Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Having just bought a 2nd hand IS250 SE from Reading they are trying to sign me up for 3 services for £645 in advance. I have not investigated whether that is a good deal yet.

Hi,

Edinburgh Lexus quoted me over 900 quid for 3 services on 220D.

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

20,000 Mile service for diesel

Lexus Edinburgh £440

Lexus Glasgow £320

Independent garage using genuine Lexus parts to keep warranty intact £188

10,000 mile service was quoted £170 but got it free as a gesture of goodwill due to all the warranty issues I had.

Just had a 40,000 service on my 220d sport at a local Toyota service centre. Cost £220 including the brake fluid change. Also changed the 2 rear tyres 255/40/18 (Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta) for £242 which I thought was a cracking price until on inspection I saw they put on 225/40/18's in error. We will be "sorting something out" together on Monday when they correct their error.

• 4 years later...

Check Lexus web site, they normally give prices for all services for each type of car and what they do for each service.....

Allan

Quotes for my recently purchased (private sale) IS250 M/T 55 plate 48,000 miles & sketchy service history.

Went to see service manager ( very helpful to be fair), get free health check ( nothing major ).....not OEM wiper blades :-) ....tut, tut..... & see what the cost was to get the vehicle into a place where I was confident of no major mechanical issues etc.

Lexus Coventry

60,000 full mega service £645

70,000 intermediate £245 (standard web older lexus price)

90,000 intermediate £245 (standard web older lexus price)

100,000 full + £595

Offered the service plan for whichever route I wanted to take.

V66

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

Hmmm...I find these prices absolutely eye-watering! I do all my own servicing - I can count the number of times I have taken my car to a garage for other than MoTs during the last 47 years on one hand, and that has mostly been for clutch changes when I haven't had facilities - although I have done half a dozen clutches (not all my cars!) myself.

Let's see what's involved - here is the service schedule I use - pretty much standard Lexus schedule.

You will note that a lot of the items say 'MoT' by them - these are the items checked by MoT inspectors each year - why pay a Lexus technician to do the same checks again? MoT inspections are pretty much spot on these days, if you go somwhere you can trust. I actually check most of these things myself, but there's the option! There are one or two extra notes to jog my memory!

Most of these are checks - mostly by Mk 1 eyeball - see later for replacements and costs!

Every 5000 miles

Replace:

Engine Oil 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Sump Plug 30 ftlbs

Oil Filter - Lexus/Toyota - torque 18 ft lbs

Check:

Air Filter

Cabin Filter (Check aircon is in recirculate!)

Every 10000 miles / 1 year

Check:

brake pads ; Discs MoT

Washer systems ; wiper blades MoT

Tyres MoT

Exhaust and mountings MoT

Steering and suspension components MoT

Auxiliary Drive Belt

Lubricate Hinges/Locks

Check all controls and lights

Road test

Reset Service indicator

Every 20000 miles / 2 years

Check:

Damage and corrosion

Brake Pipes and Hoses MoT

Coolant/Anti-freeze (Replace @ 100000 miles/10 years))

Automatic Transmission Fluid (my car is automatic, obviously!)

Drive Shaft Boots MoT

Brake Pedal; Parking Brake - check & adjust

Battery - condition/security/electrolyte

Underbonnet connections and hoses

Headlight beam adjustment MoT

Seat belts MoT

Longer

Spark Plugs (Denso FK20HBR11 X 6)

Brake Fluid

Charcoal Canister (er - not sure I'd bother with this!)

OK - materials required:

6 litres and a bit of suitable oil - I use Dexos2 - check it out - available on eBay for £20 for 5 litres - less if you buy in bulk

Oil filter - genuine Lexus - £10.99 (includes sump plug washer)

(Both the above at 5K mile intervals - I like frequent oil changes!)

Air filter - £;5.00 (I don't believe expensive air filters do any more filtering - I'd rather change a cheap one more often! Say 20K mile intervals - Lexus say 40K.

Cabin filter - £6.17 (Ditto) 20K mile intervals.

(Both above from eBay -prices as of 21/6/14)

New wiper rubbers are about £11.00 from Lexus. Change every year or two.

Spark plugs - about £65 total (eBay from USA). - but 60K miles at least intervals.

Brake fluid (low viscosity)- about £12.00 /litre. Every two years.

Coolant - Toyota concentrated - ~£26.00 for 5 litres, plus a few quid for deionised water from Halfords!

That's it, apart from a few sundries such as copper grease, spray grease etc.

There's probably a fuel filter change involved somewhere, but Lexus don't seem to mention it)

And there are a few extra items such as diff oil changes (60K miles and check drive shaft flange bolt torques - 15K miles)

You can add it up for whichever service you're doing - and compare with Lexus prices.

Now I know that not everyone can do their own (or have the time and/or ability) and if you park your car on the street it will be difficult if not impossible - but you can work out how much you're paying the Lexus dealer for the privilege! It is where they make their profit, after all!

You probably want to have the work done by a Lexus dealer for the first three years to keep your warranty intact - but my car is 8 years old, so what the hell? I do about 8K miles per year. (PS - that's the IS250 - I have a 22-year old supercharged MX-5 as well which has never seen a garage! (Ok - once at one year old) and a Seat Mii (wife's) which will get two garage services (at one and two years) before I get to grips with it!))

Apologies for a long post!

• Like 1

I agree with John - they are easy to work on (well for most parts) If you are confident in doing it / have the time and space to do it then why not. I think in doing the work yourself it gives you an understanding of how the car works which is a good thing and if you do buy the proper parts and the good stuff then you do know what's being put into the car which is piece of mind to me.

The only time in the past 5 years of ownership that I have put a car into a dealer was my old IS200 and that was a precautionary measure to have the cam belt replaced.

I think if you are keeping the car and plan to do a lot of miles in it (take it over 100k) then no matter what the history is then its not going to matter if it has a history or not as a majority of garages will steer clear of high milers as the perception is still there to avoid them - only the few in the know about these types of car can confidently buy them.

I agree with John - they are easy to work on (well for most parts) If you are confident in doing it / have the time and space to do it then why not. I think in doing the work yourself it gives you an understanding of how the car works which is a good thing and if you do buy the proper parts and the good stuff then you do know what's being put into the car which is piece of mind to me.

The only time in the past 5 years of ownership that I have put a car into a dealer was my old IS200 and that was a precautionary measure to have the cam belt replaced.

I think if you are keeping the car and plan to do a lot of miles in it (take it over 100k) then no matter what the history is then its not going to matter if it has a history or not as a majority of garages will steer clear of high milers as the perception is still there to avoid them - only the few in the know about these types of car can confidently buy them.

Yeh your right about the history mate , you might as well do it yourself when miles get high , the sad thing is I've taken mint cars into garages with full history , and I've taken a bit tatty cars in to and the just give you book price , maybe a hundred quid or so for a cleaner car . Absolute tat .

.. If only the value went up with age !! Also - why does your car insurance go up the older your car gets? I cant figure that one out....

Maybe if a few more people knew about the reliability of these and the fact they can take the high miles in their stride and if people started buying more of them the value of the cars would hold a bit better when selling..

Brake Fluid change at Lexus Woodford is £60, dont know how often the system needs to be drained and refilled.

I think its not bad price.