Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Rx450h Test Drive

Had my "Short drive" of 1/2 hour today in the RX450h, It ws the SE-L model with all the extras on board.

Very adjustable comfortable rear and front seats, good sized boot and loads of interior space.

Quality and Info systems seem very good, ease of use was apparent and the car drives very quietly, although in "ECO MODE" lacks any performance at all, just very sluggish.

Driving up to 29/30MPH in EV mode on batteries alone for a couple of miles was great, after that the engine charged the batteries up quickly to recover lost power. sound system very good and simple mouse controls to use, once on the move though "Voice control" would be safer to use.

Side and rear veiw cammeras were great, as was adaptive cruise control.

Air suspension seems to control the car,but I was being carefull, next week I will get it for a few hours so will get a better feel.

The colour was Black with black leather, not for me but general looks were much better than the old model.

Economy: well after 18 miles under 62MPH I got 38MPG in ECO mode, thats pottering with NO PERFORMANCE at all. Is that good?, well I need to better that to change from the X6 35.

I will test it properly next week and see what it will do on duel carageways at motorway speeds, around town it should be good though.

I assume the car had very low mileage? Really needs 5,000 miles on the clock to get an idea of accurate mpg.

Yes very low miles BUT my X635D had NO miles and did better than that. I drove it again today in "Normal Mode" just driving normally and it returned 28MPG on a duel carrageway "A" road run!!!! performance was not great either, sorry not for me.

I think you have hit the nail on the head: The Lexus Hybrids need to be consciously driven in a manner that we have to think about prioritising economy over other factors. You know that you just into your diesel BMW and you can pretty much forget about 'economical driving' as the engines are that damn good.

However, and this is the key for me, in the ever-so-long-term fossil fuels are in the decline. So having a Hybrid is essential to move on the issue of what next? And Lexus deserve great credit for being first to market with this concept. it is getting better, but the fact that you can only run this 'new' RX for a few miles/minutes on Battery alone is not sufficient for it to be justified as a great leap over the previous version which did pretty much the same.

So, we effectively have a bigger, heavier but more cleverer hybrid that costs a lot more [than the 400h] but pretty much does the same sort of stuff [as the 400h]. Technology comes at a price and I will be the first to put my hand up and say that there is no way on this earth I could afford these cars new - but in the second hand car market I would be tempted (even by the 400h for which I have been a great detractor) because I could not afford a similar aged BMW X5 diesel (as good as it is) so would settle for the next best thing.

Great to hear your thoughts though!

I think you have hit the nail on the head: The Lexus Hybrids need to be consciously driven in a manner that we have to think about prioritising economy over other factors. You know that you just into your diesel BMW and you can pretty much forget about 'economical driving' as the engines are that damn good.

However, and this is the key for me, in the ever-so-long-term fossil fuels are in the decline. So having a Hybrid is essential to move on the issue of what next? And Lexus deserve great credit for being first to market with this concept. it is getting better, but the fact that you can only run this 'new' RX for a few miles/minutes on battery alone is not sufficient for it to be justified as a great leap over the previous version which did pretty much the same.

So, we effectively have a bigger, heavier but more cleverer hybrid that costs a lot more [than the 400h] but pretty much does the same sort of stuff [as the 400h]. Technology comes at a price and I will be the first to put my hand up and say that there is no way on this earth I could afford these cars new - but in the second hand car market I would be tempted (even by the 400h for which I have been a great detractor) because I could not afford a similar aged BMW X5 diesel (as good as it is) so would settle for the next best thing.

Great to hear your thoughts though!

Thanks; I would have loved the 450h to "Do what it said on the tin" I have read every review on this car and economy has been a let down along with handling ( which again is average to poor). why do they print these "Misleading" MPG figures?.

The dealership said and I quote :whistling: "THe car is over engineered and after 50K miles should improve" :tsktsk: what B********KS

There is a new Diesel engine for the BMW coming later this year, 306BHP/600+NM and over 40MPG, well what do ya know. :shifty:

Thanks; I would have loved the 450h to "Do what it said on the tin" ...

Yes I know what you mean. I felt the same way when I had a 400h over a period of a couple weeks a few years ago. I really wanted to love the car - but was left feeling more than just let down by my experience.

I have no doubt the 450h moves the goal posts forward, but with manufacturers like BMW producing diesel engines like the *35d - and now the all new and improved *40d - it will continue to put manufactures like Lexus under further pressure. And this is before when you take into account factors like driving dynamics...

I think Lexus should get plaudits and recognition for bringing this type of technology to the masses and packaging as well as they have. Without them we'd all still be driving 'traditional' engined vehicles - at least now some will have Hybrids.

Also had a test drive of the 450 at the weekend - got 32 MPG driving normally just in an urban environment.

The Hybrid will never beat a Diesel especially on long runs; however you will basically get around 30MPG regardless of the type of driving you do be it around town in constant traffic or on long runs.

The car was very nice to drive and the HUD was very very nice (Albeit just on the top model - if you can get it on the Prius why can't all of these have it?!)

You do get the benefit of nice low Tax both BIK and Road, along with free entry into congestion zone I believe.

There were things I still preferred about the old model though such as the higher driving position and touch screen nav (Although the new screen and position is very nice for viewing)

Must admit after the drive getting back into the old model it seemed ancient!

Overall I was very impressed and loved it but the price seems rather steep to me compared to other offerings (Even allowing for kit!) I think it could do with a 10% price drop

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links