Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exhaust Problems

Had a nightmare of a week with the 200. The exhaust has been blowing at the manifold - cat pipe gasket.

Gone through three garages and two sets of gaskets trying to get it sealed properly. :(

Been a right pain in the arse.

Then to really put the icing on the cake, my car got stuck 6 foot in the air on a carlift!

While at the last garage getting it fixed. Granted it ment I got it done for free,

but only after 2hours of stress with my car looking like it was going to fall off ramp! LOL!

One of those situation where you can laugh about it afterwards, but at the time I was pulling my hair out! :whistling:

Fingers crossed/Touch wood/throw salt over shoulder and any other thing you can do to be lucky, it hasn't started blowing again yet.

And if it does I think i'll have to get my hands dirty and sort it myself! LOL!

On a good note, started back at work this week, so got cash coming back in to start mods again! WOO!!!!!

James

Had a nightmare of a week with the 200. The exhaust has been blowing at the manifold - cat pipe gasket.

Gone through three garages and two sets of gaskets trying to get it sealed properly. :(

Been a right pain in the arse.

Then to really put the icing on the cake, my car got stuck 6 foot in the air on a carlift!

While at the last garage getting it fixed. Granted it ment I got it done for free,

but only after 2hours of stress with my car looking like it was going to fall off ramp! LOL!

One of those situation where you can laugh about it afterwards, but at the time I was pulling my hair out! :whistling:

Fingers crossed/Touch wood/throw salt over shoulder and any other thing you can do to be lucky, it hasn't started blowing again yet.

And if it does I think i'll have to get my hands dirty and sort it myself! LOL!

On a good note, started back at work this week, so got cash coming back in to start mods again! WOO!!!!!

James

Nightmare mate.. Glad it's over. Good luck in the new job... (lend us a tenner eh!!! lol)..

Col :winky: :hehe:

Nightmare mate.. Glad it's over. Good luck in the new job... (lend us a tenner eh!!! lol)..

Col :winky: :hehe:

Sorry mate, have to work week in hand, LOL ;)

so would you need a new manifold or it could be sorted?

And saying that just been out to the bank, and its blowing again. Can anyone shed any light on this? Why does it keep blowing?

I'm using genuine Lexus/Toyota gaskets, and the two garages I have used, one of them isn't cheap! ( the one that didn't get my car stuck 6foot in the air!)

Help, this is really bugging me and having the car sound like a tank.

James

Have spent most the afternoon trying different garages locally, and general consensus is I need a new Cat.

Gutted, the flange is warped and can't make a decent seal.

So going to have to buy a new one ready for MOT next week.

Anyone know where I might be able to get a high-flow or stainless steel one?

Depending on cost, I might use the oppertunity to get a decent one.

James

Have spent most the afternoon trying different garages locally, and general consensus is I need a new Cat.

James

So it isn't a gasket then? Does the cat' come straight off the manifold, or is it that the cat' is causing back pressure which blows the gasket? Wish I knew more about these things..... Doh!!! just cal me homer!!! lol....

Col.

:winky:

So it isn't a gasket then? Does the cat' come straight off the manifold, or is it that the cat' is causing back pressure which blows the gasket? Wish I knew more about these things..... Doh!!! just cal me homer!!! lol....

This diagram and this one show the various sections of the exhaust/cats/manifold.

The manifold contains two pre-cats, and this then joins onto the main exhaust (second diagram), which contains the main cat.

This diagram and this one show the various sections of the exhaust/cats/manifold.

The manifold contains two pre-cats, and this then joins onto the main exhaust (second diagram), which contains the main cat.

Cool diagrams. Now I understand. Quite a beast of an exhaust on the Lex...... :) :)

Col...

right so you need a new manifold?

Nope, its the Cat pipe thats buggered.

James

Col.

The flange (love that word) is knackered on the mid-section Cat part of my exhaust. And i'm not getting a decent enough seal and the thing keeps blowing.

Going to see if I can muster the cash to get the hi-flow one, but money is tight at the minute.

And time is running out too, as MOT is due next week.

Only other option is a local custom exhaust maker has said he can take both flanges off, and fabricate a new joint. This is a lot cheaper option, but mean my manifold will be cut up.

And if the system goes again i'd probably have to replace it.

James

James

Col.

The flange (love that word) is knackered on the mid-section Cat part of my exhaust. And i'm not getting a decent enough seal and the thing keeps blowing.

Going to see if I can muster the cash to get the hi-flow one, but money is tight at the minute.

Only other option is a local custom exhaust maker has said he can take both flanges off, and fabricate a new joint. This is a lot cheaper option, but mean my manifold will be cut up.

James

Eeeeek! Bummer.... get in to debt and do it properly.. It's worth it mate..

Col..

James

Col.

James

Eeeeek! Bummer.... get in to debt and do it properly.. It's worth it mate..

Col..

i would get it done properly and then forget about it

Yeah, going to try stretch and get the one off prolex.

Would i notice any improvements in power, or will I need to replace the rear section too??

James