Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie,1st Lexus Yesterday,not Good News

cabbagegreen

Hi all, as the title says, bought my 1st Lexus yesterday, 1998 GS 300 SE, I wont go into all the details of how I was mislead with the info from the seller before I made all the arrangements of getting to him,trains etc. Took the car for a test drive, couldn't believe how smooth it was,I've owned a few S class Mercs and this was just as good if not better,I should have took it where I could drive at 60 mph because on the way home I got the famous wheel wobble between 60 and 65 mph. Also I was told both remotes needed new batteries so on the way home I stopped at Halfords but they told me as the red LEDs light up when you press the buttons the batteries were ok,when I got back to the car I tried the fobs but neither of them worked,is it possible the batteries are too weak to operate the system,I'll be trying the fob reset procedure that I read about on here but if that doesn't work I suppose fresh batteries are the next step. The Car was advertised with 3 Keys but I was then told when I was there that there were only 2 and they're both Master keys,I read on here that using the Master key all the time can upset the ecu,can anyone confirm this please and finally the brakes feel gritty,like a fool I thought it was the ABS and I have to admit I was like a little boy in a sweet shop,I always am when I go to pick Cars up.I'll b e taking it to my local tyre and brake place,hopefully it will only need new pads and the wheels balancing to stop the wobble but after reading on here it sounds like it could be a lot more.

I'm not moaning about the Car,I think it's great,the Sat Nav etc,the power and ride,lovely,I'm just :tsktsk: that even after all the questions I asked and what I was told I still got stitched,might even take it back to him and park it up his :tsktsk:

Finally,I'm very impressed with how friendly and helpful it is on here :shifty:

Welcome to LOC mate! Sorry to hear of the problems but hopefully we'll be able to help on here!

First off, the wheel wobble could be just as you've already said the brakes, wheel balancing or geometry. I see you're in Bucks, are you far from Chesham? If so get it down to WIM (Wheels in Motion) and have the car checked over by Tony - it'll be a lot cheaper plus I'm sure he'll be able to get to the bottom of the problem.

Halfords aren't always the best people to ask for advice - I know first hand (it happened on my car) where even if the red light flashes the batteries can be dead so I would change them first rather than try reprogram them with dead keys........there is also a problem with radio interference sometimes from wifi routers and the like but I'm quite confident it will be the batteries so try that first :)

Yes there should be 3 keys, 2 master (black with three buttons) and one valet (grey with two buttons). As long as you have the two masters I wouldn't worry about it too much - not sure where you heard that but there is no problem with using the master all the time. I've only used one key since I bought my car! :winky:

It doesn't sound too bad overall, so get these niggles sorted and get on to enjoying the car! Oh and post up some pics when you get a chance :whistling:

Hi all, as the title says, bought my 1st Lexus yesterday, 1998 GS 300 SE, I wont go into all the details of how I was mislead with the info from the seller before I made all the arrangements of getting to him,trains etc. Took the car for a test drive, couldn't believe how smooth it was,I've owned a few S class Mercs and this was just as good if not better,I should have took it where I could drive at 60 mph because on the way home I got the famous wheel wobble between 60 and 65 mph. Also I was told both remotes needed new batteries so on the way home I stopped at Halfords but they told me as the red LEDs light up when you press the buttons the batteries were ok,when I got back to the car I tried the fobs but neither of them worked,is it possible the batteries are too weak to operate the system,I'll be trying the fob reset procedure that I read about on here but if that doesn't work I suppose fresh batteries are the next step. The Car was advertised with 3 Keys but I was then told when I was there that there were only 2 and they're both Master keys,I read on here that using the Master key all the time can upset the ecu,can anyone confirm this please and finally the brakes feel gritty,like a fool I thought it was the ABS and I have to admit I was like a little boy in a sweet shop,I always am when I go to pick Cars up.I'll b e taking it to my local tyre and brake place,hopefully it will only need new pads and the wheels balancing to stop the wobble but after reading on here it sounds like it could be a lot more.

I'm not moaning about the Car,I think it's great,the Sat Nav etc,the power and ride,lovely,I'm just :tsktsk: that even after all the questions I asked and what I was told I still got stitched,might even take it back to him and park it up his :tsktsk:

Finally,I'm very impressed with how friendly and helpful it is on here :shifty:

Don't worry mate, all these things can be fixed!

( a) Wheel wobble - most likely warped discs on the front, though could be a sticky caliper - change the discs if still present after your wheel balance. I've had the same mate, there are loads of guides on how to do it yourself on here. It's an hours work.

( B) Gritty brakes - probably worn pads. Easy fix

( c) Key fob - Driving with the master at all times is fine!!!! The key's are made for using, that's why they have buttons on to open the doors! There are also guides on how to re-programme the remotes on here! 2 minute fix.

Get these things done and you're away!

Good luck mate, keep posting, we are here to help each other and get some pics up! ;)