Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie With Is 220d And Dvd Problem

Alright guys

Ive been reading up on 220d here for a while. Despite the mixed reviews I have gone ahead and got an 06 se-l. Pic below

DSCF3026.jpg

Im happy with it so far. I can understand some on the complaints but none of them outweigh the refinement and toys compared to my old car.

The only problem at the moment is I have no picture when I play DVDs. I get sound of the dvd but the screen is just a light black. The screen works fine all other times. Today I did the dvd hack, earthed the red wire and checked the wires. The dvd now plays while moving but still with no sound??

Does anyone have any ideas? Its the only thing not working so its really annoying. Its out or warranty so cant go to the dealer.

Oh one last thing. The wheels are corroding like normal. If you get the standard rims refurbed does that stop the corrosion or does it carry on?

Thanks for the help

Adam

Hi

I have an is250 MM.

The DVD function will only work if the parking brake is applied

Sorry can't help with the wheels - the pads Lexus fit seem to emit a lot of dust so I wash thw wheels every week

Hope this helps

Alright guys

Ive been reading up on 220d here for a while. Despite the mixed reviews I have gone ahead and got an 06 se-l. Pic below

DSCF3026.jpg

Im happy with it so far. I can understand some on the complaints but none of them outweigh the refinement and toys compared to my old car.

The only problem at the moment is I have no picture when I play DVDs. I get sound of the dvd but the screen is just a light black. The screen works fine all other times. Today I did the dvd hack, earthed the red wire and checked the wires. The dvd now plays while moving but still with no sound??

Does anyone have any ideas? Its the only thing not working so its really annoying. Its out or warranty so cant go to the dealer.

Oh one last thing. The wheels are corroding like normal. If you get the standard rims refurbed does that stop the corrosion or does it carry on?

Thanks for the help

Adam

Hi

when playing dvd's try pressing the audio button on the right hand side of the sat nav & then press the icon named picture on the screen.

If this does not work check that the correct dvd region is set on the sat nav, you can find instructions to do this in the satnav manual.

Also with the dvd hack the red wire only bypasses the hand brake safety, you still need to connect a switch between the speed sensor wire (pink wire).

Hope this helps.

Rav.

Thanks for the replies.

Whs it now doesnt matter if the parking brake is applied as ive grounded the red wire. Rav I have also connected the pink and grey and silver wire. I can now use the phone but it hasnt helped the dvd.

I have tried a U.S dvd and it came up with region error so my other discs are fine. Also tried the audio then picture selection....it just flicks to a different shade of black :-( !?

Cheers

Thanks for the replies.

Whs it now doesnt matter if the parking brake is applied as ive grounded the red wire. Rav I have also connected the pink and grey and silver wire. I can now use the phone but it hasnt helped the dvd.

I have tried a U.S dvd and it came up with region error so my other discs are fine. Also tried the audio then picture selection....it just flicks to a different shade of black :-( !?

Cheers

Hi, thestig84

Sorry that did not work for you.

One more thing you can try is going into dvd control menu, This is done by pressing on the screen once while playing a dvd, you should then see a menu page with several control buttons play, puase, stop, etc. From here you need to press page 2 located on top right corner, this will take you to a page with a button marked setup, Now you should see a page setup menu. Press the default button to return to factory settings & then press enter and return buttons to get you back to dvd control page, Now press hide buttons to finish.

When you did the dvd hack did you remove the complete unit out to rewire ?, As i recall there are two outputs from dvd to the screen tv1 & tv2 ,The connector should be in tv1 leaving tv2 unused.

Also you say you have connected the pink and grey/silver wire ?, You should be connecting pink to white/silver wire going to satnav.

Have a look at dirtydogg's pictorial of uk is220 dvd hack to make sure you have connected the wires correctly.

the only other thing i can suggest is to disconect the car Battery negative terminal for a while , To reset satnav to factory settings.(5 to 10 mins should do)

P.s when you reconnect the Battery you will need to setup the electric windows by lowering each window in turn half way and then lifting back up & holding the button up for two seconds.

Regards.

Rav.

Cheers Rav

I meant the white silver wire. I did exactly as guides say just couldnt remember colour off top of my head. It has worked for phone etc so I know thats okay.

Ive done a return to default on dvd menu but to no avail. The outputs on the dvd screen sound interesting. I didnt look at them when i had it out. Is it work me talking it out again?

Where abouts would I look...down the bottom where the dvds are loaded? I remember a large chunk of black cables down there. I could hope that it had been replaced in the past and they just plugged it in the wrong output.

Thanks again

Adam

Cheers Rav

I meant the white silver wire. I did exactly as guides say just couldnt remember colour off top of my head. It has worked for phone etc so I know thats okay.

Ive done a return to default on dvd menu but to no avail. The outputs on the dvd screen sound interesting. I didnt look at them when i had it out. Is it work me talking it out again?

Where abouts would I look...down the bottom where the dvds are loaded? I remember a large chunk of black cables down there. I could hope that it had been replaced in the past and they just plugged it in the wrong output.

Thanks again

Adam

Hi, thestig84

Yes you will find the outputs named tv1 & tv2 on the back of the dvd unit at the bottom, But be carefull not to damage the corner trim or the screen in the car as you will need to pull out the unit quite far. Lay a thick towel down between were the ashtray fits & the gearstick to protect the screen while you check the connections on the back of the dvd player.

P.s if you find the plug is in tv1 you could try it in tv2 and see if it works on that output.

Good Luck.

Rav.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my DVD on the IS250 sport (06) - every other function on the MM worked, execpt the DVD playback - I got sound but no picture. Lexus LPL said that this was a parental control setting - someone put in a 4 digit code to stop kids playing with it. I never believed them, and asked them to fix it in 07, 08 and 09 service. They did get it working this week (in 07 and 08, I just accepted theior excuse re parental lock) - technician said that the cables at the back were loose. Though just out of warranty they did not charge for the few hours fixing this. However, shortly thereafter, fixing the DVD playback created a new problem - the Satnav decided I was around 30 miles away from wherever I was. It was funny driving on the M62 near LPL airport and the Satnav tellling me I was in Bolton. Another (free) hours work at Lex, and that was fixed too.

Maybe worth asking one of the techies at Lex to have a quick look at it (without booking it in), as some of these guys could be able to fix (or know what is exactly wrong) in a short time.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot see the point of the dvd playback, the function seems a total waste of time.

Personally if I want to watch a dvd the tv at home seems the best option.

Call me old fashion but the primary function of my car is driving, not a place to watch movies.

I cannot see the point of the dvd playback, the function seems a total waste of time.

Personally if I want to watch a dvd the tv at home seems the best option.

Call me old fashion but the primary function of my car is driving, not a place to watch movies.

Agree... I only use it for DVD audios (which sound amazing!)

Thanks for the input BosniaLexus. I did call into lexus but he just tried some pretty obvious things in the menu. Im going to try Ravs input swap when i get the chance.

Im not sure how that helps me Steve-L. Even if im not to use it much it is more the fact I dont like having something not working on the car.

• 1 month later...

Rav you were spot on. I think lexus must have had it out as one of the 10mm bolts had been dropped and replaced by a different one. When they had it out they must have plugged the input in the wrong port.

Swapped them over and it works a treat now. Superb, thanks for the help!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links