Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How long does charge in the batteries last?

From full charge to empty.

I'm asking because I've been told the batteries leak power.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience of this.

Do you have to use the car every day to maintain good fuel ecconomy?

If you dont use it for a week do you find the Battery is empty?

You mean the 12v auxiliary Battery I presume?

I had a Prius for 4.5 years and now have a GS450h. Only Battery problem was with the Prius and that was the 12v one that packed up after 4 years and cost about £50 to replace.

The 12v Battery does discharge over time due the the alarm circuitry etc but concensus on Prius sites was you could leave it for at least two weeks with no problems.

The Traction batteries don't leak power. Never, ever heard of problems with them. As I've said before, I don't believe they are ever full or empty either because the car keeps them in an optimal charge range. The charge display just shows how charged they are within that range.

If you dont use it for a week do you find the battery is empty?

What does it matter if these batteries do leak power as the 12 volt Battery starts the petrol engine which in turn provides energy to re charge them, at worst it will be similar to discharge after running in heavy traffic.

I was concerend by these issues until I bought my GS450h but now never give it a second thought. Trust these designers !

What does it matter if these batteries do leak power as the 12 volt Battery starts the petrol engine which in turn provides energy to re charge them, at worst it will be similar to discharge after running in heavy traffic.

I was concerend by these issues until I bought my GS450h but now never give it a second thought. Trust these designers !

Interestingly, its not the 12v Battery that starts the petrol engine.

The 12v Battery powers up the electronics etc which in turn use the traction (hybrid) Battery and traction motor to spin the petrol engine which then starts.

This method prevents the usual vibration you get when an engine is started in the usual way from a starter motor. This is how the petrol engine can switch on and off unobtrusively.

In terms of Battery leakage its perfectly normal for the hybrid Battery to lose some of its charge when the vehicle is left, even if only for a short while. The Battery is constantly charging and dis-charging in use, which is in itself better for the Battery. I was told in a test a Prius was left for twelve months and apart from charging the 12v Battery there was enough charge still left in the hybrid cells to start the car!

One problem I have, is as I leave the car for extended periods, the 12v Battery not surprisingly goes flat. As the car is left in my garage which has a power point, I got a 'C-Tek' Battery charger which by way of a permenent link just plugs onto the Battery and can be left for extended periods without risk.

Regards

Keith

The 12v Battery powers up the electronics etc which in turn use the traction (hybrid) Battery and traction motor to spin the petrol engine which then starts.

This method prevents the usual vibration you get when an engine is started in the usual way from a starter motor. This is how the petrol engine can switch on and off unobtrusively.

In terms of Battery leakage its perfectly normal for the hybrid Battery to lose some of its charge when the vehicle is left, even if only for a short while. The Battery is constantly charging and dis-charging in use, which is in itself better for the Battery. I was told in a test a Prius was left for twelve months and apart from charging the 12v Battery there was enough charge still left in the hybrid cells to start the car!

One problem I have, is as I leave the car for extended periods, the 12v Battery not surprisingly goes flat. As the car is left in my garage which has a power point, I got a 'C-Tek' Battery charger which by way of a permenent link just plugs onto the Battery and can be left for extended periods without risk.

Regards

Keith

Thanks for that Keith, I stand corrected ! and will use my trickle charger when away for any period

Respect and regards Tony

Regards

Keith

100% agree

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links