Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My 1992 LS400 has suddenly quite a thirst. There was a small pool of water under the vehicle, this afternoon, but I put that down to the AC, and I have just topped up - 50-50 antifreeze - my mix and used around a litre - the expansion tank was empty. I also note too, that the warning light on the dashboard never illuminated. In the past weeks I have used 5 litres.

So, two questions.

1. Where would be the likely hose for a leak or split - I cannot see anything top end? - or, where else whould I be looking, please?

(Please don't mention head gasket :shutit: !! )

2. How do you service the switch at the expansion tank? It appears sealed.

Thanks.

head gasket failure is very rare with these engines. I do have a similar issue with my 93 ls. No visible leaking at all but the expansion tank stays low when cold...If I fill it up to the cold (when cold of course) level she just spits it out(from the tank filler cap) when she heats up. Surprisingly the level is accurate with a warm engine just when she's cold the level is way below the cold mark :huh:

Hi,

Mine has "weeped" from the switch housing in the expansion tank for years now, but never lost as much as you describe. As Ruud said, doubt it`s the head gasket, but worth taking the oil filler cap off and having a look for a milky substance.

Best start from cold and run to temp with the bonnet open and just keep checking around. Keep looking around with the engine off too coz that is when my leak starts.

All the best.

My 1992 LS400 has suddenly quite a thirst. There was a small pool of water under the vehicle, this afternoon, but I put that down to the AC, and I have just topped up - 50-50 antifreeze - my mix and used around a litre - the expansion tank was empty. I also note too, that the warning light on the dashboard never illuminated. In the past weeks I have used 5 litres.

So, two questions.

1. Where would be the likely hose for a leak or split - I cannot see anything top end? - or, where else whould I be looking, please?

(Please don't mention head gasket :shutit: !! )

2. How do you service the switch at the expansion tank? It appears sealed.

Thanks.

Wait for a good dry day and run the car for a bit. Then have a look around for a wet patch that simply wont dry. Might find it's a jubliee clip on one of the hoses that leeks when car is at temp and full pressure. Is both hoses on either side of the engine warm when car is at temp(This will check the water pump & themostat is working correctly and water is flowing). Also shine a touch down the gap near the top of the engine to shine light on the water pump to see if it's leeking from underneath it, As the gasket does leek on the early ls400's as as common fault over time.

Thermostat? yours could be faulty but it wont cause any leaks. The Plastic thermostat housing could have become brittle and cracked if that's what you're meaning. If the thermo was faulty, the car would take a long time to warm up from cold. From what i've read, the expansion tank often cracks on the MK1's like someone said above. If its definitely not this, check all the little water hoses, to and from the throttle body and IAC valve on front of the intake manifold. Can you get under the car and try to trace where the drip is coming from?