Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Drivers Wing Mirror Mystery

Hello All.

Firstly I have to say that the LOC and great information provided in these pages helped me a lot in my decision to buy Lexus. Thanks to everyone here

I've just bought a 2000 MkIV LS400. As a result of research here I hope I have avoided some potential problems and found a "goodun"!

133k had a timing belt change at 117k in August 2003, so done less that 17k in the last 6 years (I hope this is a good thing?)

Had her around 3 weeks, already driven from UK to Amsterdam which helped put 300+ wonderful miles under my belt.

I have so far, just one niggly problem -

Every time I turn the ignition ON, the drivers wing mirror turns outward a couple of degrees.

If I turn the key OFF to ON, a few times, I can "walk" the mirror right out. If I continue past the midpoint, the mirror itself motors fully outward....

I can operate the mirror park switch and the mirrors close inward to the correct position, and when operated again, open to the correct position.

Currently I have to operate the wing mirror park switch every 6 journeys or so, to re-align the view!

I confirm, that the adjusting switches work fine, for both sides.

If I leave the selector centred, the wing mirrors dont dip when selecting reverse (Correct I think).

Seat memory button returns the mirrors to the set position correctly too.

So operationally it all appears to be working correctly.

I wonder if anyone has encountered this, or has any suggestions as to a fix?

Thanks again

Kev T

• 7 months later...

Bump

Does anyone have any experience in dismantling the drivers wing mirror, and if so, is there a cog or something in there that might have lost a tooth?

Any help appreciated, it's the only thing wrong!

Well done on an excellent purchase. Whilst I can't help with the problem of the wing mirror moving on it's own, I can confirm that my car which is also a MK4 does something similar and I have to re-adjust it to the correct position every so often. Mine I think seems to move upwards though rather than outwards.

With regards to the dipping in reverse, you need to have the mirror switch set to the drivers side for it to work.

• 7 years later...

That timing belt may be overdue for replacement.  I think six years is the period or mileage.  I'd be tempted to leave alone as it is a costly job. If the belt does go, then get another Car might be best option.

The belt taken off my Car looked in very good condition but I had no history with the Car so don't know if it was original or changed briefly before I bought it. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links