Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d Egr Bypass

JDC

Hi all,

New to the forums, and what a useful site!

I have a quick question about the EGR valve on the IS220

I recently had in issue of turbo lag, and found the answer here, it was the result of carbon build up on the EGR valve.

I've just had this cleaned, and the mechanic said he could bypass the valve by blanking it off...

Is this legal in the UK? Also would the ECU need changing to account for this change?

Cheers.

Jon

this would work and i would imagine that it wouldnt need anything doing to the ecu because of it. the only thing is, this helps reduce your emissions and can help performance aswell as hinder it at times. i would imagine if you did do it, you may have a few issues with starting and the legalities of doing it.

I know its a different car, but I have mine blanked off on my BMW 330D for the past few months. No issues but the car does drive differently - it is smoother and the power delivery more relaxed.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into the legal aspect, although the mechanic advised it's not needed in European markets. Apparently the Japanese have strict emission standards.

so do we regarding car tax being based on it (",)

Sorry let me re-phrase, "the Japanase have far stricter emission standards than in the UK."

I've looked around and these bypasses are quite common on other (albeit older) vehicles.

I'm going to get the plates made up (garage says it will be around £30), and see what effect this has.

I can always remove them if needed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
will you let me know how this went?? and where is the egr valve located i'll take it off and see is there carbon build up

The picture below shows EGR valve No:2 (which has a red sticker on it), there is also EGR valve No:1 which is not visible in this photo.

post-23347-1259402908.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
will you let me know how this went?? and where is the egr valve located i'll take it off and see is there carbon build up

The picture below shows EGR valve No:2 (which has a red sticker on it), there is also EGR valve No:1 which is not visible in this photo.

post-23347-1259402908.jpg

very interesting info thanks :shifty:

• 4 years later...

This will send your car into Limp mode - I've tried it. I can vaguely recall a connection to dump valve pressure and so the solution is more complicated and involves divertin fresh air into the valve rather than blanking.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am new here and thought I would explain my experience with this. I cleaned my EGR valve last year, I am a bit of a novice when it comes to mechanics but i managed it. There are a couple of helpful videos on youtube that walked me through it. It was a bit tricky to get to some of the nuts, I used a small socket set with an elbow/flex attachment (I wouldn't have succeeded without it). As long as you can get it out it's fairly simple to clean. I soaked mine in petrol and scrubbed out all the soot with a toothbrush, I have seen others use a carb/engine cleaner. I was shocked how sooty it was. No massive change to performance but my MPG improved a bit, it was more peace of mind to know all that junk was gone.

Unfortunately I have been getting a severe loss of power under 2000 rpm so I am looking around on here to find some solutions, I'm thinking its the DPF issue. I am about to change the air filter and clean the EGR again to see if it helps a bit.

Guest bigbullhead

I had loads of error codes on my car and only one threw the limp mode on cleared5 codes and now runs really well prior to that very very sluggish below 2000rpm so if you think you may have unknown errors hiding check it if you have not already :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links