Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member Here

JamesMalin

Time has come for a new car.

A mate of mine had an IS200 and didn't have a bad word about it so looking about for one now. Although i have looked at an IS220d and also an IS300.

A few people i know have other models too and the Lexus brand comes up smelling of roses.

A mate of mine had an IS200 and didn't have a bad word about it so looking about for one now. Although i have looked at an IS220d and also an IS300.

A few people i know have other models too and the Lexus brand comes up smelling of roses.

Hi and welcome to LOC.

The build quality and reliability of the IS 200 is fantastic.

Driver Power 2009 winner.............. http://tinyurl.com/myrq9l

Welcome to LOC.

Read the knowledgebase on the IS200/300- it tells you what to look for when buying a IS200/300.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hi and welcome to LOC.

Hhhmmm...that article basically says the Lexus IS is good but bad???? :lol:

basically here just to pick up on any niggles the IS has and what to look out for when buying.

May even find one on here! :)

Welcome to the club mate, there usually isn't much bad stuff to say about Lexus cars, but the only exception to that rule is the IS220d. There are happy owners, but there also appear to be just as many unhappy owners. If you're thinking new IS, stick to the IS250 auto as it's the best of the bunch. Even though I have an IS200, I'd have to say the 300 would be my pick for the 1st gen as there isn't a lot in it fuel wise but otherwise it's a whole different machine.

Welcome to LOC.

Read the knowledgebase on the IS200/300- it tells you what to look for when buying a IS200/300.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Where is that? I see mto be missing it.

Welcome to the club mate, there usually isn't much bad stuff to say about Lexus cars, but the only exception to that rule is the IS220d. There are happy owners, but there also appear to be just as many unhappy owners. If you're thinking new IS, stick to the IS250 auto as it's the best of the bunch. Even though I have an IS200, I'd have to say the 300 would be my pick for the 1st gen as there isn't a lot in it fuel wise but otherwise it's a whole different machine.

That is confusing!!!

I'm thinking an 03/05 plate if i can afford one. Been looking on Autotrader for some.

Hi and welcome to LOC.

Hhhmmm...that article basically says the Lexus IS is good but bad???? :lol:

basically here just to pick up on any niggles the IS has and what to look out for when buying.

May even find one on here! :)

Running costs can be on the expensive side and although it is not quick out of the traps, get it above 4000 rpm and it is a different matter.

It also depends what you are looking for. Do you want a car that is manufactured to high standards and will rarely let you down or are you after something with more speed?

As mentioned by Kam 05. The knowledge base is a good place to begin.

Happy hunting , hope you find the right car.

And the knowledge base is where?

I'm not after major power or i would buy a faster car that is clear.

The car looks good for the price....mileage, running costs, reliability, size.

My main concerns for a new car were 4 doors and bigger boot than my current hatchback.

I'd like to be able to get two mates in the back and golf clubs in the boot quite comfortably.

That is confusing!!!

I'm thinking an 03/05 plate if i can afford one. Been looking on Autotrader for some.

Which part mate? :whistling:

I was basically saying that the IS300 is a better all round package than the IS200 (but as it's auto only it might be a problem if you want a manual). The IS200 is great, but it could do with a bit more power (especially the auto which I have)

If you are thinking of the second gen IS, then the IS250 auto is the one to go for - most would advise against the IS220d.

If you are thinking of the second gen IS, then the IS250 auto is the one to go for - most would advise against the IS220d.

Agree. If you want a compact executive diesel, then look at the alternatives- BMW, VAG, Mercedes.

If you want a Japanese diesel then I'd go for a Honda Accord 2.2cdti- very good diesel.

Just wondering which out of all the models would be best all round?

How many miles do you drive per year? Do you mostly to city/town or driving or motorway miles?

My IS200 achieves 24-28mpg when doing city/town driving, however motorway driving achieves 33-35mpg. Standard performance out of the 2.0 engine is 153 bhp (is this enough for you, only you can decide). If you want more power then the options are: Supercharger, engine conversion or buy a IS300/Altezza.

Parts/spares are fairly easy to come by- you can source most things outside of the dealer network (ebay/local motor factors/breakers yards).

I do a 60 mile round trip to work for 3 weeks of the month and the rest is just back and fourth to local towns socially.

A & B roads aswell as Motorways included.

Speed isn't a major aspect of buying the car but i don't want to be poodling around slower than my current car (which i have yet to reveal due to dig's i'll more than likely get! :lol:)

welcome to loc i have a is200 auto and its a smooth as silk to drive,

it gets a lot of respect from bmw drivers on the motorways,

mine is the se which i personally find brilliant.

so if you want a bit of luxury then the lexus brand is tops for me.

Has anyone had any experience with the Auto box at all? Buttons on the STeering Wheel to change gear etc etc?
I’ve got a 300, which only comes with the auto box and the steering wheel buttons. I’ve been an automatic fan for years and I do like the combination of a big engine and a well sorted auto box which the Lexus offers. To be honest, I hardly use the buttons – just stick it in D and go. Using the “sport” mode on the box delays upchanges and lets it kick down a bit more freely.

Having driven a few 200s before buying the 300, I am absolutely clear which I prefer. The 200 feels just a little bit underpowered, but both are really smooth motors.

Speed isn't a major aspect of buying the car but i don't want to be poodling around slower than my current car (which i have yet to reveal due to dig's i'll more than likely get! :lol:)
You’ll have to reveal all now! Go on, tell us what you drive. We promise not to laugh (very much).