Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving home today from the Lake district today,the car was its usual sluggish self when starting ,however it didnt get any better and i could hardly get it up the hills (had to go into first a few times) it seemed as if the Turbo wasnt kicking in. it seemed ok on the flat but as soon as there was an incline it slowed right down. It is out of warrenty now and i just wondered if any knew what it could be?

Also It went in at Xmas for the steering fix on the recall, are there any recent recalls due as i didnt know about that one until that VCO or what ever it is message came on?

thanx

Driving home today from the Lake district today,the car was its usual sluggish self when starting ,however it didnt get any better and i could hardly get it up the hills (had to go into first a few times) it seemed as if the Turbo wasnt kicking in. it seemed ok on the flat but as soon as there was an incline it slowed right down. It is out of warrenty now and i just wondered if any knew what it could be?

Also It went in at Xmas for the steering fix on the recall, are there any recent recalls due as i didnt know about that one until that VCO or what ever it is message came on?

thanx

Hi if there was no warning lamps on then i would look at the EGR no1 valve (if its out of warrenty) They can carbon up and cause the valve not to seal. this causes the turbo boost pressure to leak back to the exhaust manifold causing lack of power. the one way to know its that is to ensure the turbo (surge) happens below 1800rpm. But if its severe lack of power the intercooler pipe on the passenger side that come off the intercooler can leak or come adrift this causes a more severe power loss.

hope this helps pal

Thanx, no warning lights on so i will get someone to check it out, lets hope its that. is it relatively easy to fix?

its a simple job as long as the egr valve has not been held off the seat for a while ie 1000s of miles because the motor tends to stick then its a new unit. If you remove your engine cover look near the common rail Where all the fuel pipes come off to the right of that there is a pipe going towards the top of the intake that bolts onto the egr unit. If your confiident with cars its a simple job to remove and clean. once the valve is off look through the valve if you see light its jammed give it a good clean and the port on the inlet too. Check again if there is still light there im afraid its a new egr valve. afterwards i would disconnect the negitive on the Battery. THis will reset the self learning values for the fuelling - throttle - egr lift ect. if you diconnect your Battery you need to reset your windows by dropping slightly then holding up on each door.

Hope this helps

ps if you clean you inlet use a hoover to catch the carbon. some will drop and cause aslight missfire or poor start effect for a second or so

thanx

Hi, I had the same problem with my 06 is 220d, the car was with the dealers for at least one month while they tried to fix it, they changed my turbo the egr valve and all injectors but still could not fix it. They finally found some fine particles in the air mass flow sensor that was causing the trouble. This sensor is located off of the air filter box and can be removed and cleaned by a competent mechanic .

Hope this helps you.

Regards

Ravi Chahal.

thanx

This is similar to what happened to our car. Loss of power and missing in high gear. It was the week before our warranty ran out, so took to local Lexus garage and the engine needed a full decoke. Car was in garage for nearly 2 weeks and if the warranty had expired it would have cost apporx £2500 according to garage. Apparently it was the result of a leaking injector.

checked it out and the Turbo does not kick in under 180, i think it is because the 30k service is due, going to book it in for a service and see if it improves. I notice it goes worse when the air con is on so it could be linked with the pollen filter issue.

• 1 month later...
Well ive had a service done and ive also started to use low sodium diesal however there is still an issue when in lower gears, anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Hi, you need to get your air mass flow sensor cleaned, You can check how to do that on YouTube by typeing in (how to clean air mass flow sensor).

copy and paste this link in your browser

or google symptoms of bad air mass flow sensor.

Rav.

Well ive had a service done and ive also started to use low sodium diesal however there is still an issue when in lower gears, anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Hi, you need to get your air mass flow sensor cleaned, You can check how to do that on YouTube by typeing in (how to clean air mass flow sensor).

Rav.

i have done this to my car and it is very simple,all you need is a cotton bud and meths and a screw driver.i must add that i hav'nt had any running problems,it's just something that i keep an eye on.

Rav.

i have done this to my car and it is very simple,all you need is a cotton bud and meths and a screw driver.i must add that i hav'nt had any running problems,it's just something that i keep an eye on.

Hi, I would not recommend touching the wires of the sensor as they are very delicate and could easily get damaged, Just spray some electronic contact cleaner on the wires and allow to air dry for half an hour.

You can get electronic contact spray cleaner from maplins.

Rav.