Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

after washing the lex today, i noticed that the drivers side front and back electric windows have vertical scratches on the outside of the glass.

has anyone else noticed this problem?

No, none at all, and mine is three and a half years old now. May be worth checking the lip seals for grit. I always make a point of cleaning them with a paintbrush when washing the car to stop the usual build up of road 'dust'.

• 3 months later...
after washing the lex today, i noticed that the drivers side front and back electric windows have vertical scratches on the outside of the glass.

Hi,

The short answer is 'yes'. I never noticed them before. ( 2 months in to ownership) Drivers side only like you !

Not sure what to do about it ?

Just thought I'd let you know. (:-)

Cheers

Steve

IS250se 2006 MM

Hi,

The short answer is 'yes'. I never noticed them before. ( 2 months in to ownership) Drivers side only like you !

Not sure what to do about it ?

Just thought I'd let you know. (:-)

Cheers

Steve

IS250se 2006 MM

Yes I have them as well drivers side

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone work out where these scratches are coming from? I had them on the drivers side and now have noticed them on the passengers side as well, but its getting worse all of the time. My car is going in next month for a service, wondering if i should get them to have a look at it. My scratches are very deep so im wondering if there is anything inside the door thats causing them.

I understand that grit can get in between the glass and the seal but scratches have never appeared on any of the cars ive owned previously

Anyone work out where these scratches are coming from? I had them on the drivers side and now have noticed them on the passengers side as well, but its getting worse all of the time. My car is going in next month for a service, wondering if i should get them to have a look at it. My scratches are very deep so im wondering if there is anything inside the door thats causing them.

I understand that grit can get in between the glass and the seal but scratches have never appeared on any of the cars ive owned previously

I now have scratches on 3 out of four windows. Its out of warranty. I did try cleaning all the seals but couldnt find any grit. Approx 50 cars in over 30 years driving and i cant recall having this problem before (hence my original post). Mrs Jeromes windows & paint are heading the same was on her IS 250.

I am now resigned to enduring the scratches -- along with the comedy gearbox and easy scratch paint -- as I do actually like the car & the Lexus service.

Our next car was going to be an RX450h, but if the quality matches the 2 IS's we have now, then i can see a visit to J***ar or A**i being on the cards.

hi jerome my car has these scratches also. i am sure there is somewhere that polishes these out, so it may be worth doing a little bit of digging on the net.

Im sure mine will not polish out. You can feel a definate groove in the glass. Lexus are going to have a look when the car is in for service next month. Ill let you know how I get on. I will be very impressed if they do something about it.

I too have what appear to be scratches on every window that have only appeared in the last couple of years. However I can't actually feel a scratch at all. I have tried all the usual cheap remedies and none of them work. I will be getting one of those "kits" in a new attempt. It looks to me like my ice scraper is the culprit but it is a Vileda and is made of SOFT plastic. In theory it should not be possible for it to mark the glass. Never known anything like it in years of motoring. I was wondering if desert sand has landed and scraping the glass has marked it.

• 2 weeks later...

My rear drivers window had deep scratches (i'd probably call them grooves) when i bought it from Lexus Leicester. I never got around to taking it back which was foolish. I assumed it had been caused by some kind of random event not by an inherent fault with the car but from these posts it sounds like something in the door mechanism is causing this. It would be useful for us to post a few pics of the scratches to see if there is a common pattern to the scratches? I'll try and do this later in the week.

• 4 months later...

Hi All, Had my 460 two weeks now (its an 07). On a trip this weekend I lowered the front passenger window and when I raised it again I noticed vertical scratches on the glass. I immediately checked this, obviously thinking the scratches would be on the outside caused by some foreign object. It turned out they were on the inside of the glass and on investigation I found that the internal wiper strip at the base of the glass had been pulled down, I assume by the window on the down stroke i.e. folded over for a width of about 6 inches and stayed down when the window came back up. This was now very tight against the glass, what had actually scored the glass though I dont know. It would have to have been hard as the glass had a deep scratch from top to bottom like it had been scored with a glass cutter there are also more minor vertical scratches the full width of where the strip had been pulled down. I am going back to the dealer to see what they have to say. Obviously I want a new window and the fault rectifying. Like others in 50 years I have never experience this type of damage previously. I will let you know how I get on.

Like yourself I have owned many cars but it is only in recent years that any of my window glass has been scratched. Either glass is different or there is something different in the atmosphere. Not volcanic ash because it happened before that. In my experience no glass polish works and none of them now claim to. The only answer seems to employ an autoglass firm to fix it, at enormous cost, or buy a kit and spend hours with an drill doing it yourself. Even that will not cure it if the scratch is deep and the scratches will return again. Very depressing.

Been to the dealer and it appears that my car has been fitted with a tinted film on the glass. I didn't realise this as I thought the tint was standard. However they have agreed to replace both the strip and film, so can't complain about that.

I would add that the film is plastic and therefore easily damaged and it cant be polished out with glass polish. Any one who has suffered this should check to see if their car has been previously fitted with this type of film. If you look carefully along the edge of the window you might be able to detect the edge of the film. This should be removable and a new film added to replace it, hopefully.

• 3 months later...

Just been to the the Dealer to ask if the window could be changed under warranty had vertical scraches down the drivers window-

They checked the window and the outside trim and agreed that both needed replacing, but refused to do this under Warranty.

The cause thay stated was the outside Trim has broken down (although I can't see anything). They refused to fix under Warranty as 'a trim part is not a warrantable item'. Feel a little cheesed to say the least.

They have given me a quote for £240.

If the treim also does a mechanical job of stopping grit grinding the window, can this be classed as a mechanical part?

Cluytching at straws realluy - Any ideas?