Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speedo/rev Counter Rattle On Start Up

Hi All,

I'm sure I've seen something on this before but can't find it. Basically, when I start the car and the speedo & rev counter dials do their sweep, I hear what I can best describe as a "rattatchy" noice, which only lasts a second of so. I doubt it's anything to get over exicted about but I would welcome any other users experince, and whether in fact it is something I should be concerned about.

Many thanks in anticipation.

• 1 month later...
Hi All,

I'm sure I've seen something on this before but can't find it. Basically, when I start the car and the speedo & rev counter dials do their sweep, I hear what I can best describe as a "rattatchy" noice, which only lasts a second of so. I doubt it's anything to get over exicted about but I would welcome any other users experince, and whether in fact it is something I should be concerned about.

I'm starting to get the same noise, and it seems to be getting gradually louder. I don't know if it will lead to failure but am considering buying extended warranty just in case. I have read here that you are looking at about £1500 if the unit fails. Plus I would be covered for other items.

Hi All,

It's probably your steering lock being released. You can confirm this by turning the engine off and then back on again, without opening the door in between.

If the noise doesn't occur, it's almost certainly the steering lock.

Some are noisier than others. Mine's quite noticable, but not so loud as to make me think something's wrong. If in doubt take it to a dealer. I'm sure they'll score it on a scale of 1 to 10 for you.

But of course, it might be something completely different.

Hi All,

It's probably your steering lock being released. You can confirm this by turning the engine off and then back on again, without opening the door in between.

If the noise doesn't occur, it's almost certainly the steering lock.

Some are noisier than others. Mine's quite noticable, but not so loud as to make me think something's wrong. If in doubt take it to a dealer. I'm sure they'll score it on a scale of 1 to 10 for you.

But of course, it might be something completely different.

Thanks for the input chaps. The car is going in tomorrow for a bit of warranty work, so I will mention it. They are giving me the RX450h again, which I will have the opportunity of driving more than last time. I asked for the IS-F and they haven't stopped laughing yet....

Hi All,

Hi, I had the same sound from my speedo counter. Dealer advised me that they could not repair the counter but had to fit a new one, But doing this will reset the mileage to zero miles.

Hi All,

Hi, I had the same sound from my speedo counter. Dealer advised me that they could not repair the counter but had to fit a new one, But doing this will reset the mileage to zero miles.

but then u could get it reprogramded!

Hi All,

but then u could get it reprogramded!

I don't think the dealer would reprogramme the dials, I was told that the change would be logged in my service book and with the lexus data base. my clocks were changed @ 17,500 miles and new clocks have now done 4,200 miles, So i just add 17,500 miles to get correct mileage.