Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tapping Noise And Front Belts?

dispin

So I've started to hear this tapping noise and its started to annoy me. Unfortunatly I dont know if it has always been there or not. Even after ive been on a drive it still seems to be there. Also when i rev the car it seems to tap faster lol and if i press the clutch in it is still tapping! So I looked to see what the problem was. I kind of seems like its coming from where the front belts are. I tried to take a video to explain what I mean. I also noticed the front belts look worn but I dont know if thats how they are supposed to look. In my service history it says the cambelt was replaced at 58k miles so I dont think its that. My car now has 77k and is a 2000 (w reg) and passed its mot with this tapping noise and no one mention it so maybe in just being paraniod.

Here are the pictures of my front belts

DSC01950-1.jpg

DSC01951.jpg

DSC01954.jpg

DSC01955.jpg

And here is a video of the tapping noise. You can hear it starts after i rev the car.

th_MOV01956.jpg

I see (hear) what you mean. Does it make any difference if you turn the a/c on or off ?

Is the power steering fluid topped up ok ? How about the coolant level ?

I haven't tried it putting the a/c on. I'll go try that now. My power steering fluid is just below the minimum marker and I dont know how to check the coolant level. I looked where you pull the cap off and put the coolant in and its completly dry.

Was it inside the radiator that you looked ? That should be full always. The expansion tank is where you need to look, which is behind the radiator, and has a clear window showing the level. There's a black plastic cap on top of it. Top that up to full (using the proper Toyota long-life coolant, not just water), and top up your power steering fluid too.

Was it inside the radiator that you looked ? That should be full always. The expansion tank is where you need to look, which is behind the radiator, and has a clear window showing the level. There's a black plastic cap on top of it. Top that up to full (using the proper Toyota long-life coolant, not just water), and top up your power steering fluid too.

Well I finally found it and checked that and it looks empty! If I top these up should the noise go away? Do you think my belts look worn and need replaced or are they ok?

I don't know if topping them up will make the noise will go away, but it can't hurt, and it might help. So was it the radiator before that you looked in and that looked dry ? That's not normal and you should get that topped up ASAP (though with the proper coolant, as I said).

I don't really know about the belts. Can't see any obvious cracks on them from the photos, but it's difficult to tell. They also need to be tight enough but I would expect loose belts to make a squealing noise rather than the noise that you seem to have.

It could be the water pump making that noise, but again it's hard to tell from a distance.

Belts look fine to me.

I know these engines do sound a bit tappety if its a fairly fast tap rather that a rattle. Couldnt really tell too much from the video. In a way, sounded a bit bearingy - but don't want to panic you with that as could just be thats how it sounds with bonnet open and cover off - I havent listened to mine to be honest.

Top up the fluids and see how it goes, also the power steering fluid - check its level.

If the oil that was put in was a thinner type then tappets etc will be a little louder, but nothing to worry about.

That water pump looks new! Has your car had the cam belt changed by the last owner, check you service records to find out if it has, as the water pump should have being changed at the same time, if not might be water pump as Steive stated. Sounds like a bearing to me tho!

I don't know if topping them up will make the noise will go away, but it can't hurt, and it might help. So was it the radiator before that you looked in and that looked dry ? That's not normal and you should get that topped up ASAP (though with the proper coolant, as I said).

I don't really know about the belts. Can't see any obvious cracks on them from the photos, but it's difficult to tell. They also need to be tight enough but I would expect loose belts to make a squealing noise rather than the noise that you seem to have.

It could be the water pump making that noise, but again it's hard to tell from a distance.

No, i had looked where you pour the coolant in. It is a little black box with a pipe going down and has coolant on the cap. I'll go to Toyota and get them to top it up, hopefully that solves it. Thanks for your help :)

Belts look fine to me.

I know these engines do sound a bit tappety if its a fairly fast tap rather that a rattle. Couldnt really tell too much from the video. In a way, sounded a bit bearingy - but don't want to panic you with that as could just be thats how it sounds with bonnet open and cover off - I havent listened to mine to be honest.

Top up the fluids and see how it goes, also the power steering fluid - check its level.

If the oil that was put in was a thinner type then tappets etc will be a little louder, but nothing to worry about.

I dont thinks the oil because when i originally bought it at 72k miles it had just been serviced at 71k. I've only really noticed the noise in the past 1 or 2k miles. I was suprised with how loud it sounded when the bonnet open.

That water pump looks new! Has your car had the cam belt changed by the last owner, check you service records to find out if it has, as the water pump should have being changed at the same time, if not might be water pump as Steive stated. Sounds like a bearing to me tho!

I don't know where the water pump is but maybe it was replaced. It says in the service history the cambelt was changed at 58k miles so it could have been. My car now has 77k.

So if it is a bearing how much would it be to fix? It sounds expensive! :crybaby:

I'm a little bit worried spraying wd40 on. Wouldn't that affect the belts in a bad way? Anyway I'm going to take it and get the fluids filled up and ask if they can figure out what the noise is. Hopefully something simple.

So I went today to get all my fluids topped up. I asked about the noise and they didn't seem to think it was anything unusual. Anyway I decided I want to have the front belts changed so I booked it in for next Thursday. I also asked while they're doing that could they check the bearings ect and they will.

Dont spray WD40 on the belts, just in the area by the water pump or behind the pulley so it can run in and onto bearings etc.

why not???????no harm in it.. if it was a noisey belt you could eliminate the good ones by spraying wd on each belt and when it goes quiet you've found your problem belt(if it was a belt problem)silicone spray also protects against the belts going brittle

ps even spraying wd behind the water pump or pulleys wont help the bearings at all as they are the sealed type.

you any further forward with this matey?

No, it doesnt seem to be as loud now the fluids have been topped up but that could just be me thinking it should be. It goes in this Thursday for the front belts. Hopefully I'll know by then.

So the good news is my front belts have been changed and the bearings are fine. Apparently the noise isnt anything unusual, just the engine runing. I dont know; if the bearings are fine, maybe it is. I havent had a chance to listen to it yet but its still there.