Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Few Questions From A New Owner Of A 2002 Sc430

bellyfluffer

Hi there

Just bought a 2002 sc430 (UK version not import) as per the title and it seems ok bar a couple of things...

Any help or advice appreciated.....

None of the overhead centre lights are working (door open or closed, nor the map reading lights), checked the fuse but seems ok?

Headlamp washers arent working (neither rising or spraying)?

Are there any aftermarket kits etc to enable wathing of tv on the sat nav screen? Would also like to rig up a rear view camera for reversing.

Any issues with fitting different alloy wheels?

Any replacements around for those orange side reflectors on the bumpers?

Anybody have any dealings with lexus over the rust warranty as the body on this is fantastic except for a patch on the roof about the size of a 10p coin which is very raised with obvious rust bubbling underneath?

Any guesses or known faults about any of the above?

Thanks in advance

Hiya,

You can get clear reflectors to replace the orange the ones, im sure ive seen them on eBay so just a case of having a look.

No problem with replacing alloys, i think you should have at least 19" on it or better still 20" :)

If you go onto www.driveandview.com you can get an idea or something on there that will allow you to watch the tv and some also have a reversing camera input on.

Im not sure but i dont think Lexus cover the rust if it has started from a chip, or if its because of a repair.

If its starting bubbling from underneath they might cover it under the anti corrosion warranty, You will have to check with Lexus on that one though.

Not sure on the lights and headlight washers not working.... Hope you get it all sorted and enjoy it while the sun is shining

:)

Welcome to LOC! I'm sure one of the SC owners will come on here soon and give you more definitive answers but to get you started...........

Not sure about the overhead lights, might be a faulty switch or something - have you checked the bulbs?

Have you tried refilling the washer reservoir? Not sure about the SC but on the IS if the water gets low, the windscreen washers will still work but the headlamp washers don't so this could be the cause.

Try these guys for the TV conversion........LINK

Quite a few other members on here have changed the alloys so its not a problem as long as you get the right fitment - search for the threads of a member called aquanuke, he has an absolutely gorgeous SC430!

I've heard about this roof problem before but can't remember what it was exactly, have a search as its definitely been covered before. It's something to do with the roof being aluminium I think, I'm sure it's a common problem but not sure how dealers react to it. Worth showing to your dealer though - technically if the paint isn't broken and it's bubbling from within it should be covered by the bodywork warranty.

None of the overhead centre lights are working (door open or closed, nor the map reading lights), checked the fuse but seems ok?

I would check the bulbs on a meter or try new bulbs, Also check the connections to the bulbs as they are very flimsy. You can bend them inwards to get a better grip. Just use a small flat head screwdriver to pop the dome cover off.

Headlamp washers arent working (neither rising or spraying)?

Where your headlights on full beam when you tested. They need to be turned on for the jets to work.

Are there any aftermarket kits etc to enable wathing of tv on the sat nav screen? Would also like to rig up a rear view camera for reversing.

Theres plenty of universal cameras that can be hooked up, try eBay etc

If you dont mind spending a bit more the Navtool gives you what you need

http://www.tvandnav.com/index.asp?PageActi...mp;Category=113

Any issues with fitting different alloy wheels?

Nope 19's or 20's will look better then stock 18's

Any replacements around for those orange side reflectors on the bumpers?

The only clear ones I now of are kind of expensive as they are also LED, have a look at

http://clearcorners.com/products/lexus/sc2/

If your a bit handy its not too hard to make them yourself, as I had a black car I sprayed mine black and looks better then the ugly orange.

Anybody have any dealings with lexus over the rust warranty as the body on this is fantastic except for a patch on the roof about the size of a 10p coin which is very raised with obvious rust bubbling underneath?

Ive never heard of any rust issues so sounds like the previous owner took a knock and just left it for water to penetrate. Cant imagine Lexus will help you there.

This is the thread I was talking about, another car with a little bubbling on the roof, but doesn't seem to be any resolution...........LINK

As I thought the roof is aluminium so can't be rust, it's either a paint defect, or perhaps the aluminium has somehow been exposed and oxidised? I'd show the dealer in any case and try to have them rectify it under the paintwork warranty.

Brilliant!

Thanks guys, so many forums out there just bitch and slate anybody who asks a question rather than already knowing the answer!?!

Great response so far to my post so thanks again.

I'll try to visit a dealer asap, but will also try and take a photo of the 'patch' on the roof today and post it, as so many have responded the least I can do is show you what it looks like ;-)

No probs mate, if you hang around you'll see that LOC is a very friendly place!

Sure we love pics on here, would be nice to see some of the whole car too if you can :winky:

Definitely doesn't look like the surface of the paint is broken, so it is bubbling from underneath which should make a good case for the bodywork warranty..........as long as it hasn't been resprayed (or if it has was lexus approved) then I'd definitely get that to the dealer asap.

Spoke to Lexus toay and apparantly I have to take the car down to Lexus on a day to be arranged for the manager too inspect then take photos, forward them to Lexus GB HQ for them to send out a representative to evalulate report and then for Lexus GB to make decission. Phew.... Im tired typing all that let alone doing it!

Thanks LloveL, I Checked www.driveandview.com and they quoted me £499 for TV through the sat-nav, prob a good price but still stings!

Thanks Aquanuke, "Where your headlights on full beam when you tested. They need to be turned on for the jets to work"..... Yep I am a muppet/problem solved!

Thanks Parthiban for all the replies and help!

Off to play with the dome now........

• 3 months later...
Double checked and there are 4 seperate areas of the 'bubbling' all of them on the roof along the rear edge. The paint is not broken at any of these points, heres a couple of photos added

What was the outcome with Lexus about the rust?

I have the same problem and wondered how to proceed.My roof is also leaking on the edge over by the rust spot!

Jon

Double checked and there are 4 seperate areas of the 'bubbling' all of them on the roof along the rear edge. The paint is not broken at any of these points, heres a couple of photos added

What was the outcome with Lexus about the rust?

I have the same problem and wondered how to proceed.My roof is also leaking on the edge over by the rust spot!

Jon

Actually it has taken until just last week to sort out and I must admit that as much as I love the sc430 I thought the service by lexus was by far the worst I have ever recieved from any maufacturer.

In the end they agreed to replace the roof panel and paint it but the workmanship was terrible (not the actual painting but the refit of the roof). I had to have it redone 3 times and it still isnt the correct gaps but to be honest Im just sick of having to deal with them.

Good luck with your dealings with them

• 1 month later...

Interesting - first time I read about painting/rust problems on an SC. Browsed the German LOC and nothing. I did own a 01 and now own a 06 both had/have no problem. Was there an potential cause given by LEXUS for the problem?