Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Couple Of New Play Things.....

PJ S

.....to assess for bestness.

First up:

metro_blaster_sidekick.jpg

As can be seen, a very compact unit, with both a concentrator nozzle, and a flared/fan nozzle.

Single speed, with specs that read 160mph and 85 CFM (cubic feet/min).

Power draw is 950 watts, weighs only 3lbs (1.3kg), and supplied with a captive mains lead of 12 feet.

Next up:

815647.jpg

Similarly priced, but quite a bit more powerful, this one hangs off your shoulder.

Weighing 5.9lbs (2.5kg), with a dual position switch for twin speed selection, and 5' hose with just a straight nozzle.

Draws 1300w - almost half as much again as the Sidekick, but the unit is 3 HP vs 1.3 HP, so quite a difference for such a modest increase in consumption.

Had hoped to get a chance to use one or both of them yesterday, but alas the opportunity never materialised - maybe today.

Review on both forthcoming, so stay tuned! :D

Yes Parth - similar idea to the handheld leaf blowers, giving you the potential for a complete touchless wash regime.

For me, it's possibly a better option than using a DI vessel and resin to rinse the car off with, to save rushing around getting the water off before it dries, leaving me with water spots to remove.

Plus there's getting the water out from behind the door mirrors and other crevices, but that's more a bonus than an absolute necessity.

Easier to use than carting about the DI vessel and switching to it from the pressure washe - plus saving on replenishing it, and the extra connector and piece of hose to hook up to it, and putting all away again.

Dino - Not aware of pink ones, but other models are available in orange and purple. I'm sure you could always paint yours pink if you really felt the urge to demonstrate openly, your feminine side! :lol:

Very interesting, definitely is annoying to not be able to get the water out of the mirror housing, and then have it spray all over the side of the car on the first journey..........would be interested to hear how you get on with them :)

How much do these things cost?

Retail is around the £110 mark, but may be organising a GB on DW or another forum - so we'll see what the interest is.

Looking around £80-85 delivered if enough numbers are up for it.

Today was the day they got tested, and in all honesty, the Sidekick was quite poor - it now makes perfect sense to see the unit partnered with a Hog in the various images you can see on US detailing supply sites.

Pity, as the ergonomics of the unit were very good, but without the concentrator nozzle in place, it was akin to an out of breath, asthmatic, blowing on the water.

Even with the concentrator fitted, it was still not effective enough to warrant the expenditure - so back it goes.

Great for bikes undoubtedly, but a car is too much of a tall order unfortunately.

The Maxx unit was by far and away the more impressive, but........it still took longer to blow and evaporate the water away than is ideal.

Mind you, to be fair to both, (more so the Maxx) the car was only treated to a foam and rinse, and is definitely in need of both a good claying, and an LSP of some sort.

As a result, there was probably more water to remove than would be the case if I sheeted it, and the surface was more slippery.

That said however, it's still a good test to see how the two compared, and in the outcome is that the Maxx trounced the Sidekick.

One other aspect of the Maxx I thought was useful, was the warmth of the air it put out - easily 45ºC, if not 50.

Nice on your back in winter, and in your hand as you hold the hose.

One bit of a negative - the hose could do with being more supple, but the bulk of the money is in the motor, which is more important than hose suppleness, all things considered.

Noise wise, the Sidekick is certainly quieter than the Maxx, but the Maxx was no more noisy than using a vacuum cleaner - in fact the bulk of any increase in noise came from when the nozzles were directed at the wheel nuts.

So, will I be keeping the Maxx, or returning it for a refund?

Hmmm......haven't quite decided yet. As much as it's a brilliant, compact, wee unit that sits nicely on your shoulder, I think it needs a better/different nozzle to be fully effective - and for around the same money, I've come across something as powerful, (if not more so) that has variable heat control (Off to 60ºC) and variable twin speeds.

As was seen by the Maxx's warming of the air, this along with the increased airflow paid major dividends when it came to get shot of the standing water on the car.

I'll probably hang on to it for a while yet, to play and compare with the other unit I now have in mind, as well as test on mine again (and others) where the paintwork is fully clean and LSP'd.

Not convinced I'd pay so much for something if it doesn't appear to be a huge improvement, but will be interested to hear whether your thoughts change as you use it more :)

Yes, intend to give it a second chance after washing, claying, and LSP'ing the car shortly - all being well.

Also have 2 others I'm interested in testing for suitability, although one does lift the price a bit more - still, if it's what's needed to do the job effectively, then that's the price you have to pay.

Still will work out cheaper than DI'ing over the same 3-4 years life expectancy of the unit.

More views and thoughts in due course, once they've been received and tested.

DG, do us ALL a favour please, and p1s5 0ff with your cynicism! I have no time for your crass, and imbecilic commentary.

You are a completely insignificant mouthpiece with nothing constructive to offer, so please refrain from acting the forum tw4t, and only put fingers to keyboard when you have something actually worth typing!

Meanwhile, please feel free to use the report function - admin have no issues with me talking up my affinity for Bilt Hamber products, as per the last thread you acted the tw4t in, before being locked.

In fact, any more of your stupid nonsense, and I'll be the one taking steps to have your account here permanently removed - so wind your neck in, once and for all!

As I don't make idle threats, you've been forewarned that that's a promise - and I always keep my promises.

DG, do us ALL a favour please, and p1s5 0ff with your cynicism! I have no time for your crass, and imbecilic commentary.

You are a completely insignificant mouthpiece with nothing constructive to offer, so please refrain from acting the forum tw4t, and only put fingers to keyboard when you have something actually worth typing!

Meanwhile, please feel free to use the report function - admin have no issues with me talking up my affinity for Bilt Hamber products, as per the last thread you acted the tw4t in, before being locked.

In fact, any more of your stupid nonsense, and I'll be the one taking steps to have your account here permanently removed - so wind your neck in, once and for all!

As I don't make idle threats, you've been forewarned that that's a promise - and I always keep my promises.

pjs,i say it as i see it and beleive that you are punting stuff on this site purely for your own self interest and gain.i bet that the loc is one of many forum's where you have posted this thread?so if you think that you get close my account then do it.

What?

Please explain how posting up my views of the two items, how the hell it is "self interest and gain"?

Is there a something I'm not seeing here? - other than you trying to make 1+1=47

And the same thread running in more than one forum? D'uh.......yeah!

There are more than one forum I'm a member of - each with its own car care section - so of course I'm going to post it there too, since those members probably aren't members of here!

That's an utterly idiotic thing to say, and a complete non point! It only serves to prove you really don't think before you let your fingers run riot on the keyboard.

Like I said, if you've nothing constructive to say regarding the topic at hand, then ignore the thread, and don't poison it with your ill thought-out diatribe.

Unless you can prove any of your accusational insinuations, please refrain from spouting figments of your imagination..........or more commonly referred to as trolling.

As I'm sure your mother has said to you on many an occasion, "if you've nothing worthwhile saying, then it's worth saying nothing" - pay heed to her wise words or my next action is the Report button.

Thanks for spoiling an otherwise interesting thread with your useless interjections! disappointed.gif

What?

Please explain how posting up my views of the two items, how the hell it is "self interest and gain"?

Is there a something I'm not seeing here? - other than you trying to make 1+1=47

And the same thread running in more than one forum? D'uh.......yeah!

There are more than one forum I'm a member of - each with its own car care section - so of course I'm going to post it there too, since those members probably aren't members of here!

That's an utterly idiotic thing to say, and a complete non point! It only serves to prove you really don't think before you let your fingers run riot on the keyboard.

Like I said, if you've nothing constructive to say regarding the topic at hand, then ignore the thread, and don't poison it with your ill thought-out diatribe.

Unless you can prove any of your accusational insinuations, please refrain from spouting figments of your imagination..........or more commonly referred to as trolling.

As I'm sure your mother has said to you on many an occasion, "if you've nothing worthwhile saying, then it's worth saying nothing" - pay heed to her wise words or my next action is the Report button.

Thanks for spoiling an otherwise interesting thread with your useless interjections! disappointed.gif

this is a forum for lexus owners of which your are not one,your are a pedler imo,you press the button anytime you likeand get on your bike and pedal away.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Nothing more positive to say than the one above, arrived, was tested, and put back in its box - which is very nicely package.

It wasn't as powerful as anticipated, but one of its attachments was definitely better on the Maxx unit.

Essentially, the tubing used expands, which has a knock-on effect, I think, and the airflow just isn't up there. The tubing, like the Maxx, is too narrow - they need to be a larger diameter, but in doing so, you'll reduce the airflow, so you're back to square one.

If you fancy something better than an unergonomically designed leaf blower, then the Maxx is worth spending on for blowing out the crevices and door mirrors, etc. - but blowing a whole car dry is a bit beyond its scope, unfortunately.

Be warned though, if you have medium/hard water, you can still end up with water spots as the air is warm enough to evaporate the water.

So, it has limited usage ultimately.

To be fair though, the other one can be had for similarish money too, so it's fair to say if they are being drafted in to do crevice/mirror blow-outs, then either is suitable, but the Maxx has just that bit more power, as well as being noisier and the negative aspect of not being able to change out its brushes.

Personally, I slightly prefer the TDS901, but would happily use the Maxx if that's what was available.

My search continues.......so keep your eyes peeled for this thread being updated with other possible contenders.

hi PJS

sorry but this is the first time i have taken the time to read this thread

as far as i am concerned you are advertising and you are not a trader

not only that, you are under the belief that you can talk to people like dirt

all members here deserve a bit of respect

suggest you go away and try and find some

suspended !

hi PJS

sorry but this is the first time i have taken the time to read this thread

as far as i am concerned you are advertising and you are not a trader

not only that, you are under the belief that you can talk to people like dirt

all members here deserve a bit of respect

suggest you go away and try and find some

suspended !

bravo sir and well said.

• 1 month later...
....not only that, you are under the belief that you can talk to people like dirt

all members here deserve a bit of respect...

But yet the same respect doesn't apply to me? Why's that then?

I spoke my mind, since a certain member above has done nothing but be an antagonist, and if he was really that perturbed about me being a trader, he'd have just hit the Report button without saying a word.

He was spoken to in the manner which he deserved, since it's all so very easy to throw about accusations without one shred of proof - which he still can't offer!

....not only that, you are under the belief that you can talk to people like dirt

I spoke my mind, since a certain member above has done nothing but be an antagonist, and if he was really that perturbed about me being a trader, he'd have just hit the Report button without saying a word.

He was spoken to in the manner which he deserved, since it's all so very easy to throw about accusations without one shred of proof - which he still can't offer!

get a life you geek

get a life you geek

was there any need for that?

get a life you geek

was there any need for that?

Yep doesn't seem particularly constructive........I don't get what all the fuss was about really, there wasn't any hint of trading in my eyes, and I for one was actually interested in seeing how well those products worked.

On that note, how have you been getting on with them? :)

Still using the Maxx, but the one I had been expecting to get, then didn't, has been picked up by Chemical Guys UK - and it seems it may be the best one for that price point (£100, give or take).

of drying a car with it.