Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220d Fuel Filter Location

Hi All, I wonder if anyone can help me....

Would any of you happen to know the location to the Fuel Filter on the Lexus IS220d? As a part of the service kit that I purchased - It included the fuel filter, I've done everything else..except this!

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve :blink:

Its just above the rear differential to the LH side mate. Its a trickey job to do even on a ramp. On the RH side of the diff is a water sedimenter with a little drain tap make sure you empty that during the filter chage.

Its just above the rear differential to the LH side mate. Its a trickey job to do even on a ramp. On the RH side of the diff is a water sedimenter with a little drain tap make sure you empty that during the filter chage.

Thanks Peco84! I'll give it a shot at somepoint tomorrow! - I had spent ages looking for the sodding thing!

Regards

Steve ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I just put mine in for a service and asked for the fuel filter to be changed, they couldnt get the screw undone and said it was in a really awkward place. They said the housing might crack if they carried on, so i said to leave it as it has only done 33,000 and they said it wasnt really due to be changed,however there still seems to be power issues when in low gears, not sure if the fuel filter would have made any difference?

Hi All, I wonder if anyone can help me....

Would any of you happen to know the location to the Fuel Filter on the Lexus IS220d? As a part of the service kit that I purchased - It included the fuel filter, I've done everything else..except this!

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve :blink:

Steve just PM me your email address as i have a workshop manual and i will send

pages over showing how to remove

Matt

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I recently purchased an IS220d and I'm looking to do a fuel filter replacement. Matt, could I please PM you my email address for that workshop manual?

I have had quite low mpg even when driving very efficiently. I've cleaned the EGR valve already and I'm thinking of trying this also.

Thank you for your help.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I recently purchased an IS220d and I'm looking to do a fuel filter replacement. Matt, could I please PM you my email address for that workshop manual?

I have had quite low mpg even when driving very efficiently. I've cleaned the EGR valve already and I'm thinking of trying this also.

Thank you for your help.

Hi all,

I have also to change the fuel filter ... but no idea where is located.

Please some of you can help me?

Thank you in advance.

Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

as mentioned, it is above the rear differential on the LH side. You have to remove the housing.

Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

as mentioned, it is above the rear differential on the LH side. You have to remove the housing.

Thank you very much!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thank you in advance.

Thank you very much!

Hi, i can't remove de filter, somebody has a dwg of this filter or can tell me how to open it...

thank's in advance

you need to remove the housing first, because there is a screw which can not be accessed without having the housing out...

There are I think 3 screws holding the housing. Remove also both fuel lines, of course.

Now you have to remove the housing - this is tricky, because you have to find the way in the tangle of the suspension. Just play with it, it will take some time, but it is possible.

When it will be out, remove the screw and turn the lid.

Now, when you will be under the car, on the right side of the fuel tank is the sludge screw - drain the **** out...

when you put back the housing with new filter, do NOT start the car instantly!!! just press the start button twice (without the clutch) and in the menu start the program PRIMING. Let it for two minutes (you will hear the fuel pump working) and then you can start...

• 8 months later...

Hi All,

I would replace the fuel filter and I have understood where it is located.

In e-bay I have seen that the spare part is only the internal part of the filter.

I have ordered the filter to my usual spare parts dealer but he said me that the filter has a traditional metallic shape.

Anyone have information about it or a picture?

Is the filter replacement feasible also without the ramp?

Thank you.

Walter

Hi All,

I would replace the fuel filter and I have understood where it is located.

In e-bay I have seen that the spare part is only the internal part of the filter.

I have ordered the filter to my usual spare parts dealer but he said me that the filter has a traditional metallic shape.

Anyone have information about it or a picture?

Is the filter replacement feasible also without the ramp?

Thank you.

Walter

I have taken some pictures.

I have rotated the ring of the housing but it turns just few degrees and I'm not able to remove the housing.

Is such small rotation correct in order to remove the housing?

After the housing removal I have understood I will have to remove the 3 screws (M10 I think) for the filter replacement.

post-32000-0-54936200-1309119892.jpg

On the other side of the differential I have seen a plastic screw. Is it the sludge screw for water removal?

post-32000-0-75245600-1309120085.jpg

Please help me with your experience.

Thank you.

Walter

first you have to unbolt those 3 M10 which you highlighted, deconnect all hoses and remove whole housing out (it is quite tricky, because of all those suspension parts, but possible)

then, with housing in your hands, there is one bolt/screw to demount and you will be able to open the housing.

2nd question - yes that should be it (can't remember though, its long time, but I remember clearly it was on the other side of differential) - give it a try, there is nothing to broke.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

This is the worst bit of the IS200d/220d  I have come across so far.... took me a long time to do this, and some language the neighbours didn't appreciate.    I'd be very surprised if any garages did it... I imagine they would give the casing a wipe and pretend.. it wouldn't pay for their time.

When it comes back for it's replacement again, I'll sell the car... really don;t want to do that again.

Its an awkward one to change that’s for sure,half hour to do a filter is a bit crazy. I have fitted screw in from bottom on mine so it’s easier next time round as I shouldn’t need to take housing down.

the screw only stops it from turning so fitting from the bottom is not an issue as it still stops it turning.

I did swear a lot about it being a stupid design etc. But I didn’t find it massively difficult in comparison to some jobs I have done on other cars.

tigra EGR valves for example were an utter tw@t to change considering it’s just 2 bolts and a plug

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've just done a head gasket change on an is220d. Used the priming option on the dash and I've got a flood of fuel from the lh side of the diff. Opened the access hatches under the back seats and no leaks there. Anyone got that service manual? Anyone got any insight as to why its decides to become incontinent? Thanks

Hi Ben,

Did you do the head gasket yourself?  Would be interesting to hear how difficult a job it was.

Also, if you are referring to the passenger side rear for the leak, then that it where the fuel filter lives, so it is a distinct possibility you will find the issue there.

Have PM'd you as well.

I did, yes, with the help of the stepson since it's his new car. It was the typical sort of Japanese thing, mostly everything held on with 4, even, metric bolts and easily accessible but then also quite fiddly with all the awful, squeezy hose clips and everything at the back around the high pressure pump. Hands are kinda cut to ribbons now. One thing that would have been greatly appreciated is if the timing chain cover had been split somewhere between the crank pulley and the head since there's a chain tensioner bolted to both the block and head. Head bolt torqueing sequence is very counter intuitive too.

All back together now and a little sluggish turning over but battery's only at about 12.3v. Been trawling the site a little and seen someone else has had the fuel filter o ring decide to blowout. Just hoping no crust decides to pull through from the intake and lunch the valves/turbo.