Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jem Service

Got my car serviced at JEM in NW London today, full service (100K miles, though my car has only done 60K).

I supplied the oils and oil filter. Got off to a bit of a bad start when JEM realised they hadn't thought this through properly, since I'd supplied new oil for the diff and gearbox, and they weren't sure how they could get those in from my supplied bottles rather than their ready-filled pump drums (?!). They showed me the diff filler and I could see what they meant, although I thought they might have some simple device for that sort of thing. But we sorted that out and agreed that I could pay half the usual price for their oils.

Other than that it was fine though. They have a nice waiting area upstairs where you can watch the cars being serviced, with tea/coffee, a TV and various papers etc. They obviously have a lot of Japanese customers because there were more Japanese newspapers and magazines than English ones ! I could have had a courtesy car, or my car collected and delivered, but I chose to wait.

They were busy working on various cars, mainly Japanese, and a GS300 went up onto the ramps after my IS200 was finished.

They were quite complementary about how clean the underneath of my car is. That's the second time a garage has commented on that, maybe I should start showing my car off upside down :lol:

Cost was £184 (for their "C" service, without an air filter change or spark plug change) plus £15 for the gearbox/diff oil.

That is a very reasonable price, they're somewhere near Lexus Edgware Road aren't they? Is it a spin off from Jemca or was the name just a coincidence?

That is a very reasonable price, they're somewhere near Lexus Edgware Road aren't they? Is it a spin off from Jemca or was the name just a coincidence?

They're near Edgware Road so yes, they must be not too far from Lexus there.

According to this page, looks like Jemca used to be part of JEM but they sold them off in 2003. So it looks like Jemca were actually a spin-off from JEM.

According to this page, looks like Jemca used to be part of JEM but they sold them off in 2003. So it looks like Jemca were actually a spin-off from JEM.

Interesting, I thought there was a connection as when I bought my car (from Edgware Road) I distinctly remember there being a desk in the corner of the showroom with "JEM" over it that dealt with import parts for Altezzas and such.........and then after a bit it was gone (which seems to time perfectly with the sale of the group in 2003).

I didn't realise that Jemca was now effectively centrally owned (rather than a franchise dealership), probably explains the decline in their service quality which resulted in my move to Lexus Woodford instead.........

Jemca is a massive group though, I imagine they must've sold that for a pretty penny........ :winky: