Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Dash Light Dimmer

Try looking at it 1st the connection might have come off the back or just need a clean.

tried that all connecters are fine. dash lights don't work without the dimmer switch which completes the circuit. I found a "DIMMER" relay or fuse in the engine bay is that what should be checked next?

tried that all connecters are fine. dash lights don't work without the dimmer switch which completes the circuit. I found a "DIMMER" relay or fuse in the engine bay is that what should be checked next?

That's a relay. I can't quite understand why a relay is important for dimming, but anyway, I guess you could check that. So the lights on the dash work but just won't dim ?

It might sound silly, but I would try turning the dimmer switch back and forth several times to see if it's just dirty. Did this suddenly stop working or is this perhaps the first time you've tried it since you've bought the car ? The dimmer switch just connects directly to the dash illumination.

Could there be LEDs in there that another owner put in and the dimmer switch isn't controlling them (some LEDs really don't like dimming) ?

It might sound silly, but I would try turning the dimmer switch back and forth several times to see if it's just dirty. Did this suddenly stop working or is this perhaps the first time you've tried it since you've bought the car ? The dimmer switch just connects directly to the dash illumination.

Could there be LEDs in there that another owner put in and the dimmer switch isn't controlling them (some LEDs really don't like dimming) ?

I've had the car since new. all standard parts in the dash. i've tried playing with the dimmer and even pull out the cluster surround to check the dimmer but no luck. like the lights seem to be only 3/4 brightness. worst comes to worst i'll take it to a electrician or lexus to fix it.

Is it just the lights in the speedo/rev counter section ? Or are all the lights dim including the a/c controls, switches etc ?

everything, its not like so dim that you can't see anything at night just noticably dim thats all

ok, well the dimmer switch only controls the rev/counter speedo stuff, not the others. You could check the "panel" fuse (driver's side fuse box), though I thought this would be either working properly or not. Also check the tail lamp relay, also in the driver's side fuse box.

ok, well the dimmer switch only controls the rev/counter speedo stuff, not the others. You could check the "panel" fuse (driver's side fuse box), though I thought this would be either working properly or not. Also check the tail lamp relay, also in the driver's side fuse box.

which fuse should I check? and how would I know if the relay is stuffed?

It's labelled "panel" on the diagram on the inside of the fuse box lid.

As for the relay, you could at least check that it's not making a buzzing noise (which would indicate that it's stuck). I will try and find something more useful though.

It's labelled "panel" on the diagram on the inside of the fuse box lid.

As for the relay, you could at least check that it's not making a buzzing noise (which would indicate that it's stuck). I will try and find something more useful though.

ahh alright cool. UK is RHD as well right? haha i'll check both foot wells anyway

Is that right? Can't remember the last time I used the dimmer but thought it dimmed the whole dash? :unsure:

Is that right? Can't remember the last time I used the dimmer but thought it dimmed the whole dash? :unsure:

That's what I used to think too, but try it and see :winky:

Having another look at the wiring diagrams, it looks like this might be different depending on model year, i.e. only controlling the main dial dimming on early cars, but possibly other stuff too on later ones. Would be interesting to check.

Fair enough, will let you know :)

That's what I used to think too, but try it and see :winky:

Lol, I will do - I don't doubt it, just seems odd to behave that way

checked and no idea where the tail light relay is but panel fuse is fine

What year is your car ?

late 2003

ok, I take back what I said earlier, I think the dimmer is still involved with dimming all your dash lights (since it's a later model car), so still could be at fault (e.g. stuck). If you have a multimeter then you could test whether the voltage output from the dimmer switch is changing as you turn the knob.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links