Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dial Unit

Hi guys trying to sell my dial unit and still wondering if changing the unit will keep the cars actual mileage ? Monster Matt I see your back im hoping you will know, as im sure i read somewhere that the mileage is kept in the ECU somewhere not the actual dial unit.

Any help would be great

Cheers Elliott

does sound too easy to clock doesn't it, I am aware a member on here who rarely logs in found out that his car was displaying about 35k less than it had done, i'd be gutted if I found that out, but mine's from a dealer so they'd be havin it back

hmmm, that sounds daft if you could just switch clocks and the car now has a new mileage!!!!

might not be that wise me having the unit if that does prove to be the case.......

can the dials be removed from the unit???

Yeah thats why I was thinking they would be stored else where.

Cannot remember the exact mileage its around the 105k mark i think

Yes they can be, but no I can't be arsed LoL and the risk of breaking something due to it being pretty fiddly is high.

are you selling the clocks cuz i need some mine are playing up i go down the road flooring it then the speedo goes up slow then jumps up and the same when i brake but going down and some times it gets stuck at 60 so i have to tap the top of the surround and it goes to where it should be

if any one knows of how to fix this or would i have to have new clocks

sorry to go a bit of topic

Yes the mileage is stored in the cluster, and yes it will change if you swap the clusters. This is not uncommon, and its only really in recent years that manufacturers have started trying to get around this by storing the mileage in different ECU's - normally in several which the car then compares on start up. However, the IS200 is a relatively old car so there is nothing this clever in it.

For those in the know, the mileage is stored in a 93c46 EEPROM microchip soldered onto the back of the cluster - it is relatively easy to unsolder this and connect it to your computer if you have the confidence! With the right piece of software to tell you what data to change on this chip, and an EEPROM programmer, you can program whatever mileage you want into it.

This in itself is not illegal, as long as you are not trying to misrepresent the mileage to an unsuspecting buyer! For older second hand cars where the clusters may break, this can be useful to reset the mileage to what it should be when you fit a new/second-hand cluster. There are various companies on the internet (many UK based) that can do this work for you.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to advertise changing your mileage, its just that I've upgraded the instruments in the girlfriend's old Micra and I'm in the process of resetting the mileage to what it should be, and just thought I might as well clear up this issue!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links