Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Genuine Toyota Green Or Red Coolant

I've just sent alan at lexus bolton a quick email about the coolants to get confirmation about the new pink coolant and if its ok for use in the IS200. I've also asked him for the current prices including discount for both red and pink coolants. Will post up when he replies.

Just had an email back.....

"Lexus stopped using red coolant and replaced with pink in 2003 so it is possible that yours is one of the last to have red coolant in. The only difference between the 2 is that the pink lasts 10 years as you said.You can replace red with pink but you can't mix the 2. Also pink coolant can only be purchased in 5litre bottles where as with the red you can buy 1 litre top ups.

The cost to replace the red coolant is £23.46 for 7 litres. Pink coolant is £56.14 for 10 litres.

Hope this is of help."

remember the reason they say don't mix them is merely because if you have the pink stuff in, and you add red, it will no longer last 10 years. It will only last the length for red. Likewise, if you have red in, there is no point adding the expensive 10 year stuff as the red would counteract that (unless you flush the system and start fresh).

prices for coolant.................................(toyota)

pink £27.00+vat

red £15.00+vat

green £15.00+vat

all those prices are for 5 litres

pink £27.00+vat

red £15.00+vat

green £15.00+vat

Hi Ormi which one is best for us to use, not taking the price into it ?

And I presume that the Toyota stuff is the same as the Lexus kind.

Can you not get us a discount on that price :whistling:

pink £27.00+vat

red £15.00+vat

green £15.00+vat

the coolant from lexus comes in the same bottle a toyota one............

red and green are the same one for jap cars(poss red i always forget)and green for uk cars

to be honest i'd go for red i dont beleive in 100k coolant changes!!

and yes me do get a discount on that price i was just looking at the parts price board. :winky:

pink £27.00+vat

red £15.00+vat

green £15.00+vat

the coolant from lexus comes in the same bottle a toyota one............

red and green are the same one for jap cars(poss red i always forget)and green for uk cars

to be honest i'd go for red i dont beleive in 100k coolant changes!!

and yes me do get a discount on that price i was just looking at the parts price board. :winky:

Cheers for the info Ormi.

RED is the standard. Needs to be changed every 2 years after the first change at 3 years. Pink is the new standard which lasts 10 years.

Not sure about green, I think it is only used on UK built vehicles

Spot on mate

the green coolant is for uk built vehicles such as the Carina E's and Avensis

Pink is used on cars from 2003/4 onwards

RED is the standard. Needs to be changed every 2 years after the first change at 3 years. Pink is the new standard which lasts 10 years.

Spot on mate

please check the ams oil product. great one

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/antifr...ne_coolant.html

dont just get the oem type get the performance type or the quality product..

Spot on mate

I agree mate, however it seems that most want to pay over the odds for Toyota stuff :unsure:

I agree mate, however it seems that most want to pay over the odds for Toyota stuff :unsure:

But that stuff linked is a lot more expensive than the Toyota coolant ! :ohmy:

I didn't look at the link tbh mate, just the principle I was agreeing with. I believe the Toyota stuff is premixed also, so remember that buying 5 litres of Toyota stuff is actually more like 2 to 3 litres antifreeze, and a load of water. So you need to factor that into the costing if buying "neat" antifreeze elsewhere.

I didn't look at the link tbh mate, just the principle I was agreeing with. I believe the Toyota stuff is premixed also, so remember that buying 5 litres of Toyota stuff is actually more like 2 to 3 litres antifreeze, and a load of water. So you need to factor that into the costing if buying "neat" antifreeze elsewhere.

The linked stuff is incredibly expensive. I don't really like the idea of super long-life stuff, I'd rather get my coolant changed every couple of years or so.

I'm only speaking for myself of course, but £15 for 5L of genuine Toyota coolant doesn't sound a lot to me, and gives me peace of mind. If it was £100 or so then perhaps I'd be more interested in alternatives.

I'm only speaking for myself of course, but £15 for 5L of genuine Toyota coolant doesn't sound a lot to me, and gives me peace of mind. If it was £100 or so then perhaps I'd be more interested in alternatives.

Of course mate. It is up to each and every one of us to do what we are comfortable with. IMO, it is important to give people the choice however, as I see a lot of threads on this subject that say to all intents and purposes "do not use anything other than Toyota (Lexus) coolant". Even the owners manual says use an "ethylene-glycol" based coolant, not use "Toyota ethylene-glycol" coolant. The Toyota stuff is nothing special, so if you do not live near a toyota or lexus dealership, don't bust a gut trying to get it, just go to Halfords (or any other motor factors) and buy whichever "Ethyene-glycol" antifreeze you fancy :)

The genuine Toyota coolants are low in silicates which helps protect seals and stop corrosion. If you are confident that another brand provides this then it is fine to use them.

Read the bottle, make your choice :)

Everyone wants to stop corrosion, keep seals in good condition, this is not new technology from Toyota :P

not new technology but proven. There are many examples of Toyota/Lexus vehicles doing hundreds of thousands of miles with original water pumps and radiators.

The main thing is the make sure you change your coolant regularly, whatever brand you use, and don't use tap water if you are not purchasing pre-mixed coolant.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links