Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

in the middle of september my warranty will be off, so I am checking what to fix before.

I was looking in the engine bay and on the left hand side (standing in front of the car) just below the grey engine lid there is something what looks like rust. Also, one part is red coloured...

Could you please look in your car on that place how does it look like?

My is IS220d, 3y old, 47kkm...

thanks a lot for your help.

post-15251-1251130386.jpg

post-15251-1251130408.jpg

I have a 220d se mm....18 months old with 25k miles. Just checked the engine and it is the exact same as yours. Its either nothing to be concerned about...or we both have a problem. I suspect the former.Anyway, it would be good to hear from somebody in "the know" about these things.

Have a look at your brake calipers. If you haven't painted them they'll be rusty too. Nothing to worry about, just a carbon or low alloy steel component that has so much wall thickness that Lexus didn't think it worth putting a protective coating on.

Without going to look under my bonnet I can't figure out what that is. What I can tell from looking at the pic is that it is a cast steel component and you would expect it to get a surface patina of rust over time. It's nothing to worry about - as was said above it's so thick that you and I will be long dead before it became a problem - if ever. Rust isn't always a bad thing - if you don't believe me look at The Angel of the North!

• 2 weeks later...
Without going to look under my bonnet I can't figure out what that is. What I can tell from looking at the pic is that it is a cast steel component and you would expect it to get a surface patina of rust over time. It's nothing to worry about - as was said above it's so thick that you and I will be long dead before it became a problem - if ever. Rust isn't always a bad thing - if you don't believe me look at The Angel of the North!

didnt notice the angel of the north being rusty last time i drove up to newcastle..then again it was pouring down! :)

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for your replies.

I had to go to the dealer anyway. One week before the warranty was out I jacked the car and checked the bottom (I was just curious if everything is fine). And I found leaking turbo...!

Clipboard01.jpg

So I booked to the dealer two days before the end of warranty. Later the service guy called me and said: turbo has to be replaced.*

So did they. It took 3 days, I had RX350. Can't complain about the service at all.

He told me, that they have never had any problem with turbos. New turbo costs 2300 euros without VAT...so quite a lot. + 7 hours of work.

So diesel friends, I recommend to check it. When you will be at the bottom of the car, you have to remove small cover (where is the oil filter) - through this I took the pics.

* do you know the risks when the turbo leaks?

There are two options:

1. The rotor axe starts to move in the bearings, so the bearings start to fall apart. Remember that the bearings are constantly cooled and lubricated by engine oil. In one point the bearing crashes, which causes that the turbo starts to suck not just air, but also the oil. The oil becomes the fuel...so even with released accelerator, the engine speed will be increasing, increasing, to the point when the pistons and valves will meet, and kick out the engine block head...

2. when the bearing crashes, the fan of turbo will hit the wall of turbo. The fan will be destroyed to tiny parts, and these will be sucked in by engine, causing the pistons and valves crash...

take care...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links