Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I've just bought a RX400h which as a Bluetooth application to enable me to use my phone hands free.

My daughters want to play their ipods through the car stereo. The dealer can fit a FM transmitter so that the ipod can be put in the glovebox and plugged in, which I am sure is fine but expensive, or I can buy a FM transmitter for £20 on the internet (although I am told some of these don't give good results).

I wondered whether anyone had tried using a Bluetooth adaptor with an ipod - such as bluenext or i0? The dealer reckons they won't work but I wondered if the RX400 would recognise them as a telephone and could be fooled into broadcasting them through the speakers.

Would love to hear from anyone who has tried this or has managed to get one of the adaptors to work.

Alison

Hi

I've just bought a RX400h which as a bluetooth application to enable me to use my phone hands free.

My daughters want to play their ipods through the car stereo. The dealer can fit a FM transmitter so that the ipod can be put in the glovebox and plugged in, which I am sure is fine but expensive, or I can buy a FM transmitter for £20 on the internet (although I am told some of these don't give good results).

I wondered whether anyone had tried using a bluetooth adaptor with an ipod - such as bluenext or i0? The dealer reckons they won't work but I wondered if the RX400 would recognise them as a telephone and could be fooled into broadcasting them through the speakers.

Would love to hear from anyone who has tried this or has managed to get one of the adaptors to work.

Alison

If it's any help, I bought an FM transmitter for my ipod and it wasnt great. The signal was at best poor or kept on fading out and you had to keep re-tuning - not great when you are driving. I opted for a Lexus fit ipod adaptor, thats fine, sound quality good, although you have to have your music selected and organised into playlists. I have my daughters old ipod in the car permanently, i can choose to listen to this or change to radio/CD/DVD very easily. You can get other kits which could even work out a little cheaper, I think Vias do a very good kit for the ipod (there is quite a lot of information on this form anout them) but i think you need to fit that yourself or get someone to do it for you.

Hi

I've just bought a RX400h which as a bluetooth application to enable me to use my phone hands free.

I wondered whether anyone had tried using a bluetooth adaptor with an ipod - such as bluenext or i0? The dealer reckons they won't work but I wondered if the RX400 would recognise them as a telephone and could be fooled into broadcasting them through the speakers.

Alison

If it's any help, I bought an FM transmitter for my ipod and it wasnt great. The signal was at best poor or kept on fading out and you had to keep re-tuning - not great when you are driving. I opted for a Lexus fit ipod adaptor, thats fine, sound quality good, although you have to have your music selected and organised into playlists. I have my daughters old ipod in the car permanently, i can choose to listen to this or change to radio/CD/DVD very easily. You can get other kits which could even work out a little cheaper, I think Vias do a very good kit for the ipod (there is quite a lot of information on this form anout them) but i think you need to fit that yourself or get someone to do it for you.

I also had the Lexus factory fit Ipod kit put into my 08 RX400h and it is quite limited to how you use your Ipod. As above you have to put your song selections into playlists, you cant just play a random artist, random track etc. I have a company coming to my house this afternoon (12 volt from Southend) to fit a new style Ipod kit. Basically my front screen will act like an "Ipod touch" where I can select artist and then song or album then artist or browse my entire song list and pick a random song. I have been told that my ipod will appear on the front screen so I can easily navigate between Ipod functions. All this for approx £250.00 fitted. I could have the video option bit this would set me back £800.00 (this is in the RX450h apparantly)

A few of us IS200 owners (including me) use a GROM ipod adapter to control/charge our ipods- I'm sure you can use the same kit of your RX's?

Hi

Alison

You cannot go wrong with this unit...

http://www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk/index.ph...4&Itemid=26

Additional information can be found at Vaistech.com

I fitted a kit from VAISTEC and it works very well with excellent and intuiative controls that give easy access to the iPOD's albums, playlists etc and the sound is superb. By all accounts this is much better than the Lexus offering. Ordered it from the States with no problems. Fitted it myself although any car audio centre or dealer could do this.

Have a look at their webite;

http://www.vaistech.com/products/ipod_products.php

I fitted a kit from VAISTEC and it works very well with excellent and intuiative controls that give easy access to the iPOD's albums, playlists etc and the sound is superb. By all accounts this is much better than the Lexus offering. Ordered it from the States with no problems. Fitted it myself although any car audio centre or dealer could do this.

Have a look at their webite;

http://www.vaistech.com/products/ipod_products.php

There are problems with the Vais unit

1) If you use it for Audio books then everytime you turn off the ignition it will reset the position back to the beginning of the audiobook and lose the bookmark which makes it unusable

2) While it does clever things like being able to look by Album or by Artist you cant look by an Artist and then by Albums for that artist which makes it very difficult to select a specific album for an artist if you have a lot of albums/artists (I have a nearly full 160gb with up to 20 albums for some artists which makes the Artist option unusable).

I now have mine in manual mode awaiting an eval of the new unit (Silverline Pro not Silverline) by DICE that solves both these problems and in addition supposedly can be controlled from the Ipod or the NAV screen in MP3 mode simultaneously WITHOUT switching modes It is also somewhat cheaper than the Vais @ £100.

To be truthfull the manual mode isnt too bad in that it auses the unit when the phone rings or the ignition is turned off but it is a lot of money to do this when others do it for less than half the price.

Wasnt entirely impressed with the Vasi integration into the Nav screen - bluntly it is easier to use the ipod just difficult to read the screen hence the desirability of the new option.

It also took a long time to get any response from Vais tech support which made me less inclined to want to wait for a fix (It is now 4mths on and no sign of any fix nor any replies to my last 2 emails)

Supposedly the Vais gives a slightly better sound but the Dice has much better integration but have seen good reports on the Dice's sound so not sure what to believe.

There are 5 makers of integration kits for the Lexus that I am aware of

Dice (Silverline & Silevrline Pro)

Dension (Gateway 100,200 & Car Kit)

Vais SLI (Video & non Video)

Lexus (Heard rumours this was a rebadged dension)

Grom (the cheapest do an Aux-In or Ipod kit)

I am sure that there are others

All these units are fairly easy to fit provided you have a socket set with a long extension and some two sided tape to make sure you dont drop the bolts. Ther are blow by blow guides on how to do it somewhere on either here or the US forum.

If enough people got together I suspect Daltech would discount the Silverline Pro for a group buy as they did for the BMW forum a while back (£81 inc p&p for 10 or more)

Stephen

• Like 1

I think Steve's post there covers all the possibilities to look at.

FM transmitters work, but sound quality is pretty poor. Bluetooth won't work as the car kit will not support A2DP (the stereo profile) - on the off chance it does play it will sound horrendous as it will be using the profile that phone calls come through on and will probably sound worse than listening to an AM radio station :)

I think Steve's post there covers all the possibilities to look at.

FM transmitters work, but sound quality is pretty poor. Bluetooth won't work as the car kit will not support A2DP (the stereo profile) - on the off chance it does play it will sound horrendous as it will be using the profile that phone calls come through on and will probably sound worse than listening to an AM radio station :)

Had a guy from 12 Volts in Southend visit yesterday and fitted a DICE Silverline ipod kit to replace my factory fitted Ipod kit. Total cost plus fitting £200.00. It is conected to the front screen and the 6 DISC buttons as follows

Button 1 : selects song within an album or artist

Button 2 : selects playlist and then press button 1 to play the songs within that playlist

Button 3 : selects album and then select button 1 to play ALL songs for that album

Button 4 : selects artist, press 3 for album within that artist, press 1 for songs within that album

Basically stick your ipod on music and you can select artist then all songs for that artist and you can control this via your steering wheel or dashboard controls.

Next thing is connecting the PS2 to the rear of the drivers seat (already have the connector leads, red, yellow, white,), quoted me approx £100.00 fully fitted.

Would highly recommend the company and the guy who came to my home and fitted the kit, Andy

Had a guy from 12 Volts in Southend visit yesterday and fitted a DICE Silverline ipod kit to replace my factory fitted Ipod kit. Total cost plus fitting £200.00. It is conected to the front screen and the 6 DISC buttons as follows

Do you know if this is the old one (Silverline) or the new one (Silverline Pro) which you can use both the nav screen and the ipod screen without having to switch modes?

If the new does it work reasonably well in this dual mode?

Does it allow you to select artists/albums while in motion?

rgds

Stephen

Do you know if this is the old one (Silverline) or the new one (Silverline Pro) which you can use both the nav screen and the ipod screen without having to switch modes?

If the new does it work reasonably well in this dual mode?

Does it allow you to select artists/albums while in motion?

rgds

Stephen

Dont know about what model it is, have to look at the manual as it only states Silverline on the front. Once you plug the Ipod in to the cable in the glovebox the control is done via the front screen and the steering wheel. It tricks the console into thinking that it has a MP3 player. It uses the 6 CD option buttons, button 5 is used to select the ipod or another auxillary connection (dvd etc....) and button 6 is not used.

You can select albums,artists,playlists and songs whilst in motion. If you press button 4 on the front screen it selects album by artist or you can scroll through all albums, wait 2-3 seconds and then if you select button 3 you can select the album for that artist, wait 2-3 seconds and then select button 1 to play the songs for that album. You can do all this by pressing the front screen or the steering wheel in motion or at a standstill.

The front screen lists the artists name and the album name and the song name. So if you are selecting albums it will display the album name, if you are selecting an artists album it will display the artists name and album and if you are selecting songs it will display the artist, album name and song.

Also you can conect your ipod on shuffle and connect the cable it will shuffle all of your songs in your library and display artist and track name.

Hi

Alison

Hi

Alison

Hi Alison, wow how complicated is this ? yes I bought a iQ bluethooth dongle to plug into i pod but the audio system will not accept the signal so the easiest solution is buy a Pure Highway DAB radio with an aux 3.5mm imput socket for an i pod, this then sends the signal to the RX audio by FM but unlike every other FM send device I have tried it works really well and you gain all the extra radio stations. The only downside is you cant control the i pod via vehicle touch screen but for about £75 (www. dabonwheels ) so what ?, the only other thing you need is a male to male 3.3mm jack lead to connect the 2 devices. I drive all over the country listining to quality reception with just the small supplied aerial tucked in to the moonroof surround, it is so simple to fit as it just plugs into the cig lighter and auto tunes into the audio which then shows DAB Pure as a preset station. I have bought the high tech VAIS interface directly from USA but not sure I can be bothered to fit it as the Pure works so well !

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

im so glad my ls400 has a tape deck.....

for less than a tenner you get a tape adaptor and for that you get crystal premium quality sound and you can use the mp3 player however you like

Modern technology eh???? they just still havent cracked it have they

• 2 weeks later...
im so glad my ls400 has a tape deck.....

for less than a tenner you get a tape adaptor and for that you get crystal premium quality sound and you can use the mp3 player however you like

Modern technology eh???? they just still havent cracked it have they

Doesn't the RX400h have a tape deck?

Surely it could be used for something.....

Tape adapters also give a lot better quality sound than an FM transmitter, and much cheaper too!

£12.99 from Argos (I am sure you can get them much cheaper than this, though).