Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air-con Belt / Tensioner

kweilo

Right, so there I am, sitting in chilled comfort last week.

And then... I warm up.

Can't feel the engine picking up / dropping off when I hit the air-con switch.

Pull over, disaster: air-con belt has torn itself to shreds.

Identified the tensioner pulley as the cause: damn thing is completely stuck fast. Lexus Hatfield confirmed this, and arranged for Lexus Southend to get the parts and everything was hunky dory for a replacement job this morning.

Except when I turned up this morning, they'd ordered the parts for an RS300. Bloody shambles!

They had a look anyways and said it'd take at least an hour and a half when the parts arrive, due to the tensioner pulley being stuck fast.

Sod that: I've just taken it off using 'some force' and a crowbar.

Since I've now done the hard work, I'm figuring I might as well just buy the tensioner and belt and replace myself next week.

Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Cheers!

(and yes, this is THE worst week to have this happen. truly, I'm melting!)

Personally yeah I'd go for it as long as I was certain there was no damage to the air-con pump.

It's not a huge job fitting a new tensioner pulley and belt and like you've said you've already done the hard bit and got it off.

You could try a motor factor for the pulley you might save yourself a few bob.

This is a link to the online manuals Here. Have a look under air conditioning in the repair section. It'll give you everything you need to know.

One thing. How do you know the compressor is not engaging? It has a built in magnetic clutch so if you turned the compressor pulley with the engine off or even with the air-con off, it should just idle.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong.

I know that the clutch/compressor isnt engaging as I've had the aircon serviced but it still wont engage and there's no fluctuation in engine revs and no cold air out the vents so really dont think its working. how would i test it?

I know that the clutch/compressor isnt engaging as I've had the aircon serviced but it still wont engage and there's no fluctuation in engine revs and no cold air out the vents so really dont think its working. how would i test it?

Probably a silly question matey, but have you checked the fuse and the wiring to the pump? :unsure: