Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Efi Relay Noise

Hi everyone , just wondered if anybody has ever come across this fault before.

A lad at work is having a problem with the Efi relay in the engine bay clicking in time with the LED for the alarm. The LED will flash as normal but is sort of pulsing faintly in between flashes and causing the relay to click.

He said that the car can be fine when he leaves it but can go back some time later and it has started to click again.

This has had me scrathing my head all afternoon and i havent got a clue.

any ideas ?

Cheers

Deano

Hi everyone , just wondered if anybody has ever come across this fault before.

A lad at work is having a problem with the Efi relay in the engine bay clicking in time with the led for the alarm. The led will flash as normal but is sort of pulsing faintly in between flashes and causing the relay to click.

He said that the car can be fine when he leaves it but can go back some time later and it has started to click again.

This has had me scrathing my head all afternoon and i havent got a clue.

any ideas ?

Cheers

Deano

OK, so, in my numpty view, it could be that the ECU needs reset? or maybe a loose/ damaged cable. It could also be the relay itself is on the way out. Hope somebody can pinpoint it exactly.

Col :winky: :)

Cheers for the reply Col,

First thing we did was an ecu reset but no luck, just been to Lexus and the cost for the relay is £7.70 + vat so not exactly a bank breaker even if it jus to rule it out .

Any other ideas ?

Ideally you need a wiring diagram to see which circuit triggers the relay to power up the ECU. Not sure on Lexus but on Mercs (vans) the immobiliser reads the key code, if it is programmed in it will then tell the engine ECU to enable the engine to start. The ECU switches one of the relay trigger wires to earth which clicks the relay over. So for it to be clicking would indicate a possible fault with the alarm/immobiliser which won't be recieving the signals it is expecting to.

I'd check the plug connections on the ECU for any signs of water ingress or corrosion as they could cause a high resistance. Normally if a relay fails it will stick either on or off, so the clicking is a sign that it is working, may be worth swapping it for a different one to rule it out though.

Hope this helps, Mark.

Quick update on this as its now been resolved.

Turns out that it was the Battery in the key fob, the fob internals had been tapped to the ignition barrel as part of the instalation of an after market alarm system and had been there some time so the Battery had gone flat.

All sorted now but took some to find the problem as he didnt realise that the fob was there.

Cheers for the suggestions

Deano