Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Immoboliser Failure

IS200 May 1999 build. Done approx 85,000kms

The ignition lock is in the ACC position with the key removed.

The security light on the dash (which normally blinks) is OFF

The keys (all three, the two electronic ones and the valet key) will lock and unlock the car doors manually (ie by inserting into the driver's door lock) but none of the keys will remote lock, unlock, or open the boot.

No key will turn in the ignition. It cannot be turned from the ACC position. The steering is not locked and the wheels can be turned.

The Battery is charged. The radio is working.

I had taken the car from home on Saturday morning to the local shops. Locked and unlocked as usual. On to the next shop. Same. And onto a third destination. This is where the car failed. It is currently stuck (fortunately in a secure location) and is immobile.

I initially thought that the Battery in my key was flat, but trying the second key did not help. And, surprisingly, the valet key didn't work either. It was then I realised that the immoboliser light was not blinking (it was off). So I suspect a faulty immoboliser.

Is there a fuse?

Is there a reset procedure?

Should I disconnect and reconnect the Battery?

You can't turn the key in the ignition ? That is nothing to do with the immobiliser, sounds like the ignition barrel has broken.

Normally the key can't be removed in the ACC position, can it ? I think you've got a mechanical problem rather than an electronic one. I suspect that the lack of blinking of the Security light is a side effect of the problem with the ignition barrel.

Can someone else confirm that? (that the key cannot be removed in the ACC position)

The only times I have used the ACC position I have left the key in the ignition. So I can't say for certain if it can be removed. The owners manual doesn't say one way or the other.

How big a deal is it to replace the ignition lock and/or the cylinder?

If the cylinder is replaced does that mean new keys? or can a new cylinder be matched to the existing keys?

Just tried it in my car just to check, and sure enough, I can't remove the key in the ACC position, only in LOCK.

Your ignition barrel is definitely broken to some degree. I think that stuck barrels can be a problem, and are referenced in the knowledge base, here. Also there's a guide to swapping the barrel here in the Workshop section.

I would guess that you can get a new barrel which matches to the existing keys, though this is only a guess and I don't know for sure. As well as your Lexus/Toyota dealer you could also try enquiring with an auto locksmith.

EDIT - according to Rob's Workshop walkthrough it looks like my guess is correct.

Thinking about this some more, I would hazard a guess that the reason the Security light is off is because the ignition barrel is in the ACC position. I am guessing that it only operates in the LOCK position. So the immobiliser is probably not in operation and the car would probably start if you bypassed the ignition and hot-wired it.

The keys (all three, the two electronic ones and the valet key) will lock and unlock the car doors manually (ie by inserting into the driver's door lock) but none of the keys will remote lock, unlock, or open the boot.

Just reading this again, and I thought this bit was odd too, particularly about the boot (assuming I'm reading it correctly).

So none of the keys will manually unlock the boot ? Or are you just referring to the remote opening of the boot via the key button ? I've never tried it (I'll have to check) but I presume that the "sub" (valet) keys don't physically work on the boot, just like they don't work on the glovebox. If that's the case then that sounds like you don't have a master key, which will be another problem because you won't be able to program keys yourself (e.g. to make the remote locking/unlocking work), without the help of an auto locksmith or Toyota/Lexus.

As I said I need to check this on my own car though, unless someone else beats me to it with the facts on this.

Yes, I meant that the remote opening of the boot would not work.

I checked the owners manual and that is correct.

It states that "If the key is in the ignition switch, the trunk lid cannot be unlocked with the wireless key".

And thanks for the pointers to the workshop hints.

well known problem on the IS, look in workshop section for tips on the barrel.

BOBSMALL: get yourself to the dealer and order another key barrel ASAP they can get a new barrel only although some muppet dealers will try sell u a full lock kit for about £150 and labour to fit.

u can fit the barrel yourself and it takes about 30 mins to do and is very easy -guide in the workshop section

• 3 years later...

hi i'm a new member i have same problem can anyone help?it's not quite the same i've bought a new lexus well not new 2001 but last lexus is200 was a 1999 green auto not my favorite colour! Anyway got a scallatti red is200se manual love the car but took bat off and aux belts off for a week while changing timing belt and putting new water pump on it! Ignition barrel was stuck in ACC but a mate had a look at it and sorted it now works ok but security light won't come on!!! We had a look again and no joy! Steering lock still works ACC and lock still works everything but security light! Had Battery dissconnected, fuses out ,and it comes back on, till key touches barrel go's off again only not to come on again? I have the guide to reprogramme the alarm on key fob as car starts and run's fine!Any help please????I don't mind buying a new barrel but can i get a barrel made to fit key save's changing door locks?? Also my mate say's i can't programme key fob in till security light comes on??? ANY HELP PLEASE???????? please reply on here or e-mail me on garethchapman34@hotmail.co.uk thanks!!!