Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

98 Gs300 Transmission..hesitation And Jolt......

Hi there. Ive got a 98 gs300 with 117000km's(70000 miles). My car tends not to move at standstill much when in drive and when you put your foot down slowly on the accelerator, the car will drive, then revs drop for a second then it takes off . If you time the accelerator press smoothly, this does seem to happen and the care takes off faster. Everything else in beetween is fine but when comming down from second to first there is a hesitation to shift untill nearly at a stop, and a jolt will happen. The jolt seems to get worse the longer i drive the car. You can not notice it much for the first 5 minutes of driving but then it happens worse. I have driven the car like this for around 10000km's and nothing worse has happened yet. I know the last tranny oil change was at 60000kms(57000 k's ago). A transmission computer update also has not been installed. Is this something that will require opening the gearbox costing $$$ or is this a common problem with this model...please help.. thanks Alex.

I would try a fluid change first mate. What colour does the fluid look at the moment? if it is a dark colour, rather than a translucent red colour, it is due a change.

If this is a series I GS then the transmission is near built proof. Why was the fluid changed? It doesn't have a replacement schedule here in the UK. Was Toyota T-IV fluid used? Was the fluid just drained from the pan or a complete flush performed?

If this is a series I GS then the transmission is near built proof. Why was the fluid changed? It doesn't have a replacement schedule here in the UK. Was Toyota T-IV fluid used? Was the fluid just drained from the pan or a complete flush performed?

Hi mate. Its the second series i think. It has round headlights and a back like an IS200. They looked the same until 2003. Not sure how the Transmission service was performed or what sort of oil was used. I checked the oil and it seems to be dark reddish brown. If you scoop some up together, it looks more rustic brown than red.

I would try a fluid change first mate. What colour does the fluid look at the moment? if it is a dark colour, rather than a translucent red colour, it is due a change.

Yes , when a little is scooped together, it sort of looks more like a rustic brown than a red colour. It also seems to be filled up a little higher than beetween the 2 gauge marks on the stick. Are my symptoms normal for dirty tranny oil? :whistling:

the fluid shouldn't get dirty. I'm concerned that Toyota T-IV fluid wasn't used. I would recommend getting the fluid replaced.

Did you check the fluid level when the transmission was up to temperature and the engine running?