Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi my 97 LS400 requires a full service and at the same time I will be having the timing belt, tensioners and water pump changed. The disks and pads need changing too!

In order to keep the costs low, I am endeavouring to purchase all the parts myself via the internet.

Does anyone have a recommended supplier?

There seems to be a myriad of brake types, including suppliers. Is there a preferred type like Mintex?

Are there many options of brakes and service parts or are they the same throughout the years?

What would be wonderful is a list of part numbers...........................

Thanks to you lovely, kind and wonderful folk.

Kindest regards,

David (Bristol)

it wont work out any cheaper.

i used to get my parts from USA but now with the exchange rate and postage its not worth it.

UK parts dealers are not really any cheaper than your local independent who'll do the serviceing can get them for.

unless you are doing the work yourself just let the independent service gargae supply the parts.

I have got to agree with the above post there's not much in the prices.

ADL Blueprint do quality timing belt kits but I would stick to Lexus for the brake pads and discs ( I tried cheaper pads on mine and they were rubbish) also get genuine oil and air filters but for the oil I use fully synthetic 5W-30 Texaco Havoline from Morrisons Supermarket petrol station at £16.95.

If you want the part numbers follow the link below and click on your chassis number from the selection at the bottom, there is every section you will need with all the part numbers.

If you tell the dealer you are an LOC member they will normally knock you 10% off the parts ( Derby do)

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q_E_1997_LEXUS_LS400_UCF20.html

it wont work out any cheaper.

i used to get my parts from USA but now with the exchange rate and postage its not worth it.

UK parts dealers are not really any cheaper than your local independent who'll do the serviceing can get them for.

unless you are doing the work yourself just let the independent service gargae supply the parts.

many thanks for the thoughts, the independent suggested I find the parts!

ADL Blueprint do quality timing belt kits but I would stick to Lexus for the brake pads and discs ( I tried cheaper pads on mine and they were rubbish) also get genuine oil and air filters but for the oil I use fully synthetic 5W-30 Texaco Havoline from Morrisons Supermarket petrol station at £16.95.

If you want the part numbers follow the link below and click on your chassis number from the selection at the bottom, there is every section you will need with all the part numbers.

If you tell the dealer you are an LOC member they will normally knock you 10% off the parts ( Derby do)

Thanks I will check that out tomorrow when I have the chassis number to hand. I have been given an excellent quote from Lexus for servicing and changing the timing belt, but then they wanted about £400 for the water pump and about the same for the idlers etc. I am normally a supporter of main dealer servicing, but this does seem extravagent! They also quoted nearly £800 to replace the front and rear disks and pads. I paid £1400 for the car and would have to pay a further £1900 plus to service it! I don't believe the parts can really be more expensive that I used to pay on my Rolls Royce!

I will take your advice though about the LOC member.

Kindest regards

David

Thanks I will check that out tomorrow when I have the chassis number to hand. I have been given an excellent quote from Lexus for servicing and changing the timing belt, but then they wanted about £400 for the water pump and about the same for the idlers etc. I am normally a supporter of main dealer servicing, but this does seem extravagent! They also quoted nearly £800 to replace the front and rear disks and pads. I paid £1400 for the car and would have to pay a further £1900 plus to service it! I don't believe the parts can really be more expensive that I used to pay on my Rolls Royce!

I will take your advice though about the LOC member.

Kindest regards

David

Checking my email again from Lexus gave a final total of £2074.07 for the above work!

I am wondering if this is part of an impending circus act! :whistling:

The brake stuff is easy enough to do.

Some say that the belt and pump are not too frightening but I was concerned about doing it out in the rain. I've done brakes but paid Lexus for the timing belt. No one suggested the water pump at that time so it got missed.

Take it to a grotty back street garage. You know, the ones where you cannot see the floor surface for all the dried oil and cack that has built up over the years and the succession of owners havent been arsed to clean and paint it. Check the quality of tools they use too, as people who use blackspur stuff know what end of a screwdriver to hold. And remember, very important this, the greater number of arse cracks you see the better the service.

Take it to a grotty back street garage. You know, the ones where you cannot see the floor surface for all the dried oil and cack that has built up over the years and the succession of owners havent been arsed to clean and paint it. Check the quality of tools they use too, as people who use blackspur stuff know what end of a screwdriver to hold. And remember, very important this, the greater number of arse cracks you see the better the service.

Or use a well run place with quality tools that does have crap on the floor because he's got so much work to do because he's always in demand he never gets a chance to clean it.

Or use a well run place with quality tools that does have crap on the floor because he's got so much work to do because he's always in demand he never gets a chance to clean it.

Oh dear, the post was only a bit of fun...sorry for any offense caused.

Or check out your own crack in the mirror and make a bloody oily mess on your mate's drive!

I`d like to apologise to all the owners of garages as I seem to have upset you.

Biggest to Twitmoi for not being aware you owned one too.

I will now leave this site in shame. Thanks for having me on here and thanks for all your help.

Thermoacc

Sorry that you took offense I wasn't having a crack at you.

It just seemed like a cheaper alternative! (and a cheery riposte)

BTW. I don't own a garage and there are pros and cons re. all garage operation styles.

This is not such a serious site that we get nasty...Honest!

Just a joke.

Stay and join in!

My local garage owner said my 2007 ls460 was made by TOYOTA! the cheeky blighter! I was most upset.

Margaret (my better half) said he was only jealous because he is an uneducated oik! she's bonkers!

David,

I had my cam belt idlers/tensioners and water pump changed by the Mechanic who has looked after all my cars for the past twenty odd years.

I would trust him over any Lexus quick fix fitter any day !

There are plenty of Ed China`s out there, you just need find someone who, like Ed, really know their onions.

Take a look at my thread HERE Regarding the cam belt change.

And because of the age of your car it really isn't worth taking to a LMD I mean £2074.07 is taking the urine !!

My local garage owner said my 2007 ls460 was made by TOYOTA! the cheeky blighter! I was most upset.

Margaret (my better half) said he was only jealous because he is an uneducated oik! she's bonkers!

I will stay on and keep my opinions to myself for a while now...It was the painkillers talking, making me nuts.

Mopar.....the Lexus is a Toyota and tell Margaret that not all garage owners/workers are uneducated. How would she feel if most of her days were to start with a phonecall about a back box for a 92` Astra 1.6? By the way..LS460....Nice car!

• 2 weeks later...
David,

I had my cam belt idlers/tensioners and water pump changed by the Mechanic who has looked after all my cars for the past twenty odd years.

I would trust him over any Lexus quick fix fitter any day !

There are plenty of Ed China`s out there, you just need find someone who, like Ed, really know their onions.

Take a look at my thread HERE Regarding the cam belt change.

And because of the age of your car it really isn't worth taking to a LMD I mean £2074.07 is taking the urine !!

Hi

Many thanks for your help and interest. The car is currently having all work done, but I have hit a snag. I will post a new topic as I would really like to know the answer!

Kindest regards

David