Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg Dif Between 95-00 Engines

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, im soon to shelve my old astra with the view of getting an LS of some sorts. I have been looking through the forums at running costs and am a bit undecided on which year and model to get. I do a reasonable amount of mileage per year (24k) and am tempted by either to get a 95-00 LS.

As experienced connoisseurs of the LS would somebody be able to tell me the difference in the MPG during the model years 95-00? I have read that the engine was up rated in 97 and gave better fuel economy 28+MPG. What do people actually get and which years are their cars. I understand the LS is not exactly a lightweight so am expecting something in the mid 20s but it would be nice to get some owners feedback.

Any info would be appreciated, also if anyone here is looking to sell their car between 95-00 I might just be in the market in mid September.

All the best

Chris

My Mk2 LS400 (K reg) returns 15 around town and 22 on a run, thankfully it came with an LPG kit.

I agree a newer model is the one to go for, much better consumption. I look forward to upgrading over the years as the newer ones get cheaper and I can afford them!

The search tool will find plenty of MPG threads, I think that's why no-one has replied yet, lots of people recently have been asking stuff that is easily found and has been discussed to death.

The LS400 is an absolutely brilliant car, I seriously doubt I will ever drive anything else for a long, long time, had mine for 5 months and I love it

Have no idea how much my 94 LS does to the gallon, don't do enough mileage to bother

If you are doing 24K a year, the thing to avoid is being stuck in a traffic jam with 8 cylinders

using petrol while you aren't going anywhere..........

My '95 Mark 3 gave me approx 22 mpg around town and 30ish on a trip. My '99 Mark 4 was about the same and my

'06 430 is fractionally worse. If you're doing 24k a year I would hazard a guess at approx £90 per week for fuel.

Thank you everyone for your replies, found alot of threads from using the search. I think I will be getting a 1995 or 1996 if there isnt much of a difference. If the fuel gets too much I will probably go LPG. Looking forward to getting back to luxury motoring, previously had an XJ-S and if the LS is half as good as that I will be smiling everytime I go out.

95 96 Is the better looking if not the best of all the LS400s IMHO. Last of a line and one where most of the problems were sorted.

Not a lot of head room, Rear window doesn't clear easily, Silly placing of alternator under the PS pump, dirt traps behind rear wheels. Dash dimming otherwise brilliant!!!

Most people appear to consider the Jag a poor second to the LEX or third after the BMW. My Jag was rubbish '82

Thank you everyone for your replies, found alot of threads from using the search. I think I will be getting a 1995 or 1996 if there isnt much of a difference. If the fuel gets too much I will probably go LPG. Looking forward to getting back to luxury motoring, previously had an XJ-S and if the LS is half as good as that I will be smiling everytime I go out.

Hi & welcome

I think you will be astounded as to how good a ls 400 is, bear in mind these cars were developed by Toyota to be the best luxury car in the world ( in their class ) Mine is now 10 years old 140 000 miles & in the last 10,000 miles has blown 1 brake light bulb. I drive 650 miles to south Germany non stop ( apart from fuel ) & get out as fresh as I got in & love every minuite of the journey. These cars are responserble for destroying mercs & bmw s reliabillaty ( as they had to start to try to build them down to a price ) a friend of mine has a 10 year old pampered e38 740 bmw with 90,000 on it & has no end of trouble with it. All of the 400s are good depends on your budget. But for me the mark 4 is the one to go with, no dash problems & is the best equiped, the longer you own it the more you will love it, For me anything else is second best & will not be parting with mine volentarily for a very very long time. ( normally I change cars along with my underpants) NOT ANY MORE.

Ta Mark

(normally I change cars along with my underpants)

How do you remove the barnacles ?

Usual way......with copious volumes of Vodka?

Hi, Mr Bean!

I agree that the 98-01 (Ser 4) is the best choice. I'm toying with selling mine -only cos I've retired and rarely use it.......BUT then I drive it again!

Lex-Sur, if you want to go for a drive in a 95 Series 3, I am just up the road in Fleet, and at home from now till Tuesday.

I am going for an LPG, as I do over 20 K miles a year, maybe we could get a group buy discount?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links