Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reverse Camera Installation

My reverse camera arrived yesterday and at £25 i thought it was a bargain!

camera2.jpg

cameral.jpg

its quite small with the lens being less than the size of a £1 coin and about an inch long.

i uses this LINK to remove the number plate strip (no pictures but fairly self explanatory)

and mounted it under here with some drilling into the boot behind this panel to get it nice fit and for the wires to pull through.

sta70982.jpg

its quite stealthy and will be more so when i paint/spray the housing in Platinum Ice to match the car.. i also used some dynamtt to ensure that it doesnt rattle or move!

sta70981.jpg

sta70980.jpg

i wired it up so that the camera interupts the display when the car is put into reverse using the wire in the passenger side footwell that goes the the reverse lights>

sta70983.jpg

and power for the camera comes form the remote feed for the amps. This is so i can switch manually to the camera without being in reverse if i like.

and heres the view in the car!

sta70984.jpg

it may need adjusting slightly but it works pretty well i can just see both extremes of the bumper, tested by putting two buckets out and trying not to hit em but getting really close!

Looks good mate- wish I had the knowledge/time to do this.

:offtopic: How are you getting on with your B&M shifter? Personally I love mine- don't find reverse a problem at all. However the missus hates it, in her words "This is :tsktsk:, what's the point of it?" I'm happy means no more kerbed alloys for me- missus will be sticking to her own car now (Yaris).

:offtopic: How are you getting on with your B&M shifter? Personally I love mine- don't find reverse a problem at all. However the missus hates it, in her words "This is :tsktsk:, what's the point of it?" I'm happy means no more kerbed alloys for me- missus will be sticking to her own car now (Yaris).

lol..

thats women! im sure my misses would say the same. she thought something was wrong with the car when she heard the exhaust!! reverse is fine now and its a lot smoother than initially. still find it a little stiff when in traffic but its great when on the open road!

@aaron,that one looks a little big and only has a 90 degree viewng angle. i got the last of this one but i may be able to source more in the next week or so..

@redz_uk

Camera looks great. Will be interesting to see how it does in low light conditions.

I notice you have a Kenwood DNX 8220BT - if its not too much trouble could you post some comments about it and a few more pictures of it? I am thinking of getting one of those so any info would be apprecaited. :D

Does the Sat Nav offer lane assist? Reliable??

Thanks,

Anees

@redz_uk

Camera looks great. Will be interesting to see how it does in low light conditions.

I notice you have a Kenwood DNX 8220BT - if its not too much trouble could you post some comments about it and a few more pictures of it? I am thinking of getting one of those so any info would be apprecaited. :D

Thanks,

Anees

yeah, i intend to test that one evening, i think with the reverse lights it should be fine.. it was ok in the rain today!

the 8220 doesnt offer lane assist but the new 9240 does. however at around £1300 i would expect it to!! the nav is very reliable, i have never lost signal, responds quicker than the lexus unit and seems to offer better routing than the tomtom.

The best thing about this is that it takes the best form 3 diff manufacturers, Parrot for BT, Garmin for Sat nav and obviously Kenwood for audio.

I think its the best units out there bar the 9240. does everything i want and handlesall of the multimedia switching. only thing it doesnt do is video over usb but it does off the ipod video.

i really couldnt recommend this unit more! let me know what info/pics you want and i will happily help. if you fancy a trip to nottIngham you can have a play or pop down to the meet in july if you can wait that long!

@redz_uk

Thanks,

Anees

yeah, i intend to test that one evening, i think with the reverse lights it should be fine.. it was ok in the rain today!

the 8220 doesnt offer lane assist but the new 9240 does. however at around £1300 i would expect it to!! the nav is very reliable, i have never lost signal, responds quicker than the lexus unit and seems to offer better routing than the tomtom.

The best thing about this is that it takes the best form 3 diff manufacturers, Parrot for BT, Garmin for Sat nav and obviously Kenwood for audio.

I think its the best units out there bar the 9240. does everything i want and handlesall of the multimedia switching. only thing it doesnt do is video over usb but it does off the ipod video.

i really couldnt recommend this unit more! let me know what info/pics you want and i will happily help. if you fancy a trip to nottIngham you can have a play or pop down to the meet in july if you can wait that long!

Thanks for that info mate! Just a few pics of the interface would be good. How customisable is it? I might be popping along to Derby in the next few weeks on a job so could meet up if its convenient. I will obviously let you know nearer the time and if you can spare the time it would be great :D

Anees

yeah, let me know when your over this way..

its not overly customisable. your limited to a wallpaper then one of three skins.. thats about it but it does work very well, easy to read and control while driving.

thats it i'm going looking for a reverse camera!!looks amazin very tidy!!! :winky:

ormi if your going to do it tell me would come along and see you doing so i get a idea?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys - kinda new here...

Am looking to install this on my is200 with kenwood sat nav. Is there a step by step guide available anywhere? especially covering the part where it switches the screen display when put in reverse gear?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...