Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Realibity Of An Astra !

Saraj

Well it was going to come to this soon, and it had happened today on the motorway !

THE cambelt went

Fortunally I stopped the car straight and called my good freinds the AA

Costed me an extra 93 quid to tow it to my local garage as I was 30 miles away

Hopefully the engine is not damaged, I literally travelled for about 30 metres with no power before managing to pull

what do you reckon? and how much do you think it would costs, if no damage to the engine??

any pointers welcome !

I better just scrap it and buy an IS200 !!!! lol

£700+ mate :o

seriously !!!????

I paid 900 for the car

For a garage to do the work, and it depends on how many valves you have bent, and you will have bent some :o

Thats the avg price £700+ and that not main dealer, well you will see tomorrow mate :duh:

Might be cheaper getting 2nd hand engine :o

8 valve engine is a safe engine so put a belt on it and it'll be fine if its a 16v remove the engine and throw it away!!as it will have bent the valves

well visited the garage this morning, who stated as the car is a 16v there is a 90% chance the valves are gone and need repairing,

he's suggested two options:

option 1: to repair which his quote is aprox £350, but he's said he can leave the parts to me if I want

option 2: to replace enginer, he said he got a few freinds who own scrapyards and may be able to get a replacement for £200, then would charge £150 for replacing it, costing again aprox £350, thats only if he can get an engine for £200

what do you reckon? I was looking at another car, but that would cost me aprox £1000 which I cannot afford.

Opinions please

Are you looking to get another IS200?

If so, scrap the Astra, save some £££ and buy a IS200.

How old is the Astra and whats it worth? If you can't afford a IS200 atm, get a £500 motor to get you by (for the time being)

If there's that much damage wouldn't the replacement engine be the better option if it's the same cost as you don't know how much damage there is in there?

Alternatively, cheap cars come up on eBay (like that saab that stav had?) so might be worth just scrapping it and finding something else.

yh would love to buy an is200 just cant afford it or its insurance.

Yh replacement engine would be better, if he can get one for £200, on eBay there going for £350 or £400 with gearbox.

Dont know what to do, its a shame as my sister just sold a megane for 281 on eBay could have had that

well just had the garage ring who said, its going to cost £250 for the engine and £150 for labor, totalling £400

but would be cheaper to repair, but i prefer the replacement.

the only thing im a bit dubious about is that the enginer he said is from the new astra shapes but he said it wont be a problem into the old shape.

uummmm.... but hes said he'll garuntee it so some re-assurance there then

Trouble with a secondhand engine is that you don't know if it has any problems so you could be buying trouble. Make sure you check what he is guaranteeing and also get it in writing. So many cheap cars about at the moment it may be woth looking at other cars.

i can see having further heart ache on this car

can just about afford the 400 for the replacement, not more, and thats only because my employer ended up paying me double my wage accidently lol

well ive given the go ahead,

thanks for the pointers kam05, couldnt find anything decent locally to me

went down to the garage on the way to town (walking lol) and he already had the engine out and the new engine delivered, i thought wow.

he said it should be ready by this evening, but ive told him not to rush, and dont really need the car till the weekend.

for some reason im looking forward to the new engine, may not be a clatty as the old one

just had AA ring me about the service I recieved from them when I broke down, and he pointed out i should take this out:

Link to AA

read about does sound interesting for the price, in this sittuation there would have had to pay the 400 bill from my garage, and all i pay is the 25 excess

what u reckon

just had AA ring me about the service I recieved from them when I broke down, and he pointed out i should take this out:

Link to AA

read about does sound interesting for the price, in this sittuation there would have had to pay the 400 bill from my garage, and all i pay is the 25 excess

what u reckon

Have you had a read of the T&C ? your car might have to have full service history, something no every 2nd hand car will have :D

well finally got my car back today

and basically the garage have lost money on it lol

he got the new engine fitted it only to find out that it would not work,

lol then he had to take it back out again get another and fit that one, which then worked

then the existing exhaust piece would not fit, so he had to replace that

at no extra cost to me, it cost me £450 in total im just glad to be back on the road

then again im going to miss driving my dads 04 Mazda 6