Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wrong Wheels And Wrong Tires

Evil Homer

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and this is my first posting.

I received alloys and tyres as a gift many months ago. The specs are below for the kit that was fitted:

The car: 03' Lexus IS 200

The wheels: 8x18 5/114 40 OZ Superturismo GT

The tyres: 225/40/18 ZR Toyo Proxes T1S

When I received the car with the new wheels and tyres I noticed that the sidewalls of the tyres were not vertical as with a normal tyre. I know very little about upgrading wheels or tyres so I let it go without question. About a week ago I noticed that the front tyres were wearing rapidly and unevenly, basically requiring me to replace them.

I brought the car in to the service centre and the mechanics there explained that the wrong tyres had been fitted for the wheels I had. They also mentioned that if they had fitted the correct tyres there would not be enough clearance in the wheel well for the correct tyres using these wheels.

It seems evident that the company that sold me the wheels were simply interested in sale rather than providing the correct product for the situation.

I've been forced to re-fit the original Lexus wheels and tyres and now have four very expensive wheels and tyres that I cannot use.

I was wondering what the guru's of this forum think about what this company did and if I should seek to get my money back from them. As I said, I'm no expert, but aside from unethical, this practice seems dangerous to me.

Kind regards and thanks for any help,

Evil Homer

Sounds like the tyres where "Stretched" to fit, a common practice and not to everyones liking. As far as I am aware, it is not a huge issue, especially if it is only a slight stretch.

The pic below is an extreme stretch on an aristo project documented in this thread (clicky), I don't like the look at all, but it will be run that way. Give you an idea of what is done to help with clearance on arches. Without seeing your specific setup, it is probably fine to run with on the 225 tyre.

2585_82981432008_512787008_2338198_8248879_n.jpg

Those tyres sound ok for the wheel to me. Perhaps very slightly stretched versus a 235 tyre, the new wheel is 25mm wider than your original wheel but the 225 is only 10mm wider, which is probably the sidewall issue that you've noticed.

Don't know if perhaps there's a problem with the offset of the wheel and arch clearance ? :unsure:

Welcome to the club mate, :)

The tyre size does sound about right, i know on the 18" alloys i have with 225/40/18 tyres are not bad, but they are only 7.5" wide so wonder like the guys above have said that the tyres have been fitted with a light stretch to them? Is the offset of your wheels 40? as you shouldnt have any problems if they are? the standard lexus alloys are a 50 offset :unsure:

Could you post a pic up mate so we can have a look? also if there wearing hard on the inside edges it could be a geometry problem that the is200 suffers from and most of the members on here have had put right?

You don't tell the full story, how long were the tyres and wheels on and how many miled did you do? Any photos as suggested above? Did you get geometry done when the wheels were fitted? The wheels and tyres I don't think would cause the side wall to be not vertical, have you done anything other mods. to the car on the suspension / steering?

Welcome to the club mate, :)

The tyre size does sound about right, i know on the 18" alloys i have with 225/40/18 tyres are not bad, but they are only 7.5" wide so wonder like the guys above have said that the tyres have been fitted with a light stretch to them? Is the offset of your wheels 40? as you shouldnt have any problems if they are? the standard lexus alloys are a 50 offset :unsure:

Could you post a pic up mate so we can have a look? also if there wearing hard on the inside edges it could be a geometry problem that the is200 suffers from and most of the members on here have had put right?

Thanks for all the responses.

I understand the stretch concept but it doesn't appeal to me either. From what you have all said, the setup is fine but there may be an existing problem with the vehicle's geometry.

I would like to use the OZ's, albeit with new tyres which have a more traditional vertical appearance.

Could you please explain how I can remedy the geometry issue?

To remedy the Geo problem you need to join up Gold, then speak to Wheels in Motion and he will assist you with the correct settings (the offical lexus ones cause inner tyre wear).

Then as your in Manchester, Drury lane in Oldham have a full Geometry setup service. take the settings to them and they'll adjust it.

Stav

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links