Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Morning all.

Although not new to the club I have been back and forward on the site for some time. I have been using the last year deciding if Lexus was the right move for me. After chatting to some members at last years JAE I have decided that now is the right time to buy. I have decided to buy a Mkii GS300 and was looking for some advice.

I am coming from Honda and I know my Honda's inside and out so I am kinder starting again.

What do I need to be looking out for when I go to check out these cars? Are there certain issues that are common on the 300, certain areas that are prone to rust etc.

Any advise woule be most appreciated.

I'm not a mk2 owner, but there are some shared components (or very similar) with the mk1.

Suspension wear is reasonably common on high milers, so get the bottom ball joints, top wishbone balljoints and bottom arm joints and bushes checked. So are reasonably cheap to sort, others are not.

Front and rear brake calipers and slide pins. This is a common issue on almost all Lexus models, they are prone to sticking pistons on the calipers or seized slide pins. Can show itself in a few ways but juddering through the steering wheel from warped discs can be a sign, or excessive heat felt on a single wheel after a long run.

ABS brake booster. Not a problem on the mk1, but a common issue on the mk2's so pay extra attention to it as it is expensive if you can't find a breaker who has one. Sometimes they are on eBay but even then are a £1500 item, main dealer is even more extortionate.

Display on stereo's are prone to failing I believe on the mk2.

Mk2 owners will have to take over and add anymore.

Tigerfish has covered it. The only problems I have had with my Mk2 sport is the front discs, one warped, then the new set bought, had one warped (buy from a rep dealer) and the second set seem fine. Had the sticky caliper pins and one seized caliper (sticky pins equals clunking when coming to a stop and possible wheel wobble).

As for the ball joints/wishbones, it is the high milers that will suffer (115,000 miles plus) though this is not gospel.

Apart from this, great engines, great gearboxes, lovely well made interiors, sweet ride. There are examples going on eBay with 200,000 miles plus. Buying one with the faults mentioned ain't so bad, once it is fixed you're away. Just identify the fault and drop the price offered accordingly. It is also reassuring to get one with full Lexus history, the service guy's are very thorough.

The stereo display is a problem, had mine fixed, now it is back again!

Sport = stiffer ride, nicer looks and a bit more kit (big alloys, spoiler, etc.) SE = comfy ride and most likely the Nav.

Do it, you wont regret it, just buy wisely as your post suggests you will.

I'm not a mk2 owner, but there are some shared components (or very similar) with the mk1.

Suspension wear is reasonably common on high milers, so get the bottom ball joints, top wishbone balljoints and bottom arm joints and bushes checked. So are reasonably cheap to sort, others are not.

Front and rear brake calipers and slide pins. This is a common issue on almost all Lexus models, they are prone to sticking pistons on the calipers or seized slide pins. Can show itself in a few ways but juddering through the steering wheel from warped discs can be a sign, or excessive heat felt on a single wheel after a long run.

ABS brake booster. Not a problem on the mk1, but a common issue on the mk2's so pay extra attention to it as it is expensive if you can't find a breaker who has one. Sometimes they are on ebay but even then are a £1500 item, main dealer is even more extortionate.

Display on stereo's are prone to failing I believe on the mk2.

Mk2 owners will have to take over and add anymore.

I have one of these for sale with all the issues OK I have had the front discs replaced with pads,rear pads replaced, and the big one (brake master cylinder brand new and it is the new type that did not have a problem,radio replaced.

Just had a full service with new plugs,and the auto trans fluid changed,two new front tyres in very good condition,alloy wheels just refurbished.

It is a 1999 GS300 sport with 88000 miles taxed till 28/02/2010 5 months MOT.

As Tigerfish says if you are going to buy a Mk2 you will have to hope the brake master cylinder does not pack up (very common fault) but as I have said this one has been done at a cost of £1500.00 + so due to the money spent on the car I am looking for £3500.00 minum.

Norman

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links