Can't seem to find my invoice for the L badge so not sure what the part number is, but your local Lexus dealer should be able to help.

so Mr Mole you havent told you insurer?

My insurance knows Everything that is on my car mate.

even the kerbed wheel ? :o

I'd let them no to, cos they won't pay out if you need to claim thy will do anyhting to get out of it, i have full kit, and tinted windows and it made no difrence to the premium at all, and if it does it'l be like said £20 at most i'd reckon,.. only thing is some insurers wont insure you if you have mods, the only time i've ever had insurance rises in large chuncks is when you declair engine mods and brakes

Thanks guys. I 've told my insurance about it this morning to be on the safe side. It was £42 added to the premium (£17 for the modification and £25 administration fee :tsktsk: ).

Thanks guys. I 've told my insurance about it this morning to be on the safe side. It was £42 added to the premium (£17 for the modification and £25 administration fee :tsktsk: ).

You're joking ? :ohmy: That's ridiculous. I got charged a similar fee for adding a K&N filter. I suggest changing your insurance company if they're going to take the p**s, find someone who's a lot more friendly to mods - e.g. Sky Insurance.

Which insurer is that? I've now had to make amendments twice (once for the bodykit, and then for the alloys), both times they tried to charge the admin fee but I asked really nicely that I'd been a customer for a few years, any chance they could waive the fee and they did it both times :D

you hve got the 18 inch lexus alloys. do you have to declare them?

Yep only got them recently, so let them know I now have "optional extra" alloys rather than the originals - barely changed the premium so better let them know than not :)

you hve got the 18 inch lexus alloys. do you have to declare them?

Yep only got them recently, so let them know I now have "optional extra" alloys rather than the originals - barely changed the premium so better let them know than not :)

i suppose i better tell them i have mines aswell :lol:

As promised, here's my newly installed bumper. Still missing the L on the grille and the TTE badge at the bottom. It needs lowering as well.

DSCN4033.jpg

DSCN4032.jpg

DSCN4031.jpg

The TTE bumper was not a factory fit option, it was dealer fit,

Slightly wrong, it was originally a dealer option fitted by Lexus GB not the dealers, although later it was available to buy as an accessory

Slightly wrong, it was originally a dealer option fitted by Lexus GB not the dealers, although later it was available to buy as an accessory

My bad, yep you're absolutely right :blush:

Bumper looks great btw :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again, one more question please. After fitting my tte bumper, I found out that the front part of the plastic tray (plastic part underneath the engine) is about 2 inches away from the bottom lip of the bumper so did not bother to connect it at first. Only connected the 2 screws on both sides of it. Also noticed that there is no hole on the bottom lip of the tte bumper to connect the tray with. My question is, is the front part of the tray suppose to be touching the bottom lip of the bumper once fitted or did anyone of you use a bracket to connect the two? If they are suppose to be touching then my bumper probably needs to be pushed in.

Thanks.

The thing is, would the average joe buy a used IS200 with the TTE bumper fitted and know they that need to tell their insurer? Of course not. The car doesn't look obviously modded with the TTE bumper and there's loads riding round with it fitted, I would say 99% have not declared it.

Personally I would not feel that a TTE bumper needed declaring, but another type of bumper that was more obviously non-standard would be a different story.

Where you're really asking for trouble with the insurance is if you fit an induction kit or exhaust or something that stands out a bit, and don't declare it, especially because it's a performance oriented part.

I agree with some of what you're saying Paradroid. But what happens if you crash your car which you've fitted the TTE bumper too, Lexus have a look at it and notice the bumper, then do a little search and manage to find a pic on the Internet of your car without a TTE bumper on, then refuse to pay out ?

It might sound a bit far-fetched, but I'd rather be on the safe side. Especially since mod-friendly insurers probably won't be bothered or increase your premiums for that.

As you say, performance-related parts are going to be of more interest to the insurers, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't declare the other bits.