Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I dont know if I feel relieved or stupid. I looked at this forum but still went and bought a new IS220d SE (sunroof) in April 2008. Having now done 7k miles, I was very disappointed both with the car and the supplying dealer. A summary.

1. At 1100 miles / 2 months I noticed the boot lid was chaffing on the bumper, the body shop deputing manager sucked his teeth and asked if the car had been in an accident! I demanded to see other cars on the forecourt and all were the same. The boot lid and bumper position was adjusted on two separate occasions resulting in drips of water in the boot floor after washing.

2. The centre dash panel (cd changer etc) would give give a loud crack noise that sounded like different temperature expansion rates of materials as the noise was apparent even on straight smooth roads, i.e. not roundabouts. The service manager said that would be a first report even though his own car when driven by me had the same noise.

3. The dash board rattle below the bottom edge of the windscreen developed from nothing to annoying over the past 4k miles. I had no faith in the supplying dealer so I refused to let them fix it.

4. I complained about the dead spot in the power band below 2000 rpm to be told all sorts of excuses from, its Lexus' first diesel (how many Toyota diesels are there worldwide!) to "we ignore the forums" (such as LOC) .

5. The nearside rear seat belt jammed and became marked after 4 months. After reporting it I was told not to worry as the warranty would cover it. At first service when I enquired about replacement a note on my car paperwork stated it would cost £275 + VAT as the problem was self inflicted. If I didnt like it, I was told to contact Lexus GB.

6. At 6500 miles / 15 months I noticed wheel corrosion. I didnt even speak to the supplying dealer.

7. I cancelled my service plan to discover I was being overcharged for that too. (When I signed up it sounded like a good deal but when I queried the amount I was told to take or leave it, this fool still signed up).

I have gone to another dealership a little further away (I confess I didnt talk to them when I purchased the vehicle due to distance but I have had dealings with them in the past and certain individuals are excellent). Having explained the problems, all were acknowledged with fixes described and I was offered a date when a loan car was available. They loaned me a 250 SR Auto and I love it. The car has done 9k miles and no rattles, smooth and quick.

To be fair to the IS220d, I averaged 41.7 mpg which I think respectable but its hard work. Its no fun due to the gear change & clutch & 6th gear is a joke. I found 80 mph in 5th gave the best economy. Oh, and be careful pulling out on fast roads. Get the revs wrong and you are a sitting duck, the engine is dead below 1800 rpm.

The IS250 auto by comparison is a dream and I have found myself driving faster, having more fun and still returning >36 mpg (the secret on both cars is cruise control). Reports suggest this engine is poor for low rpm torque (the petrol manual is truly awful) but the auto box hides it well.

Bottom line, I have negotiated a new IS250 SE-I Auto with full nav for September 09 delivery.

If only the diesel was available with the auto box...................

Before you ask, the 220d was supplied by Octagon Bracknell, the "new" dealership is Lexus Guildford.

at first, when i had a is220d as a loan car(09 plate) it was "nice" and i was thinking to myself whats all the fuss about on the forums(power,rattles, 6th gear etc).......after 2 days of driving it around could not wait to give it back and have my is300 back...awfull car.

-on the other hand the is250 is a different kettle of fish, fantastic car....to me the 220d feels like there is something missing from it(refinement)

(the secret on both cars is cruise control).

I don't know how you mean this but according to my experience the lexus cruise controll rises the consumption by about 10%. I use it anyway...

I have different experience with other marques.

When you fall out of love with your car, even the smallest niggles can seem huge and insurmountable spoiling the entire experience. Sadly your post appears to be typical of the 220d experience! The IS250 should go a long way to restoring your Lexus experience :)

Well Chastise, releived or stupid? You make your mind up.

Looking at the forum and still going ahead, you probably thought this forum was just like any other, it isn't. In the main people on here are honest and tell it like it is, as you have found out.

Good luck with the 250 auto.

Yeah, loud cracking in the centre panel of the dash - I get exactly that too! It's worringly loud, but it keeps happening and nothing's stopped worrking...yet.

Also, 41mpg...I can only dream of this! Even with my wife's delicate right foot doing a motorway orientated 60 miles a day we still only get 34.x mpg!!!

As for pulling out of junctions in a hurry...bit of a worry that one!

Yeah, loud cracking in the centre panel of the dash - I get exactly that too! It's worringly loud, but it keeps happening and nothing's stopped worrking...yet.

Also, 41mpg...I can only dream of this! Even with my wife's delicate right foot doing a motorway orientated 60 miles a day we still only get 34.x mpg!!!

As for pulling out of junctions in a hurry...bit of a worry that one!

I had an IS200 Sport and loved it. I've had my IS250 SEL for just under a month and love it. My 250 had to go back to the dealer for a couple of days, as there were a couple of things not quite perfect (second hand buy, but only 4 months old). The loan car they gave me was an IS220 and I hated it. No power in low revs and complete lack of refinement. I'm amazed that Lexus have got something so wrong. Sorry for the negative comments - I know you own an IS220, and I mean no disrespect.

I wonder if they have taken on board the problems with the IS220?, i think the only way you can get a realy refined diesel is in 6 cylinder form, and if they will include one in the next generation IS.

I wonder if they have taken on board the problems with the IS220?, i think the only way you can get a realy refined diesel is in 6 cylinder form, and if they will include one in the next generation IS.

I reckon the next generation IS will be hybrid.

It's no secret - Lexus have always said that by 2012 thy will have a range with every model being available as a Hybrid. Dates line up with arrival of G3 IS.

This was always a stop gap filler, using Toyota D4D modified.

Anyway, some owners do genuinely believe the IS220d is better overall, so they buy and sing it's praise. Maybe it is in some ways. But not technically from my experience. It is good overall, but there are better diesel drive trains. It's the difference between what is good and what is great..........

Do you think they will discontinue the diesel and just use hybrid.

Yes- IMHO if you want a diesel compact executive car look at the alternatives: VAG cars, BMW, Mercedes. Their diesels engines are much better.

The only Jap diesel I would consider is the Accord diesel- its what the IS220d should have been.

I would not be at all surprised if the next IS is a petrol based hybrid. There is also huge amount of development going into petrol engines to increase the MPG and to reduce the CO2 output, which in time will negate the benefits of having a diesel engine. Personally, whereas the turbo lag on the is220 is a bit of a pain, i really love the car and thankfully i have not had the problems referred to on this forum. In an ideal world, i would have opted for the IS250 Auto, but the motor tax and Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) in the Republic of Ireland makes the ownership or the import of this car prohibitively expensive. For the forseeable future, the 220d is the one for me and i have no intention of getting rid.

What do you pay in Ireland for an IS250 in taxes. Bad enough here.

An IS250 Auto multimedia with se spec costs circa €52k...thats about £45k. Of that €52k there is about €20k VAT and VRT(vehicle registration tax). It is obscene.

Well, 3 years on and just about every bit of my car has been replaced some several times - going in today for a new drivers side mirror as electrics failing and my 5th set of alloys. Just had all the recalls done, new rear caliper, parcel shelf stripped out and fixed again, new front and rear discs, ECU re-write, EGR 1 replaced this time as it failed, manifold stripped and cleaned and a few others things replaced too.

I cannot fault Lexus Edinburgh - they are brilliant, look at and fix everything I ever complain about even if they can't find a fault.

As for all the grumbling - my IS220d drives well and any issues with the engine & gearbox - well, let's face it I bought the car, I own it and life is too short.

I honestly doubt anyone has had more work done on their IS220d than me - thanks to my groans, several letters to Lexus GB (I have a free extended warranty from them - that's how much moaning!). If I listed every issue I've had fixed it would take a full page of a thread but they were fixed and that's the point.

I think it's time some people got over the grumbles and started to enjoy the 2000 other things the car does better than any other manufacturer at the price!

Brian

I think it's time some people got over the grumbles and started to enjoy the 2000 other things the car does better than any other manufacturer at the price!

Brian

Thanx Brian, I could not agree more. This 220d Sport is my 3rd Lexus (previous was IS 200 and IS 300 SC). I have had this 220d for nearly 2 years now, just got back from a trip to Florence (5500 km trip) and as always I just love the car. Ok I have the occasional dashboard noise, the back seats can´t be folded and I am not too happy about the fuelconsumption (0.73 in average for this particular trip). But so what?

Besides that there are so many things I do enjoy. I am however about to get an RX instead, I just need more space and also 4WD would be nice as I live in the north of Sweden. I will miss the car for sure as I sometimed miss my IS 300.

/jalfa

• 3 weeks later...
I am however about to get an RX instead, I just need more space and also 4WD would be nice as I live in the north of Sweden.

just a quick comment on new RX - this is a bad car!

I had test drive on rx450h

-ride with air suspension is harsh as on IS (with steel even worse!)

-not enough air vents so when it is hot the cold air goes directly on you

-you have keyless access but you have to lock your car with the key as there is no button on the handlebar

-the worst is the 4x4 system. Before with rx300 you could get a nice fulltime awd, now to new rx350 they put cheap on-demand system which has nothing to do with active safety. It only helps you to climb the hill a that is it - and as it has no locking differential or reduction, the hill access can not be complicated...

With rx450h it is the same, but this was also with rx400h and it is matter of whole construction of the car.

Neverthless, I don't know the pricing in GB, but here is the hybrid so much more expensive, that it is not worth unless you do 40k per year.

Interior design reminds me to old avensis...I simply can not undestand how could lexus start to sell such unfinished car. When I look na X5, ML, Q7 - all are here for years and all are better in most ways than new lexus.

What do you pay in Ireland for an IS250 in taxes. Bad enough here.

An IS250 Auto multimedia with se spec costs circa €52k...thats about £45k. Of that €52k there is about €20k VAT and VRT(vehicle registration tax). It is obscene.

Have they come down in price there???. In 2006 that spec came in at €61,000 .Thats what I bought but luckily had moved North and was able to avoid VRT and only paid UK vat .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links