Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New To Gs300, But Car Won't Start - How Do I Remove The Starter Mo

dreamer60

I am a newbie so please go easy on me. I have come from a supra to the gs300. But the car won't start anymore. I am aware its most likely a starter motor solenoid problem from what I have read (I get the click click sound), so I bought some new solenoid bits to refurb the motor.... problem is...

How do I get the starter motor out!?? I have searched on here and read some people say they got it out within 10 mins, others say it took hours. What is the easiest way of getting to it?

I am kinda baffled on how to remove it. Would sincerely really appreciate your help. I thought I'd battle this task myself rather than take it to a garage

I am a newbie so please go easy on me. I have come from a supra to the gs300. But the car won't start anymore. I am aware its most likely a starter motor solenoid problem from what I have read (I get the click click sound), so I bought some new solenoid bits to refurb the motor.... problem is...

How do I get the starter motor out!?? I have searched on here and read some people say they got it out within 10 mins, others say it took hours. What is the easiest way of getting to it?

I am kinda baffled on how to remove it. Would sincerely really appreciate your help. I thought I'd battle this task myself rather than take it to a garage

I've just been through this...

Removing the starter is tricky, it's held on by two bolts that you have to get under car to get at, and i need a long extension (20cm)and a flexi joint on a socket to reach and remove the bottom one, i used two extension bars to get to top one. Space is tight too, you can't touch the bolts easily. Then there is a nut (easy to reach) to remove so you can take the Battery off (disconnect it first), and one small plug holding the wire to turn the starter on. I undid the clips holding the fuel lines in place then that gives enough room to wiggle the starter down out of the bottom of the car.

Getting the new one in is fiddly, you need to get it through the gap, then balance it so the flanges line up with bolts and tighten it on. I managed the job alone, but if you know someone with long thin arms who can reach in from the top and hold the starter in place it'd be much easier.

Fix the bolts, (try to torque them the right force, about 38nm i think, but check that) put the power feed and plug back on and you're done. There's not much to do, but it is tricky so be patient.

I ended up taking mine off a few times, i tried to repair the solenoid, but the kit i got from eBay didn't have quite the right terminal on (one's straight, but the other should be offset slightly, both were straight in the kit) so that i had to take it off again, i bought replacement starter, fitted it then realised that the plug was different...finally i built one good starter from the new and old ones, and that went on and is working fine.

It should take you a couple of hours to do, and it'd be easier on proper lift, i was working under ramps and space was a little tight but i managed.

Oh, and check that the everything fits before you bolt it all back up....

• Like 1

I've just been through this...

Removing the starter is tricky, it's held on by two bolts that you have to get under car to get at, and i need a long extension (20cm)and a flexi joint on a socket to reach and remove the bottom one, i used two extension bars to get to top one. Space is tight too, you can't touch the bolts easily. Then there is a nut (easy to reach) to remove so you can take the Battery off (disconnect it first), and one small plug holding the wire to turn the starter on. I undid the clips holding the fuel lines in place then that gives enough room to wiggle the starter down out of the bottom of the car.

Getting the new one in is fiddly, you need to get it through the gap, then balance it so the flanges line up with bolts and tighten it on. I managed the job alone, but if you know someone with long thin arms who can reach in from the top and hold the starter in place it'd be much easier.

Fix the bolts, (try to torque them the right force, about 38nm i think, but check that) put the power feed and plug back on and you're done. There's not much to do, but it is tricky so be patient.

I ended up taking mine off a few times, i tried to repair the solenoid, but the kit i got from eBay didn't have quite the right terminal on (one's straight, but the other should be offset slightly, both were straight in the kit) so that i had to take it off again, i bought replacement starter, fitted it then realised that the plug was different...finally i built one good starter from the new and old ones, and that went on and is working fine.

It should take you a couple of hours to do, and it'd be easier on proper lift, i was working under ramps and space was a little tight but i managed.

Oh, and check that the everything fits before you bolt it all back up....

Thanks very much for your help. It sounds a tad too complex for me. I'll get it jump started by the AA and get a garage to do the work for me. Thanks for your help though.

No problem. :)

Without a starter the AA won't be able jump start it, they'll have to take it over on a flat bed.

Sometimes with some persistance, knocking the starter with a stick or manually turning the engine via the pully will get it engaged so you can drive over. The AA guy can give that go for you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links