Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Alloys Get Very Dirty And Impossible To Clean

i've gone through a number of sets of front alloys due to bubbling but one thing i always notice is that when the front ones become dirty, they become alomost impossible to clean 100% they build up black tar like dirt that just doesnt come off. Whereas the back ones stay very clean. although the back ones get dirty, none of that tar like stuff sticks to it making it very easy to clean during the washes.

i am about to put in a new set of front alloys and wanted to know if there is anything that can be applied to prevent the tar like stuff from sticking, and how often it would have to be re-applied. i have previously applied Chemical Guys Wheel Guard wax and sealant but it never made much difference.

Do you have OEM Toyota/Lexus pads fitted?

If you do, then the OEM ones produce a lot of brake dust. If you want to stop excessive brake dust then you need to be looking at aftermarket pads which produce less brake dust.

As steve says use water and shampoo then polish

i use simonize wash n wax with warm water and a sponge

then i use maguires carnuba wax to help protect them

Doint use any acid based cleaner as they can harm the laquer on the wheel

i've gone through a number of sets of front alloys due to bubbling but one thing i always notice is that when the front ones become dirty, they become alomost impossible to clean 100% they build up black tar like dirt that just doesnt come off. Whereas the back ones stay very clean. although the back ones get dirty, none of that tar like stuff sticks to it making it very easy to clean during the washes.

i am about to put in a new set of front alloys and wanted to know if there is anything that can be applied to prevent the tar like stuff from sticking, and how often it would have to be re-applied. i have previously applied Chemical Guys Wheel Guard wax and sealant but it never made much difference.

Front alloys on virtually every car do this. The cause is mainly heavy braking especially from high speed which makes the brake dust very hot and more likely to embed in the lacquer and tar deposits from the roads. I am afraid the first answer is to drive a bit better and use less heavy braking by anticipating the need and slowing down by taking your foot off whenever you can. This way uses a lot less fuel too, your brakes and tyres last longer and you get where you are going just as soon. To clean alloys, a visit to the supermaket for stiffish washing up brushes and an all plastic wall-paper brush to use with a simple detergent will shift nearly anything, and you just have to do it as often is needed.

I recently bought a pack of KENT Car Care washmit/wafflemit from Costco for a few quid. Use them and a bucket of luke warm water to clean my alloys. Brake dust is a fact of life I'm afraid :( But using repeated chemical cleaners can't be good for the wheels themselves.

Something else that you may find useful are the non-acidic/non-chemical based wheel cleaners. I am not an obsessive cleaner - but when the mood strikes I just use a glove and hot water :)

• 4 weeks later...
i use bilberry wheel cleaner to wash them, and alloy wheel wax after. even after 2 months of not washing the wheels the brake dust comes of with a simple wipe using a kitchen towel :)

There is a Lexus TSIB for this, at least there is in the U.S. after so many owners complained of excessive dust. I have the alternative OEM pads on the front of mine, but as I have uprated to IS350 Calipers and discs I guess the part numbers will not be of any help to most (unless you have a GS300 Mk III which has the same set-up).

My fronts have little more dust than my rears now, and the wheels wash very easily.

Use the search facility in this forum and the U.S.A forum and you'll find a load of earlier posts on the issue.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links