Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Crack

kam05

I got up late this morning (too many cheeky beers last night :)). I decided to wash the car, but i noticed this crack on the bottom corner of the drivers side windscreen:

DSC00209.jpg

Just got back from Autoglass, they've told me its this stonechip that's caused the screen to crack:

DSC00210.jpg

The Autoglass tech told me that since the chip was in the bottom heater element (the weakest part of the screen apparenty) the crack has grown due to the weight/strength of the plastic running along the bottom of the windscreen. Autoglass have told me that they will order a replacement screen in the morning (have asked for OEM Lexus glass if possible) and it should be fitted later on in the week.

My glass excess is £70. As my car has done 125k, there are a lot of chips on my screen so I guess that this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Any tips from anyone who has had a replacement windscreen? I know about leaking screens causing water to leak in the fuseboxes in the footwell, so I'll be asking the tech to apply lots of bonding on the screen.

Any tips from anyone who has had a replacement windscreen? I know about leaking screens causing water to leak in the fuseboxes in the footwell, so I'll be asking the tech to apply lots of bonding on the screen.

It might be a good idea to have it fitted at one of their centres rather than have a mobile guy do it outside.

i got quoted over£700 for OEM screen from auto glass just last year, ROBBING GIT'S.

so i got a copy one from a firm in Lancaster (windscreens direct) for £170 fitted.

Are you not fully comp?

It might be a good idea to have it fitted at one of their centres rather than have a mobile guy do it outside.

i got quoted over£700 for OEM screen from auto glass just last year, ROBBING GIT'S.

so i got a copy one from a firm in Lancaster (windscreens direct) for £170 fitted.

Are you not fully comp?

yes i am full comp but with £250 excess and my insurer told me i would also lose 3 years no claims

Are you not fully comp?

yes i am full comp but with £250 excess and my insurer told me i would also lose 3 years no claims

You need to think about changing insurance then, as most just have excess of £60/70 now, and it don't lose your clams :winky:

Are you not fully comp?

You need to think about changing insurance then, as most just have excess of £60/70 now, and it don't lose your clams :winky:

Yep change insurer, my side window got smashed by a stone flicking up from another car... i paid £50 excess and kept my no claims discount (original Lexus window with smoked tint aswel, signed for the bill for the insurer...was over £300.....nastly for them not me :D)

pp

Yeah, I will be getting the replacement windscreen fitted at the local Autoglass centre instead of at the office/home.

My NCD is not affected by claiming for this replacement windscreen.

Just had a call from Autoglass- they will be fitting a OEM Lexus windscreen (not a Pilkington windscreen which Autoglass wanted to fit, but I insisted on a OEM screen).

Autoglass told me that my insurance company (Esure) wouldn't pay for a OEM Lexus windscreen, but I called Esure who told me that they would pay for a OEM Lexus screen (just had to get Esure to give Autoglass confirmation to fit a OEM Lexus screen). I want a OEM replacement screen to avoid water damaged fuseboxes, wrong colour tint, non Lexus windscreen not fitting properly etc that could happen with a Pilkington screen.

The new screen will be fitted at the local Autoglass centre and not at my home on Saturday.

Had a new (OEM Lexus) windscreen fitted on Saturday.

The Autoglass tech has done a good job (no ripped A pillars etc). I did warn him about leaking screens= water in the fuseboxes. The Autoglass tech said "Yeah I've seen that happen to a few IS200's, don't worry mate, I know what I'm doing"

As we have just had a sunny/dry weekend I left my car on the drive so I guess the windscreen has had a good chance to seal properly now. I guess the test will come when we get some heavy rain.

Hoping it should be ok though.

Edit: I asked how much a OEM screen is without claiming for it on the insurance, £470!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links