Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mot Fail......vosa Or Tossa

Manc

Hello,

Bloody emissions......bloody government.....they dont tell the aircraft industry to stick a probe up their pipes......

Well, I've not been on for a while as my 93 LS400 has been fine for a year or so, but as u can see i now have several problems at once and the emissions bill could kill the car........

You see, its a K plate and over 5 years I have spent around 1500 on the car, 3 out of 4 front suspension control arms have been replaced, the blinking dash syndrome was fixed, p/s leak fixed, servicing etc

The engine seems to be A1 (apart from the engine warning light giving me 3 error codes that are all air related) and still drives superb.

But this MOT has thrown me a few problems.

- The o/s/f upper control arm needs to be replaced at £400 + labour, (both lowers were replaced but like the tight arse i am, i only got 1 upper arm replaced 2 yrs ago!and its all coming back to haunt me now)

- Brake pipe has rusted a hole in itself (a long pipe running between the rear wheels), but Lexus quoted only £30 for this inc fluid??? whilst this is done, i need the calipers servicing and pads all round, and h/brake tightening (already got caliper kit and pads) but i can imagine a few hours labour for these jobs

- 2 tyres need replacing and 4 wheels need sorting for slow leaks due to age

- Warning for both rear upper suspension arms to be replaced soon (@ around 150 each + labour which isnt that bad)

- and finally - the bloody emissions

The garage where its parked says replace the cats but they gotta be having a laugh? The cars only worth around 1000 (if that) and 2 cats exceed that without the rest of the work being done...I can see a £2000+ bill coming...bloody do-gooders!!! obviously dont know about L.O.C then do they

I only seem to come on here and moan i know.....but this site has helped me in the past and i need good advice again this time as again, i cannot be the one to scrap a lexus.....just no way.....i cannot do it

even selling for parts does not sit right with me....the engine is still sound and i can't accept i might have to let it go because of some government green tree hugger sat in his office on a mission to save the planet (even tho' its a natural cycle anyway) and deciding old cars are just dirty and must be binned (to get people to sign up to finance and get into even more debt...yeah right mate!), but aircraft can just stay as they are kicking out a million times more carbon than all the cars in the world put together.

VOSA or TOSsA???? hehehe

I know i need to find a garage who know the score and whose owner hasnt got a top end 58 plate jag.....says it all yeah?

but now the police have auto reg cams, i cant take it all the way back to my home town and a to friendly face....

After all that......how can i get the emissions down a bit?? I was gonna try cleaning all the air intakes and MAF, but noticed on a post that someones O2 sensors packed up after cleaning and his engine ran funny....

I have only basic mechanical skills but have got the effort and willing to try to save my car from its foreseeable doom..

HELP!!!!!

Depending on how serious you think all the problems are it might be worth trying another MOT station. I took a car for an MOT years ago and they came out with all sorts of problems, I thought they were being a bit picky, took it to another station and it passed with one advisory.

Agree with 'jamesholden'.

I always go to an MOT station that does'nt do repairs, you get no favours but there is no point in

giving you a load of tosh when they cannot benefit!

have a ring around your local motorfactors and see what prices they can offer.fitted a few cats to various cars and always have a shop around for prices.some offer a choice of a cats .price wise.sutton auto factors may be close to you.there in sutton in ashfield.

Maybe this will help with the cats...... clicky or clicky 2

Thanks tiger,

the links have proved to be cheap - wether they are reliable or not (only a 2yr guarantee) remains to be seen but at that price and the cost of the rest of the work, then it seems the best short term fix....

Info on the lambda sensor too so loads to look into before deciding if its worth fixing at all, selling for parts or the dreaded thought of scrapping such a quality motor :duh:

Its strangely becoming one of the hardest decisions i've ever had to make

I recently failed an MOT on emissions too. Went to a lot of trouble to replace the lambda sensors (even wrote it up on my website http://www.chrisward.org.uk/) but it made no difference. I now suspect the EGR pipe.

Fortunately the MOT station were friendly and found a way to get through the test but I'd like to get it fixed.

Maybe this will help with the cats...... clicky or clicky 2

Thanks tiger,

the links have proved to be cheap - wether they are reliable or not (only a 2yr guarantee) remains to be seen but at that price and the cost of the rest of the work, then it seems the best short term fix....

Info on the lambda sensor too so loads to look into before deciding if its worth fixing at all, selling for parts or the dreaded thought of scrapping such a quality motor :duh:

Its strangely becoming one of the hardest decisions i've ever had to make

Send me a pm on what's left to do on the car and i'll point you in the right direction.

Barrie.

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
Just a quick note on this old thread! I've had a cracked egr pipe before that sent the emissions on mine through the roof!!

What did you do? How much was it? and where exactly is it?

Above the manifold i know but i havnt looked underneath yet.... My driveway has horrible slopes and I feel unsafe when under it. (off road for 2 more weeks yet)

I can hear the slightly more V8 sound of a Lexus blowing, at ignition, when the bonnets up, or in confined spaces so my suspicions have now turned to that EGR pipe.

Sorted the other stuff except the eng warning light (all 3 warnings relate to connectors from various parts to the management system, so hopefully a clean will be just the job. I know its not usaully that simple, but reading the info thats the only thing that links the 3 codes together)

Its been ages i know, but i have had use of another car so i let it slip a bit :blink:

I'll no doubt let you know how i get on, theres just no way i could bear seeing cobwebs on her anymore

Time to call it a day with this car.

:D nah, not the car, I think it will run forever, I might call it a day with this country soon tho........this site is one of the only places left that dont try to rip you off all the time...and i can get this anywhere

The clock is definately ticking for one of the two

Time to call it a day with this car.

:D nah, not the car, I think it will run forever, I might call it a day with this country soon tho........this site is one of the only places left that dont try to rip you off all the time...and i can get this anywhere

The clock is definately ticking for one of the two

Hi bud, its a fooking pain in the arse! Me and a mate litterally had to take the engine out! The pipe on mine was on the back of the inlet manifold sandwiched against the bulkhead the stainless steel one! Got it welded and stuck it back on!! Think it got damaged when the starter motor got repaired!! Hope this helps???????????

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks pete,

Guess that needs a lift or pit then? :blink:

how many hours labour am i looking at if i cant find a pal with the right equipment

i had mine done which involved a pit, taking out one cat, some swearing and 20 pound for the trouble. unfortunately the only guy i know who can do it is in the north of scotland.

definately no need to take the engine out

fix the car... you know it well, the problem is DOES have are well documented.. the relative repair costs are not THAT bad considering it will likely go on happily for many more years.

Fix the problems one at a time... starting in order of priority/seriousness

If you sell and buy another car you are taking a chance... your replacement could very well leave you in a similar predicament.

EDIT:

sometimes a HARD drive down the road for 20 mins or so before an M.O.T is enough to pass emissions..

• 1 month later...
Hello,

Bloody emissions......bloody government.....they dont tell the aircraft industry to stick a probe up their pipes......

Well, I've not been on for a while as my 93 LS400 has been fine for a year or so, but as u can see i now have several problems at once and the emissions bill could kill the car........

You see, its a K plate and over 5 years I have spent around 1500 on the car, 3 out of 4 front suspension control arms have been replaced, the blinking dash syndrome was fixed, p/s leak fixed, servicing etc

The engine seems to be A1 (apart from the engine warning light giving me 3 error codes that are all air related) and still drives superb.

- The o/s/f upper control arm needs to be replaced at £400 + labour, (both lowers were replaced but like the tight arse i am, i only got 1 upper arm replaced 2 yrs ago!and its all coming back to haunt me now)

- Brake pipe has rusted a hole in itself (a long pipe running between the rear wheels), but Lexus quoted only £30 for this inc fluid??? whilst this is done, i need the calipers servicing and pads all round, and h/brake tightening (already got caliper kit and pads) but i can imagine a few hours labour for these jobs

- Warning for both rear upper suspension arms to be replaced soon (@ around 150 each + labour which isnt that bad)

The garage where its parked says replace the cats but they gotta be having a laugh? The cars only worth around 1000 (if that) and 2 cats exceed that without the rest of the work being done...I can see a £2000+ bill coming...bloody do-gooders!!! obviously dont know about L.O.C then do they

I only seem to come on here and moan i know.....but this site has helped me in the past and i need good advice again this time as again, i cannot be the one to scrap a lexus.....just no way.....i cannot do it

even selling for parts does not sit right with me....the engine is still sound and i can't accept i might have to let it go because of some government green tree hugger sat in his office on a mission to save the planet (even tho' its a natural cycle anyway) and deciding old cars are just dirty and must be binned (to get people to sign up to finance and get into even more debt...yeah right mate!), but aircraft can just stay as they are kicking out a million times more carbon than all the cars in the world put together.

VOSA or TOSsA???? hehehe

I know i need to find a garage who know the score and whose owner hasnt got a top end 58 plate jag.....says it all yeah?

but now the police have auto reg cams, i cant take it all the way back to my home town and a to friendly face....

After all that......how can i get the emissions down a bit?? I was gonna try cleaning all the air intakes and MAF, but noticed on a post that someones O2 sensors packed up after cleaning and his engine ran funny....

I have only basic mechanical skills but have got the effort and willing to try to save my car from its foreseeable doom..

HELP!!!!!

Hello,

VOSA or TOSsA???? hehehe

HELP!!!!!

hi therejust reading ur probs we have experiance on lexuses 400/430,s etc when u say ur emissions are high is it c/o or lamba ? we are currently breaking 400 ls long w/base 94 model but i would suggest check air filter[dirty]make sure the vehicle is upto normall operating temperature,allso a slight leak on your exhaust can give you all the syptoms ur havin hope you get it fixed phil e

• 3 months later...

I agree with you. These cars are just too good to scrap, and if looked after, will go on and on and on. And i agree, just because various left wing aspects of our ridiculous government are using global warming (the biggest lie ever bestowed upon joe public) as a means of social engineering, why should they have the final bloody say in everything that we do, think, eat, drive, etc.

Probably why that new tv advertisment was banned recently, the one that was done in the style of a childrens television programme, designed to highlight us to the DANGERS of global warming. The scientific community were up in arms, and if anything, there is a ton of evidence that says that IF global warming is happening, its nothing to do with us. Lets put it into perspective. The UK is responsible for around 2% of all global Co2 emitted, and of that roughly 80 percent DOES NOT COME FROM VEHICULAR TRAFFIC. These figuires were current at the end of last year. Hopefully as a result of all this nonsense, the media frenzy that exists regarding this subject will mean that the whole issue becomes a dirty word to the public, and governments, the media and others will come to their senses and worry about things that matter instead of lying to people to control the way they live. Then we might not be out of pocket fixing things that really dont need fixing, if only to comply with some whitehall commons paper designed to keep ministers in underworked and very overpaid jobs!!!

Also, it could also be one of the reasons, that used cars sales are increasing at a huge rate, more than before.

Maybe a scrappage scheme for politicians and left wing think tanks is in order?

Hope all are well

Regards, Phil

• 1 month later...