Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie - Gs300 Oil Leak

4001bass

Hi Everyone

Noticed small patch of oil under my GS300 this morning. Had a rummage round underneath this evening and the leak is coming from a corroded section of the pipe which loops in front of the radiator, I presume this is oil oil cooler pipe.

I have 3 questions I hope you can help me with...

- Does anyone have a engine diagram so I can confirm what part is needed ?

- Is it straight forward to replace, would I need special tools etc?

- Can anyone recommend a parts supplier for such a pipe?

Thanks in anticipation

Bryn

Sounds like you are talking about the power steering cooler. Take a look at this diagram clicky Diagram is for a Mk2 GS, not sure what year yours is though.

Tigerfish, thanks for such a quick reply. My GS 300 is a '98-'99 series II and you are right, the clicky diagram shows it to be the powersteering cooler.

How are these to fit? Is there anything complicated about it (apart from it looking a bit awkward to get in)

Thanks again

Bryn

I can't see anything that looks too troublesome, a couple of pipe clamps maybe to avoid too much fluid loss. Having said that, I only have my Mk1 to look at, not a mk2, and they are slightly different.

I can't see anything that looks too troublesome, a couple of pipe clamps maybe to avoid too much fluid loss. Having said that, I only have my Mk1 to look at, not a mk2, and they are slightly different.

Thanks again - Lexus in Stoke quoted £169 for the part + £8 for replacement fluids, so I'm trying to source a used part. A breaker told me that they'd not usually salvage such a part as it's not a popular part to sell. So if anyone knows of a MkII GS300 being parted out I'd be interested to hear about it.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Bryn

Hi Everyone

Noticed small patch of oil under my GS300 this morning. Had a rummage round underneath this evening and the leak is coming from a corroded section of the pipe which loops in front of the radiator, I presume this is oil oil cooler pipe.

Thanks in anticipation

Bryn

Hi Bryn

I had the same with mine it seems to be a common fault,what I have done is sleeved it with a piece of plastic piping and jubilee clips and it works fine in fact when I had my last service he commented on what a good idea it was and saved a lot of stripping down to replace the whole pipe.

You won't get it leaking there again if you look at the rest of the pipe I think you will see the rest is fine.

Hi Everyone

Thanks in anticipation

Bryn

Hi Bryn

I had the same with mine it seems to be a common fault,what I have done is sleeved it with a piece of plastic piping and jubilee clips and it works fine in fact when I had my last service he commented on what a good idea it was and saved a lot of stripping down to replace the whole pipe.

You won't get it leaking there again if you look at the rest of the pipe I think you will see the rest is fine.

Brilliant suggestion, much appreciated!! The breakers are all asking around £100 for a replacement so will definately try your idea

Cheers, Bryn

Hi Everyone

Thanks in anticipation

Bryn

Hi Bryn

Brilliant suggestion, much appreciated!! The breakers are all asking around £100 for a replacement so will definately try your idea

Cheers, Bryn

Just a quick upadate. The corroded section was chopped out replaced it with a flexible pipe/jubilee clips.

It's been on a week, no further leaks.

Thanks again to Norlec and Tigerfish

Bryn

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links