Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Courtsey Car Rx450h

Hi Guys,

Purely for interest, my IS250 SE MM is in for a service on Monday, and the GM at Croydon has organised use of the RX450h for me. I love the IS and this forum, which seems to be light years ahead of anything else I have looked at, in terms of the quality of the contributions etc.

I am not convinced I would buy one, but would be really interested in any comments you may have, and will of course report back.

Not sure I am clever enough to post this on another bit of the LOC but will try.

P.S.

Have exceeded my expectations and hope this appears on the correct forum. Not sure I'll have time to read all the threads so any one liners would be appreciated.

DJP

Hi Guys,

Purely for interest, my IS250 SE MM is in for a service on Monday, and the GM at Croydon has organised use of the RX450h for me. I love the IS and this forum, which seems to be light years ahead of anything else I have looked at, in terms of the quality of the contributions etc.

I am not convinced I would buy one, but would be really interested in any comments you may have, and will of course report back.

Not sure I am clever enough to post this on another bit of the LOC but will try.

P.S.

Have exceeded my expectations and hope this appears on the correct forum. Not sure I'll have time to read all the threads so any one liners would be appreciated.

DJP

Sorry bud, if you think the IS250 is ahead of anything you aint looked around. Test drove the RX450h for a whole day, economy 31MPG not pushing it, general handling compaired to my X6 35D................................... poor.

HUD does not give enough information on the sceen, seats are not comfortable unless you pay for the top of the range model to get electric front extension ( could not tilt the seat back far enough without this add on) and I felt like I was falling off the seat most of the time!!!!

Drives ok in a straight line, and has a bit of go when required, but noisey when pushed up the rev range.

Sat-Nav, awful black boxed "current road your on" depicted right across where your car is on the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whats that all about.

Overal a disapointment and way over priced.

Lastly servicing, who in this day and age needs a service every 10K???????. my X6 needs an OIL change only in 19K, yep nothing else, thats almost TWO years motoring for me, and @ £300+ per service from Lexus thats robery.

You can turn the current road box off in the options, pretty much everything with the sat nav can be customised, its way more flexible than the pro nav in my previous car, an e61.

Completely agree with the handling and performance, BMW are class leading in the exec sector pretty much across the board, if you want a sports diesel exec get the BMW. Only the XF comes anywhere near close to a BMW and the diesel S is a bit soft compared to a M Sport.

Econ for the 35d is way better on a long, straight run, round town I'd give it to the Lexus if you can be careful, 35 to 40 is possible with a little effort, it does depend on driving style. Short journeys always used to ruin the econ in my BMW.

As for cost of ownership the RX 450h makes the most sense if its a company car (like mine) due to its lower BIK (I save about ~£300 net a month compared to a similar spec X6) and its higher standard spec (once you are past the basic model) as options seem to be dead weight on the lease cost as the leasing company doesn't seem to adjust the future value of the car upwards to reflect £5k of options on the BMW. All in all I'm saving about ~£450 a month net with the Lexus compared to the BMW, or more than half as much again what the Lexus costs me net.

You can turn the current road box off in the options, pretty much everything with the sat nav can be customised, its way more flexible than the pro nav in my previous car, an e61.

Completely agree with the handling and performance, BMW are class leading in the exec sector pretty much across the board, if you want a sports diesel exec get the BMW. Only the XF comes anywhere near close to a BMW and the diesel S is a bit soft compared to a M Sport.

Econ for the 35d is way better on a long, straight run, round town I'd give it to the Lexus if you can be careful, 35 to 40 is possible with a little effort, it does depend on driving style. Short journeys always used to ruin the econ in my BMW.

As for cost of ownership the RX 450h makes the most sense if its a company car (like mine) due to its lower BIK (I save about ~£300 net a month compared to a similar spec X6) and its higher standard spec (once you are past the basic model) as options seem to be dead weight on the lease cost as the leasing company doesn't seem to adjust the future value of the car upwards to reflect £5k of options on the BMW. All in all I'm saving about ~£450 a month net with the Lexus compared to the BMW, or more than half as much again what the Lexus costs me net.

Totally agree with you on a "Business" user, around town the lexus wins no doubt, BUT I like many don't drive much in town, so not so good for me.

What gets up my nose is all the "HYPE" about technology from Lexus and yet still is falls way short of "STATED" facts and figures.

Just where have these millions of pounds worth of improvement got the car from the 400h, in short NOWHERE.

Hi Guys,

P.S.

DJP

Sorry bud, if you think the IS250 is ahead of anything you aint looked around. Test drove the RX450h for a whole day, economy 31MPG not pushing it, general handling compaired to my X6 35D................................... poor.

HUD does not give enough information on the sceen, seats are not comfortable unless you pay for the top of the range model to get electric front extension ( could not tilt the seat back far enough without this add on) and I felt like I was falling off the seat most of the time!!!!

Drives ok in a straight line, and has a bit of go when required, but noisey when pushed up the rev range.

Sat-Nav, awful black boxed "current road your on" depicted right across where your car is on the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whats that all about.

Lastly servicing, who in this day and age needs a service every 10K???????. my X6 needs an OIL change only in 19K, yep nothing else, thats almost TWO years motoring for me, and @ £300+ per service from Lexus thats robery.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood, what I meant was that the forum was light years ahead of anything else, not the car! Although, I do love the IS250. As far as the RX450h is concerned, it was interesting to drive if only to experience the hybrid technology. I'm not bothered about mpg and am not at all technical when it comes to cars, but no way would I pay £55k for it, and agree the HUD doesn't do enough. The handling wasn't great either but it was worth the £10 courtesy car charge. Mine is back in next week for some warranty work, be intersested to see what they give me next.

Hi Guys,

P.S.

DJP

Sorry, I think you misunderstood, what I meant was that the forum was light years ahead of anything else, not the car! Although, I do love the IS250. As far as the RX450h is concerned, it was interesting to drive if only to experience the hybrid technology. I'm not bothered about mpg and am not at all technical when it comes to cars, but no way would I pay £55k for it, and agree the HUD doesn't do enough. The handling wasn't great either but it was worth the £10 courtesy car charge. Mine is back in next week for some warranty work, be intersested to see what they give me next.

Well worth £10 IMO, best regards

Just to play devils advocate here and as I am soon to be an RX450 owner and I am new to the forum I wanted to ask why does it seem that various threads appear to have such a downer on the 450? Having never owned a Lexus before i am open to all opinions and interested in all discussions.

Having done my test drive and loved it and ran terrified from BMW and merc garages as they dragged out their list of expensive extras I am thrilled and waiting expectantly for my new purchase. I just hope that the 450 starts to grow on people or it looks like I will be billy few mates on the forum.

LOL - I thought we would all love every Lexus as this is the Lexus forum!!!!!

Totally agree with you on a "Business" user, around town the lexus wins no doubt, BUT I like many don't drive much in town, so not so good for me.

What gets up my nose is all the "HYPE" about technology from Lexus and yet still is falls way short of "STATED" facts and figures.

Just where have these millions of pounds worth of improvement got the car from the 400h, in short NOWHERE.

LexusJohn - I understand that you have an X6 and everyone is entitled to their opinon but to say that there has been no improvement since 400h is a little unfair. To play devils advocate I have driven both X5 and X6 and yes they "out-handle" the RX450 - or to put it another way the ride comfort of the X5/X6 is absolutely woeful next to RX450 which having not even a whiff of sportiness about it is a much more relaxing drive.

As for economy it is a lot down to driving style. You claim upto 40 mpg in your X6 but Top gear are claiming 24 for the same car? What car averaged 37 mpg in RX450 in their tests? It will depend entirely on journey type and driving style. One thing I do know is the RX will switch off and save fuel in traffic but X6 won't.

If you are a business user you can't ignore the 14% BIK and as a non business user you can't ignore the congestion charging saving and less road tax.

I also prefer to be a Lexus owner rather than BMW owner - as a past owner I was never that impressed with BMWs customer service.

Anyway please don't see this as Lexus good BMW bad rant - it isn't! I just feel it is important to say that it's horses for courses. I liked the RX as it suits my driving style and I like the looks, equipment and feel of it. You seem not to - great. Just be glad that we can still drive vehicles that suits our needs and wants still in this day and age.....

Just to play devils advocate here and as I am soon to be an RX450 owner and I am new to the forum I wanted to ask why does it seem that various threads appear to have such a downer on the 450? Having never owned a Lexus before i am open to all opinions and interested in all discussions.

Having done my test drive and loved it and ran terrified from BMW and merc garages as they dragged out their list of expensive extras I am thrilled and waiting expectantly for my new purchase. I just hope that the 450 starts to grow on people or it looks like I will be billy few mates on the forum.

Well, the top of the range RX450h is 5K MORE than the top spec X6 35D, yep 5K, so where did you go for your info, the Lexus is nothing like as quick, economical, and handles like a bean bag compaired to the X6.

Unless you buy top of the range Lexus, the seats are to "SHORT" and tall people feel as though they are falling off them as they do not have enough "Tilt" adjustment". I could go on but whats the use. Lexus DO NOT do as they advertise, and that's the top and bottom of it, this coupled to increased (beyond the cars worth) pricing will ensure it's failiar.

They are not selling as expected. :crybaby:

This car has been extensivly tested in the US and if you watch their videos you will quickly see this cars downfall or rather "Lack of forward progress".

LexusJohn - I understand that you have an X6 and everyone is entitled to their opinon but to say that there has been no improvement since 400h is a little unfair. To play devils advocate I have driven both X5 and X6 and yes they "out-handle" the RX450 - or to put it another way the ride comfort of the X5/X6 is absolutely woeful next to RX450 which having not even a whiff of sportiness about it is a much more relaxing drive.

As for economy it is a lot down to driving style. You claim upto 40 mpg in your X6 but Top gear are claiming 24 for the same car? What car averaged 37 mpg in RX450 in their tests? It will depend entirely on journey type and driving style. One thing I do know is the RX will switch off and save fuel in traffic but X6 won't.

If you are a business user you can't ignore the 14% BIK and as a non business user you can't ignore the congestion charging saving and less road tax.

I also prefer to be a Lexus owner rather than BMW owner - as a past owner I was never that impressed with BMWs customer service.

Anyway please don't see this as Lexus good BMW bad rant - it isn't! I just feel it is important to say that it's horses for courses. I liked the RX as it suits my driving style and I like the looks, equipment and feel of it. You seem not to - great. Just be glad that we can still drive vehicles that suits our needs and wants still in this day and age.....

Firstly as I have said before, I drive "OUT" of town most times, YES the Lexus is better in town.

Top Gear: Well I can drive my car like a loony and get 28MPG, and I mean loony, Clakson must be taken for what he is, nough said.

IF I drive the Lexus 450h like a nun I can achieve 40 MPG UNDER 55MPH, now who drives on motorways at this speed?, not me thats for sure.

At motorways speeds I can average 37MPG in the X6, around town 30MPG.

My driving style must have something to do with it YES, but the same stle was applied to the Lexus and it came up; expensive with less toys and absoutly NO get-up-and-go.

SO NO FUN, and lets face it FUN is a driving factor.

BMW Connect can find you a food store, hotel, golf club whatever while you drive, just press a button and tell them where and what you require, also "Google Maps" can be directly downloaded into the car from anywhere straight into your nav system ( which is good) so.

I believe the SE-L and the SE-L Prem both have the same seats, so that puts it at about £50k. Personally I think the Prem is bad value, it doesn't offer enough over the SE-L to make it worth buying unless you really want the adaptive cruise control, the pre crash system and the (tiny) sun roof, otherwise the SE-L has pretty much everything else on the option list. When I priced up a X6 the other day it worked out about the same as the SE-L as it needed leather, pro nav, blue tooth, heated seats, usb interface, a speaker upgrade, etc. to match the spec of the SE-L - I will point out I did this with the BMW configurator and that I've found this to incorrectly mark standard features as cost options before now.

What I don't like is that you (in the UK) can't get the pretty decent rear screens, nor does it have 4 zone climate and the sunroof is too small, my last two cars have both had very large sunroofs and this time I was hoping to get a panoramic sunroof if I could.

I'm not sure that there hasn't been progress, power is up 10% to 295bhp, but fuel economy improves by 23% to 44.8mpg and CO2 emissions fall from 198g/km to 148g/km, really they should be offering this version of the engine on the GS.

Well, the top of the range RX450h is 5K MORE than the top spec X6 35D, yep 5K, so where did you go for your info, the Lexus is nothing like as quick, economical, and handles like a bean bag compaired to the X6.

Unless you buy top of the range Lexus, the seats are to "SHORT" and tall people feel as though they are falling off them as they do not have enough "Tilt" adjustment". I could go on but whats the use. Lexus DO NOT do as they advertise, and that's the top and bottom of it, this coupled to increased (beyond the cars worth) pricing will ensure it's failiar.

This car has been extensivly tested in the US and if you watch their videos you will quickly see this cars downfall or rather "Lack of forward progress".

Hey John, I wasn't trying to get in a row with the "BMW lovers uk.co.uk" I was just tying to find some Lexus lovers on this Lexus owners club, didn't want to offend you or you car, just trying to get a feel why there is a seemingly long running hate of the 450!!

Anyway must go I need to log onto the BMW owners forum and tell them how great the RX450 is and see how that goes down ;-)

I need to log onto the BMW owners forum and tell them how great the RX450 is and see how that goes down ;-)

What a great way to make friends :)

Hey John, I wasn't trying to get in a row with the "BMW lovers uk.co.uk" I was just tying to find some Lexus lovers on this Lexus owners club, didn't want to offend you or you car, just trying to get a feel why there is a seemingly long running hate of the 450!!

Anyway must go I need to log onto the BMW owners forum and tell them how great the RX450 is and see how that goes down ;-)

:shifty: No offence mate, I am not here for Lexus bashing, it's just I so wanted it to be as advertised, then I would have bought one, again no probs we must however speak as we find. :winky:

This car has been extensivly tested in the US and if you watch their videos you will quickly see this cars downfall or rather

"Lack of forward progress".

:shifty: No offence mate, I am not here for Lexus bashing, it's just I so wanted it to be as advertised, then I would have bought one, again no probs we must however speak as we find. :winky:

Ha ha yeah totally that's a good philosophy to have, your right it's a shame you didn't like it, mine is about to arrive so I will report back on it's pros and cons after several months of testing, perhaps we can exchange notes!!!!

Enjoy your Beamer!!!!!

This car has been extensivly tested in the US and if you watch their videos you will quickly see this cars downfall or rather

"Lack of forward progress".

Ha ha yeah totally that's a good philosophy to have, your right it's a shame you didn't like it, mine is about to arrive so I will report back on it's pros and cons after several months of testing, perhaps we can exchange notes!!!!

Enjoy your Beamer!!!!!

Hope it's all you want, Enjoy and report your findings please, good luck.

You'll soon get to know that there is a group of posters that seem to delight in slagging off anything to do with hybrids.They seem to have a real bee in their bonnet.

And rather than accepting that some people can make different choices that run contrary to their opinions,they have a very insulting and inpolite attitude towards those others who make alternative choices.If other people responded,I'm sure there would be quite a slanging match.

I am sure you are now regarded as an idiot to them,as they know better,gabbler69.I am sure that you are not one,so welcome to the forum and enjoy your new hybrid,I am sure it will be a pleasure to own and drive.

You'll soon get to know that there is a group of posters that seem to delight in slagging off anything to do with hybrids.They seem to have a real bee in their bonnet.

And rather than accepting that some people can make different choices that run contrary to their opinions,they have a very insulting and inpolite attitude towards those others who make alternative choices.If other people responded,I'm sure there would be quite a slanging match.

I am sure you are now regarded as an idiot to them,as they know better,gabbler69.I am sure that you are not one,so welcome to the forum and enjoy your new hybrid,I am sure it will be a pleasure to own and drive.

I will take this post as "AIMED" at me , so I do NOT think anyone on here or any other forums I'm on are "Idiots" far from it. If we can not be constructive and test these cars out for what they are proposed to be then it's a sad world we live in.

I test drive most "High end" cars, and have owned many of them as well. nuf said :shutit:

• 3 months later...