Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Low Has Your Fuel Been?

ive managed to get below the half way E, lowest ive been is when i was driving to the petrol station, when i was pressing the accelration hard nothing would happen, but slowly it would, filled it up and it went ok

I had a similar thread a while back when I got my tank really low as well, you did a bit better on the mileage though! :shutit:

332216732.jpg

Think you have around 10 Litres left when the light 1st comes on.??

Col...

that does make you think though how many miles coud actually be done, i remember when top gear did the fuel economy race and clarkson had a jag xj6 diesel and at the finish in blackpool still had enough fuel for something like 100 miles way after his fuel gauge said empty

that does make you think though how many miles coud actually be done, i remember when top gear did the fuel economy race and clarkson had a jag xj6 diesel and at the finish in blackpool still had enough fuel for something like 100 miles way after his fuel gauge said empty

Yeah, I remember that. Don't think I'll try it the Lex though... lol..

Col..

as the man above said the fuel is always drawn from the bottom so running it low wont do anymore harm than running it on full.

I have had my needle down below the E, almost touching the stopper, at usually around 360 miles.

The light comes on and i usually have around 60 miles left.

The most i've put in was almost 69 litres.

I've just been to Manchester and Leeds and got around 425 miles out of 1 tank and driving upto a ton when i had a chance, but not pushing too hard.

Cheers,

James

:D

you don't really wont to run on empty, all that junk at the bottom of the tank ....i try not to run it low.

but it always sucks fuel from the bottom of the tank.

http://www.bahamutcars.com/workshop/IS_98-...e/m_eg_0049.pdf

I Stand corrected lol thanks stav.

know my luck i'm going to run out and be stuck in the middle of nowhere when i try it

as the man above said the fuel is always drawn from the bottom so running it low wont do anymore harm than running it on full.

Errrrmm.. Homer here, but, what's a fuel filter for. Thought they were there to filter out crud, so, imaterial if yer runnin yer beast on low... DOH?????

Col :winky: :winky: :winky: :hehe::lol:

Most I put in was about 68.5 or so - had a pants moment on M25 thinking I wasn't gonna make it off but turned out OK :)

I guess the problem is that a lot of crud could block the fuel filter and therefore restrict the fuel flow?

I always let mine run very low but not for any particular reason, never had it as low as parthiban, nothin worse than pushing it and then gettin stuck in traffic and worrying u may not make it to the pumps, lol

I never fill full either, usually just half a tank, to save weight, altho I dunno how much difference the weight of fuel would make to the mpg...

I had a similar thread a while back when I got my tank really low as well, you did a bit better on the mileage though! :shutit:

332216732.jpg

I'm not an Automatic gear head, but what is an "ECT PWR" ?

Us Manual workers don't have that. :lol:

ive filled up 69.26 litres once (as you can see it scarred for life) resorted to doing 40 on a national speed limit A road so i cud get to a petrol station. got overtaken by grannies!!! ive pushed my luck in my last car and actually run out so it wasnt worth the risking doing normal speeds!

I'm not an Automatic gear head, but what is an "ECT PWR" ?

Us Manual workers don't have that. :lol:

Lol, that just puts the transmission in "power" mode - it makes the gearbox shift up later, and it shifts down much earlier than normal when you want to accelerate. Think it's also supposed to make the throttle more responsive too but can't say I notice a huge difference in that area.

I've actually tested this out, I ended up doing 170miles with £20 worth of petrol, all on the motorway but the last 30miles were at 60 because I was in desperate need for a service station. In the end I got off the motorway and came up toa roundabout and when i took a right exit I found the engine started to slowly cut off and revs dropped quickly and the power steering went for a few second or so until the car straightened up when I'm guessing the car got a feed of petrol back. SCARY STUFF!

At this point the needle was under the middle of the E, any more and I'm sure the car wouldn't run.