Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Gearbox Quit On Me

Hi guys. I own an IS200 99 Auto. My gearbox died on me last week. 1040 pounds to fix. Living in south africa so its really tough to find spares. Does anybody know if this is a common problem because I cant seem to find any info. 137500 mile on odo.

:crybaby:

What exactly happened, what are the symptoms ? I don't recall reading that it's common for auto gearboxes to go wrong, far from it.

Was it Lexus/Toyota who diagnosed the problem or someone else ?

I would have thought that finding gearbox from a breaker's would be the best option if it really is dead.

At first it felt as if the clutch was slipping, only after highway driving for about 60 miles. no problems in town driving. Had it checked out at our local dealer and they couldn't find the problem. Changed oil and told to keep an eye on it. Drove off. Last week thursday drove highway and it starded again. 2 miles later, no gears. Lowbed to workshop and had it checked the next day. Solinoid and something of a valve body. Anyway the whole thing needs a redo.

Was the auto transmission oil changed regularly (every 20K miles/30K km) ? And using the proper Toyota auto transmission fluid ?

UK service schedule doesn't require the oil to be changed at all, just checked for level. Not sure about South Africa though, might well be different.

UK service schedule doesn't require the oil to be changed at all, just checked for level. Not sure about South Africa though, might well be different.

I'm looking at a Lexus service schedule which suggests replacing the auto transmission oil every other service. Don't know what country that's from, the interval is specified in km.