Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys I have an ABS fault code after removing my front off side ABS sensor, its been refitted properly but now I need to know how to clear the fault code to see if its gonna come back or if it was a one off due to the removal of the sensor, Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gaz

well take the qires out the battery and put it back on. or use a obd reader.

!999 won't take an obd reader (not obd2 compliant)loads of past threads on the issue I have a 1999 GS300 sport and have been into it in depth so don't waste your money.

• Like 1

Hey Asi

Don't apologise mate for trying to help that is what this forum is all about the only reason I know is because allthough I was told they would work even by Lexus in Bristol I found out that it was not till later they were made compliant.(cost me money to return them 2 in all)

I have the 16 pin connector in the cab but the wiring is not correct for the obd2 setup the cars in the USA had to be obd2 compliant by law before the european market.

So as I said Asi keep the help coming we need all the guys like you on the forum because sometimes a lot of questions go un-answered.

the warning light should go out itself after there have been 3 complete ignition/system tests without a problem, however the error code will still remain in the system unless it is cleared by diagnostic equipment or the ECU is reset by pulling the correct fuses or disconnecting the Battery.

cheers guys.

I did disconnect the Battery but that didnt work and the lights for ABS and stability/traction control are still on after several ingnition tests so im guessing somethings gone wrong some where. I cant believe i damaged the sensor when removing it as i was very careful. cant find a fuse blown or anything either? can someone confirm which fuses I should check and what else could cause my problem.

thanks again guys

Gaz

cheers for that, they should come in very handy. I have used a Bosch KTS diagnostic system on it but this could not read the ABS control unit for some rerason but did manage to read and remove a past fault in the engine managment. However when it was connected via the OBDII the ABS light started flashing and gave a code 31 which i found out from a previous thread is Front Right ABS sensor malfunction... the one I removed :S I cant believe I damaged it though as was extreamly careful but it was left overnight not connected to the hub. I am going to a place to try some more diagnostic equipment on it and to scope the sensor to see if it is working or to find out why it isnt. Thoes wiring digrams will deffinatly help with that too. :)

Cheers again guys

Again thats gonna come in very handy, thank you.

I did the diagnostics as you suggested and am still getting

31 from the ABS light - front right ABS sensor Malfunction

43 from the VSC light - ? dont know what that is ?

After reading the ABS fault finding PDF you sent it might be that the sensor is not fully in all the way as i struggled to get it in due to the seal that didnt seem to squash in easily. However if this were the case i would have though that the error would not be found untill the vehicle was moving but the light came on instantly. Worst case the sensor is knackered so, where does it connect to the loom and how much would a new one set me back :(

Gaz

43 is the deceleration sensor. This is no where near the ABS sensors so not really sure what is going on there. This error is only produced when stopping from above 30mph to 0 so maybe that error is a previous one that has never been cleared.

As the ABS error came on before the vehicle was moved then it is probably detecting a open circuit in the wiring rather than a misaligned sensor.

Try clearing all the error codes - Using the same procedure to obtain the error codes, DLC1 short Tc and E1 and remove the shorting pin, press the break pedal 8 or more times within 5 seconds.

...I have used a Bosch KTS diagnostic system on it but this could not read the ABS control unit for some reason but did manage to read and remove a past fault in the engine management.

The OBDII tool used by the garage where I have my 1998 GS serviced cannot read the engine ECU, but it does read and reset the ABS codes.

Worst case the sensor is knackered so, where does it connect to the loom and how much would a new one set me back :(

Gaz

You have to remove the wheel arch lining to get to the connector. I have a feeling the part is expensive to replace.

post-3469-1244370563.jpg

Try clearing all the error codes - Using the same procedure to obtain the error codes, DLC1 short Tc and E1 and remove the shorting pin, press the break pedal 8 or more times within 5 seconds.

Thats with the ignition on I do the brake peddal thing yea? I shall try this when it stops raining and then see if the error comes back. Will let you know how i get on later, Cheers.

Hi guys I have an ABS fault code after removing my front off side ABS sensor, its been refitted properly but now I need to know how to clear the fault code to see if its gonna come back or if it was a one off due to the removal of the sensor, Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Gaz

If I were you I would remove and clean the other abs sensor. See if that removes the fault code. You also don't say whether the abs light is on, we assume it is. Try removing / cleaning the other!

Phil

Thats with the ignition on I do the brake peddal thing yea? I shall try this when it stops raining and then see if the error comes back. Will let you know how i get on later, Cheers.

Yes, the flash codes should stop.

I wouldn't advise touching the other front sensor, you don't want to start getting an error 32 as well.

Having previously had and resolved this problem ..... my advice to look at the other sensor is sound and worth a try

Im abit confused why I should touch the other sensor when the error code is for the one that I have removed. This sensor was removed so I could take the up-right off to change the wheel bearing. It was removed once and refitted fine without touching the wheel bearing then removed a second time, wheel bearing fitted then after putting back together the ABS, VSC off and VSC lights were all on. Error 31 on ABS and 43 on VSC... will remove these codes as suggested and see if I still have issues, which I think I will. Will be scoping the sensor tomorrow anyway to see if its still working.

Gaz

• 5 years later...

Hi all,

Just bought a lexus with a repair needed. Had to replace front stub axle LHS.

Curious if this tip of clearing codes would work with the 3rd generation GS450h vehicles?