Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Key Needed

mcwatson

Hi,

I have an IS200 Sport on a 51 plate and had it since new. I had two keys when I got it and the first deteriated to the point that the casing snapped leaving the metal key part detached from the main fob part.

The second key has started to do the same and it's now being temperamental in unlocking the car. Just spoke to a main dealer and it's £160 if they need to order a key and reprogram it or £80 if they get me a key and swap the insides out. Either way, it still feels a lot when I have the original unit.

Any alternatives to getting a new key that anyone knows about?

Hi pal,

Im a locksmith and know how much they roughly charge, you dont have to get these from a Lexus dealer.

Pop down to your local security or locksmith shop, i wouldnt pay no more than £80 for a new key.

Another option is to buy the blank fob from eBay and then take this to a locksmith for coding and cutting.

Remember, if its over £100 there trying to Scr*w you.

Hope this helps!!

Phill

Thanks guys.

I've done exactly as suggested and ordered a key fob from eBay yesterday. Before I did that, I went into a local locksmiths who suggested the same and said when I get the keyfob through, take it in and he'll cut the blade for me.

Just gotta get a new Battery now and when the keyfob has been delivered, all should be well.

What I have noticed however is that since the keyfob has been playing up, I've tried locking the car with the actual key. Unfortunately nothing happens, the key just turns (both ways) but the car doesn't lock. I haven't used the key to open the car for what must be months if not a couple of years so not sure how long this has been like this!

Any ideas?

The same happened to key for my wifes IS200 and I bought a key off eBay and went around all the locksmiths in South Wales more or less and could not get it cut anywhere. Even lexus in Cardiff ( the nearest dealer ) could not do it themselves and was told they are ordered from a central location which is the same for all Lexus dealerships.

I live in Swansea and ended up contacting a locksmith business called Caboodle in York ( Telephone number 01904 788346 ).

I took the electronics out of the key and sent it to them and they then supplied a new key complete with casing which had the lexus logo on the back and cut it, then phoned me to pay over the phone with my debit card, and they then posted it out first class all for £31.00. When I received the key, just popped the electronices back in and worked a dream. I have noticed that the spare key which I use for the wifes car is starting to go the same way with cracks in the casing, so will be getting another one soon.

What they told me on the phone was that the machine used to cut the key was so expensive that they will only cut thier own sourced keys as there are a lot of blank keys being sold which have been produced in China and the steel composition isn't the same which may damage the machine when cutting.

For £31.00, I was delighted and ended up selling the blank I had bought on eBay, on eBay.

Thanks Nigel..... The locksmiths I went into indicated he had no problem with doing the cut so will wait to receive fob from eBay and then take it in and see what happens. If he backs off from doing it, I'll go down your suggestion as £31 is much better than going via the dealer. I was told by them they have to get them sent in from Germany!

My key started breaking up (casing) a few weeks ago called in to a local locksmiths and they supplied and cut a new key and transferred electronics while I waited for £50 - only downside was that there was no Lexus Logo on the case just a blank area where a Toyota Logo that came with the key could be stuck if required.

Buy a key blank from Ebay making sure you get the right length blade and three button version. Get a decent key shop to cut it for you for about a tenner and swap the internals. No programming required, job done.

I did exactly as you suggested some months ago except it cost me about £15 to cut the blank key. Works perfectly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links