Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Boot Lid Springs

My boot lid on a 2005 IS200 barely open the lid about half an inch, whereas when I got the car the lid opened fully, right up to the rear window. Lexus Norwich fitted new ones today, but with no improvement - they think the parts may have been incorrectly boxed. They didn't charge me, and they are trying to obtain correct bits, or failing that, get the whispered coil spring version. It is vital we get the lid working properly, as my wife uses the key fob to find the car by opening the boot. Anyone got any comments please?

Mine didnt open properly, found that one of the bar things at top inside the boot had popped out of its bracket, popped it back in and it started opening again fully with the remote.

Might be worth looking to see if that has happened.

Iain

My boot lid on a 2005 IS200 barely open the lid about half an inch, whereas when I got the car the lid opened fully, right up to the rear window. Lexus Norwich fitted new ones today, but with no improvement - they think the parts may have been incorrectly boxed. They didn't charge me, and they are trying to obtain correct bits, or failing that, get the whispered coil spring version. It is vital we get the lid working properly, as my wife uses the key fob to find the car by opening the boot. Anyone got any comments please?

hi mate

mine did open fully but when i put the boot lid spoiler on it didnt

do you have a spoiler on yours?

wahid

Yes I do have a spoiler, but it always opened fully for three years until recently. Lexus Norwich think they may have been supplied with the non-spoiler springs, boxed as spoiler springs. During many years as an engineer, designing and building racing cars, I have always felt that the Japanese cannot make spring steel, brilliant though they be in every other way. My old springs simply got tired, and gave up the ghost quite suddenly.

I think it is essential that the boot opens fully, as when you are lugging several bags of shopping, it is a real pain to try and open the lid with your elbow.

davkel

im not sure if there are spoiler springs for the fitted spoiler in the Uk, but i do know there are different springs for the TRD spoiler when fitted in Japan, as i still have a set from when my spoiler was fitted many years ago

Sounds like they've got the wrong springs - there are definitely two different sets of springs for the IS200, one for cars with no spoiler and one for cars with. I've driven '05' plate cars with the spoiler and they definitely had boots that opened fully off the key so make sure they get you the right replacement springs.

I thought the bootlid is supposed to 'pop'- not open fully?

My bootlid only 'pops'- it doesn't open fully (mine's a SE without a spolier)

i'm in and out of my boot all the time and had my springs replaced just before warrenty ran out i've noticed this morning that the part of the hinge that the springs sit in has snapped away from the rest of the hinge.

it looks like i will have to take parcel shelf out to get boot lid hinge out to get it replaced or welded.

some of you may have the same problem as mine used to lift now just pops open (sport with spoiler)

They just get limp as they get old. Mine started life quite sprightly and only took around 6 months for it to pop instead of opening so I got a replacement spring set fitted under warranty. At first it was terrifying, I was genuinely worried that the back window would smash one day. But as time's gone on it's reverted back to it's limp way of life.

If anyone's interested there's a good guide somewhere on here for fitting gas struts I think. If anyone wants to do it one weekend in the west mids/Staffs I'd love to go through it

Yep they say that to allow for the fact it gets weaker over time. Mine opened all the way when new, then died, had them replaced under warranty and it worked again for a while. Now not really bothered about it :)

Cars with spoilers have more powerful springs to make them open - some fitted these to cars without spoilers a few years ago which really springs the boot open with some force for those that want it.......asked my dealer about them who were happy to do it but mentioned that they had heard of a few cases where the boot flung open so vigorously (on a hill for example) and cracked the rear screen.

Sounds like they've got the wrong springs - there are definitely two different sets of springs for the IS200, one for cars with no spoiler and one for cars with. I've driven '05' plate cars with the spoiler and they definitely had boots that opened fully off the key so make sure they get you the right replacement springs.

I have an estimate from Norwich for two kinds of springs, numbers as below:

K64532-53031 £22.45 Plus VAT

K64531-53031 £22.45 Plus VAT

K64531-53050 £25.23 Plus VAT

K64532-53050 £25.23 Plus VAT

Labour is £95.00. Only two of the above are required, but it is not clear from the numbers which are which.

I shall not give in! I have asked Norwich to insist on a cure, even if it means fitting the alleged coil springs, or even gas struts. They agree I should get the appropriate result.

For those who are concerned about the lid hitting the rear window, there is a rubber stop fitted to each side which one of the lever arms hits to prevent it opening too far. If this worries anyone, you could glue a rubber tap washer on top of the existing bump stop to stop the lid a bit earlier.

Davkel

The Final Answer!

I have just had new springs fitted by Norwich, as herewith:

K-64532-53031 £22.45

K-64531-53031 £22.45

KPZ402-V3450-01 £4.74 Described as "004061/Spoiler"

The total was £111.71, and it took about half an hour. The boot now opens all the way, just as it did when I first had the car. It might not last, but we shall see.